Notices

Last Day 1

Old 04-21-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last Day 1

been struggling, had to bad binge last night resulting in vomitting, anxiety and Deppression.

had 2 beers couple hours ago and then threw all remains alcohol down the sink.

Have spoken to AA and mental health nurse. For me alcohol consumption is not possible. Alcohol has destroyed me and will take my life if I drink again

Its got to be total abstinence from now on.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its good your poured the rest out. Sorry you are struggling and hurting. SOunds like you did the responsible thing and reached out to AA and nurse. ALso good for posting. Wishing you the best Stable.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're putting in the right first steps in the process- best of luck.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

call your doctor and discuss a proper and safe medical detox since alcohol withdrawal can be lethal.

You made a great decision to get sober!!
Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back. What can you do to ensure you don't drink again? Maybe you can add something to your recovery program to help you with that.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've had quite a few day ones lately. I hope this is your last one.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is a solution and a wonderful sober life available if you want it and work for it 🙏
Old 04-21-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Its got to be total abstinence from now on.
Damn right man; it's that first drink that ******you up.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m now nearly 7 hours sober and starting to feel a bit better.

im going to have to work for now.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stable -

The good news is that you don't ever need to have another sobriety date.

Today is a great one - please be sure to not change it.

Glad you're seeking medical attention and AA.

I got both, and I've been sober ever since.

Please keep us posted.

We need you on SR, amigo.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

What Sober CAH said

D
Old 04-21-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Total abstinence is the ONLY way for people like us. Well done on taking the decision to save your life.

🙏❤
Old 04-21-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stable,

Good for you for keeping getting back on the horse. It is brutal to feel like you are being bucked off repeatedly, but you keep trying. I applaud that.

I've been thinking a lot about my sobriety lately. I'm at 351 days (not that I'm counting ), What I've noticed is that, like almost all addicts, the first year of sobriety has been REALLY hard. But, it has also been getting MUCH easier. Of course there are ebbs and flows and ups and downs, but, on the whole, things have gotten much easier.

I think of the term "sober muscles", which I'd never heard of until I started reading here on SR. Anyway, when I first quit, if I really, really had an urge/craving to drink, it was nearly impossible for me to not make a grab for that glass of wine. I had zero sober muscle. Not grabbing that wine seemed almost as ludicrously unfeasible as falling asleep in a handstand position . Not drinking just wasn't natural AT ALL, and so the slightest urge and craving made me in deep danger of capitulating.

Anyway, when I first attempted quitting a couple of years ago, I made it to four months before I jumped off the wagon. I wanted to see if I could moderately drink (I know...I know...crazy). Anyway, no surprise but I couldn't. The day after I had my first drink I was right back where I started. What was so surprising about that first drink after 4 months, though, was how hard that drink was to take. Even though I wanted it, and I had planned it, and I definitely was going to take it, it felt....hard. Instead of my arm shooting out to grab the glass of wine, it felt like I had to push through some kind of emotional cement to make myself take a sip. I remember my sister asking why the heck I wasn't drinking since I'd ordered my wine and had clearly decided to drink it. No, I wasn't conflicted at all about drinking in that moment, but my sober muscles had gotten so strong it was literally hard to work against all of the brain retraining I'd done and chuck it all and drink. Of course, where there is a will an addict will find a way, and I made myself drink despite a huge part of my brain obviously trying to get me to stop. But, wow, my sober muscles were actually putting up a legit fight in the arm war against the addict muscles. This was shocking and unexpected, to say the least.

My point is, during THIS so far successful quit, I've now been sober almost a full year. And, while I've certainly had my challenging moments, I can tell my sober muscles have gotten even stronger than they were when I nose-dived at four months. This is SO comforting to me. I know now that if I am ever in a danger zone, it will be even harder for me to slip up. Regardless of what I want, my sober muscles have been trained and will put up a fight. They are on MY side. The rational side of me, that is, not the addict me. How wonderful.

As I read about your struggle, I think to myself, I wish Stable would stop doing the hardest part over and over. When you drink, you are deciding on short term gratification and long term pain. I'm sure you would prefer short term pain and long term gratification, but you can only get to that long term gratification part with sobriety. It is literally the only way there. There is no other route but through the relatively short term pain of quitting drinking (short term compared to the REST OF YOUR LIFE). You can do this. You really can. Cliche, but if I can, anyone can. Just give your damn sober muscles time to build up and up and up, so they can have your back in this fight. Unfortunately, each time you drink, you're basically atrophying them, causing them to waste away. You're self sabotaging yourself.

I know you know all this, but I also know sometimes I would read something that someone would say in a minutely different way and, miraculously, it would make something click in my brain. So, if it helps, just try to remind yourself each time you are tempted to take a drink that you are on your sober muscles team. Don't help the other team. They're the bad guys. Eventually, if you continue to have those sober muscles' backs, they will do most of the work for you. They really will. And it feels really good. I promise you that. It's worth it.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Samantha

I know how you feel. .
so glad you came back here and you throwing away the rest of the alcohol is so good.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stable - That's exactly the conclusion I came to just before quitting forever - 12 yrs. ago. I couldn't control the amounts I drank, & it was out to kill me. Being here at SR gave me the strength & courage I needed to stay sober. We know you can do it.