Notices

Day 8.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Day 8.

So I am now on my 8th full day.
So far this week: 5 HIIT bootcamp sessions. 15km of jogging. Many walks (don't time or track length...sometimes its hours a day), I do a squat challenge each day and am up to 140, a sit up challenge and am up to 75, a burbee challenge up to 8 but I can do more lol. Let's keep in mind I am overweight and this is hard for me. My body hurts from the running as I have a bad hip. But I need to keep motivated. I've also been working all 8 of these days...8 hours each.
I am trying to stay busy but the weather is turning better and I want to sit and relax with a beer!
Why are certain things such big triggers?
Old 04-17-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're working hard and exercising a lot. Good job on getting through Day 8.

Triggers like nice, warm weather are common in early recovery. But, you can get through them and each time will make it easier. My suggestion is to have a specific plan in mind for when something unexpectedly triggers you.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It sounds like you're working hard and exercising a lot. Good job on getting through Day 8.

Triggers like nice, warm weather are common in early recovery. But, you can get through them and each time will make it easier. My suggestion is to have a specific plan in mind for when something unexpectedly triggers you.
I don't really know what type of a plan to have. That's why I've just been keeping busy.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I don't really know what type of a plan to have.
Perhaps one that addresses triggers.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ZIP

Wow! Nice work, 'rock. Creating good habits to crush the bad ones...

​​​
Old 04-17-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, AR!

Congratulations on 8 days. One week + up your sleeve.

Be mindful of your hip.

Have you thought about interspersing with a bit of mediation, relaxation?

Balance between body and mind. I'm not doing it currently, but found yoga really helpful. Surprisingly so.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do these plan links help at all AR?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Yes, AR!

Congratulations on 8 days. One week + up your sleeve.

Be mindful of your hip.

Have you thought about interspersing with a bit of mediation, relaxation?

Balance between body and mind. I'm not doing it currently, but found yoga really helpful. Surprisingly so.
I should maybe try yoga, good idea. Might stretch out my hip and help me relax a bit. I went for a run today and tried to keep it light because I am sore and have shin splints. However....just got back from a 2hr walk with my fiance and that was relaxing but my legs hurt sooooo much.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

thanks dee. Will take a look tomorrow when I don't feel like passing out haha....I'm pretty tired!
Old 04-18-2020, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My plan starts with I am never drinking again.

I use any and all other suggestions or plans e.g. sr, aa, smart.

I take what I need and leave the rest.

Since getting clean I have generally found I have more energy than I thought.

But, I also found that I can easily use that energy to over do it.

It happens weekly. I have to listen to my body without listening to my mind.

Sore muscles vs mentally tired after sleeping 6 to 8 hours. The 2 are different.

Exercise is my go to therapy. Being helpful is way up there too.

If you are feeling this good at 8 days, you are in a way better place than me.

I was going insane at 3 months. I am heavily kindled and didn't start to really break free until about 3 years clean. The mental scars help me as well.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Exercise is fantastic, but for me, it would need to be supplemented with something that treats my brain, too. My alcoholism is a brain-body connection and I have to treat the entire body (and brain) which is why those 12 steps of AA helped me so much. It gives my brain some work to do to heal.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 days
Old 04-18-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
My plan starts with I am never drinking again.

I use any and all other suggestions or plans e.g. sr, aa, smart.

I take what I need and leave the rest.

Since getting clean I have generally found I have more energy than I thought.

But, I also found that I can easily use that energy to over do it.

It happens weekly. I have to listen to my body without listening to my mind.

Sore muscles vs mentally tired after sleeping 6 to 8 hours. The 2 are different.

Exercise is my go to therapy. Being helpful is way up there too.

If you are feeling this good at 8 days, you are in a way better place than me.

I was going insane at 3 months. I am heavily kindled and didn't start to really break free until about 3 years clean. The mental scars help me as well.

Thanks.
I really cant think like that...I'll never drink again. I'm just trying to make it through one day at a time. There are no meetings here right now due to COVID 19.
I was doing bootcamp on day 1 so yep by day 8 I feel great, but I have done bootcamp for the past 9 months so I was already feeling good.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I really cant think like that...I'll never drink again. I'm just trying to make it through one day at a time. There are no meetings here right now due to COVID 19.
I was doing bootcamp on day 1 so yep by day 8 I feel great, but I have done bootcamp for the past 9 months so I was already feeling good.
Booze is a central nervous system depressant. It is highly addictive and alters my bodies natural ability to create endorphins and dopamine. I needed booze to feel normal.

I think physically some folks bounce back sooner, but mentally it takes years. The addiction morphs into anything to get the fix. Happy, sad, feeling better, angry etc etc. Denying the crave causes suffering. Hell on earth.

It is a death spiral. It will add to my early demise, if not kill me directly. Besides I was going through life as a chemically altered version of myself. The real me was drugged.

Drinking was pretty much pointless. Drinking was a learned behavior.

Unlearning it takes years. There is no easy way out except suffering and time.

Waking up each morning feeling a natural melatonin buzz and getting natural endorphins all day is the way I was designed. It rocks.

You are correct, I started out 1 moment at a time too. Now it is never again. I am born again. Proud and strong.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations Samantha. You are rocking this! Like your style.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thanks all. Although i felt like drinking due to the weather and also a friends and family "gathering" (house party app) where people were drinking....I made it to day 10 and my fiance and I have a 4 hour walk route planned!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Booze is a central nervous system depressant. It is highly addictive and alters my bodies natural ability to create endorphins and dopamine. I needed booze to feel normal.

I think physically some folks bounce back sooner, but mentally it takes years. The addiction morphs into anything to get the fix. Happy, sad, feeling better, angry etc etc. Denying the crave causes suffering. Hell on earth.

It is a death spiral. It will add to my early demise, if not kill me directly. Besides I was going through life as a chemically altered version of myself. The real me was drugged.

Drinking was pretty much pointless. Drinking was a learned behavior.

Unlearning it takes years. There is no easy way out except suffering and time.

Waking up each morning feeling a natural melatonin buzz and getting natural endorphins all day is the way I was designed. It rocks.

You are correct, I started out 1 moment at a time too. Now it is never again. I am born again. Proud and strong.

Thanks.

This is my experience in a nutshell! It describes my addiction perfectly.