Notices

sports question

Old 12-01-2004, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face sports question

Before incredible self-doubt took over my being and motivated my excessive alcohol consumption, I used to be a serious athlete. I think part of the reason I've spent so many years drinking and smoking was to destroy that part of myself, because I was raised to believe athletics - not intellectual pursuits - were a waste of time. I gave up sports to please my parents, who wanted me to be an academic only. So this was akin to denying my own wants and preferences in this life (which, really, I have done all my life) - which, in the end, is guaranteed to make a person sick in soul.

I talk to my therapist about this sometimes; he says "who are you?" and Isay "I'm an athlete" - even though I've been destroying my health for the last 17 years. At my core that's who I still believe I am.

I wondered - are there any other athletes out there who want to return to the former sportive life? I don't know how to start. I don't know if it's too late. Anybody else got an experience of this?

I miss being on the playing field, but I'm afraid to head back out.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Slowly step back out.
I bought a peddle bike and found I couldn't even make the trip 5 miles to a gas station for air in the tires. I have taken karate and paced myself but I tend to push to hard and over do. I went back to playing adult soccer ( both indoors and out) Softball leagues would be a nice way of getting back into things as well. Thing with the leagues... so many I see use the game as a reason to share a case of beer after. Golf, bowling, a ref., a walk in the park, swiming at the Y or on the beach. A pulled muscle from getting back into things fast or a heart attack.... watch and think of the risks and get back in slowly. Be mindful of what happens when that last out has the winning team go for the coolers. 19th hole, or just a stop at a local as a group. When we look ahead we can better prepare and stay on track with our recovery as we remain sober.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm Ken...

...and I'm an "athletic alcoholic."

I still have to use that at a meeting some day!

Yes, I tried training for years while keeping up my daily beer habit -- guess what -- it didn't work!

So, now I am slowly getting back into training, losing weight and preparing to race (triathlon) next year.

When I say slowly, I will not even attempt a running program until I get some weight off, and get to 15% body fat, to avoid injury. I also ride my bike, and will get back in the pool pretty soon...

Don't know how old you are, but I'm 41 -- but you can be an athlete at any age I believe... again, just take it slow...

Ken
Old 12-01-2004, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ink2.

I am former varsity football player.... 4 great years of competition !!... Sure I miss it, but I still lift weights, do cardio and play touch football.. Would I love to get back to it ? No doubt !!!! Perhaps one day..
Old 12-02-2004, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Boxin' I gave up for drinkin' and smokin'..Still kept on bikin'...(like a mad) Love from Stefanie
Old 12-02-2004, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm an athletic alcoholic, too, Ink. Like everyone above said, just take it slow. I used to amaze myself (not in a good way) by how hard I was able to push myself even with a hangover... now, I'm just glad to be able to trot along for a few miles while clean and sober. I've got a big hike planned for next summer (26 miles and 12 mountains in a day), and I'm also training for a triathlon next spring. I do think it's possible to get back into it, even after the bodily abuse we've done. Just go easy & chip away at small goals, while having a larger one in mind for the long term.

Good luck!
--anne
Old 12-02-2004, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Serenity Plus Plan

Hey Ink!

I used to play football and track (shot, discus, javelin) in high school and when not drinking in adulthood, running. I was so proud of myself when I finally made it 5 miles at a time! Well drinking stopped that!

I'm 40 now and after a very long time of eating very poorly, rarely exercising, I decided to change my diet and join a gym.

I just went yesterday to the gym and met with the nurse (it's affliated with a hospital) and a trainer and came up with a program that doesn't push it too much. I was very happy to discover that my blood pressure was 132/84 and my heart rate was 64. The blood pressure is still alittle high. Just 8 - 9 months ago my blood pressure was 180!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that perhaps you should see a doctor and get checked out first and both of you come up with a exercise plan. Or perhaps if you join a gym they can help you come up with a plan.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

I can't wait to go to the gym today! And I too was very academic - constantly reading - but I guess that's what English majors do! But exercising always helped me concentrate more.

It is exciting to get back to working out!

Good Luck and be Healthy.

Richard
Old 12-02-2004, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This was great - thanks so much. I don't know how to say this without sounding condescending - because I'm SO not...I don't have enough self-confidence to be condescending - but one thing I would like that the AA meetings I attend don't offer is like-minded sports enthusiasts...I wish there was a support group of alcoholic athletes that could get together at the gym and support each other through training...reaching goals, etc. It's so hard as an alcoholic for me to reach any goals, and having training partners that understand the issues around that lack of discipline would really help me.

i told my shrink i was going to approach the university of toronto exercise physiology department at the university of toronto to see if any phd candidates wanted to do some some of thesis on returning to healthy after being an addict...and they could use me as a guinea pig.

so far i am managing to walk for an hour every day, no matter what the weather is or if i am hungover or not (which is often the case).

3 days of sobriety.

thanks again.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ama

Hi Ink!

I think you just started the alcoholic athletic thing. Good sound advice as always from (((((dear Exlibris))))) and others. I know that my addictive personality does make me transfer so I must be mindful of that.

AA is about recovery from alcoholism - that is the primary goal of AA!!! With healthy minds all else is possible. I am a day ahead of you now with 4 days. And I joined a gym last Friday to get healthy too. Its all about balance it seems to me anyway. Dont look at what is missing from AA - look at what adherance to its programme of recovery offers instead - Freedom!!!!! Luvs Ama
Old 12-02-2004, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i love going to AA meetings, even though i haven't pushed myself too hard towards getting up out of the back row for now. i am always at peace when i walk into a room where everybody is in the same boat, everybody knows what i'm going through, and ain't nobody judging anybody else.

might check out the crowd tonight and see if i can spot some fellow jocks!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

what sports are you into ink2 ?
Old 12-02-2004, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days, Ink -- training is a LOT easier without hangovers than with!

Ken
Old 12-03-2004, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

TG28!

I actually live north of toronto - so i have been taking advantage of the recent snowfalls to do a lot of x-country skiing...i used to be competitive in that sport.

once upon a time i had an addiction (ha ha) to watching professional cycling, but that has waned over the years as i battled depression and lost interest in a lot of things.

also into kayaking/canoeing; i'm in serious love with my canoe.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

NoMoBeer... Damn straight it is !! The reason why I could never get my abs to come out was due to beer drinkin'.. With beer I would always try to have chicken wings... Of course when you're hungover the next day, who wants to eat healthy or cook for that matter -- pizza was my weapon of choice... Great to be sober these days.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ink2.. That's cool.. I do the elliptical machine at the gym, so that's sorta like cross-country - just without the cold.. haha

Canoeing is fun as well.. There is bunch of us ex-football guys that get together each summer for a 3-day trip across the Mississippi river (in Ontario of course).. A lot of work, as there is a need to portage.. Always great to get away from the smoke of downtown TO and into the wilderness....
Old 12-03-2004, 10:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i just moved out of toronto...left the corporate world behind and headed back to the country because city living was fuelling my addiction. i've come north to try to ge my health back, but it's still hard. when i'm outside, though, i feel alive.

(slipped up last night again, though...BLAST!! picking myself and dusting myself off - like you said to me on day one.)

where'd you play varsity? and don't you think some exercise physiologist grad student should study volunteer to train an addict like me back to health? i think it's an excellent idea!