Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Digging myself out (Jr's procrastination self-challenge/accountability thread)

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I'm about 105 days or so sober; handling it pretty well, one day at a time.

Speaking of time, the first week I was on SR back in January I posted about my life-long procrastination problem.

The main area where I perpetually put off tasks, thereby sabotaging myself, despite all my best intentions is:

Keeping up to date with work projects without continually extending my own deadlines, then berating myself for not making the progress I know I am capable of, thereby assuring I can't fully enjoy my off time, because (I tell myself) I didn't get enough "real" work done.

I am self-employed; luckily I have work through this coronavirus isolation period, but my Big P problem is with me as much as ever.

Long story short, I've decided to try posting this thread, where I will "publicly" (on this anonymous site) commit to specific work goals and commit to reporting back on the extent to which I've followed through.

So here goes: It is now about 12:15 p.m. I'm going to post this thread, sign off SR, eat lunch and do a couple of quick household tasks, and commit to my work projects for two hours, then report back on this thread between 2:30 and 3:00 p.m.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am with you and share the same problem.

I am sure you have seen it but the Wait but Why site is amazing.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is something I try to manage as well. Whether I'm working in my little office upstairs, out checking crews, or doing field work, I don't have the drive I had years ago. I do better if I'm meeting someone or have a timeline to stick to, otherwise it can be difficult to get myself going.

There has been improvement since I quit drinking. I think that the lack of a hangover has a lot to do with it.

To be honest though, I feel like I've made my mark in my industry and just don't feel like I'm on the hook to impress anyone. Perhaps it's too comfortable of a position and I should arrange some competition for myself.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

This is a good idea for a thread.
Good luck with it jr.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dropsie, CB, and saoutchik.

No, I haven't seen that Wait but Why site, Dropsie; I'll check it out *after* workywork today.

Right now, just checking in shortly before 3 p.m. as self-promised. I'm going to take a brief stretch-break, then work for 2 hours, till 5 p.m., and check back in again.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a good plan, jr. I think having specific goals each day is great. It really helped me to have specific, short-term goals each day so I could cross things off my list.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My post-5 p.m. check-in:

I worked steadily till just now. Yay.

I'll report back here by 8:30 tomorrow (Friday) morning with my first work plan of the day.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jr checking in with jr.

Starting work at desk. Will check back in about 2 hours.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A little late with check-in but for good reason (emergency at home office -- a squirrel is trapped in the wall of the house ... ... so we are dealing with exterminators, etc.).

It is now about 3:10 p.m. and I'll work at desk for at least 2 hours and check back in.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How's the squirrel?

Have the same problem, decide to put colored post-it notes on my door, and some brutal and honest commentary(on me) after the task on why the note it there, may cause some weird associations later but hey! One day at a time😄
Old 04-19-2020, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And how are you?
Old 04-19-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm fine, Dropsie, and we think the squirrel(s) is/are ok too, lol.

Exterminator cancelled yesterday because they didn't want to be exploring holes on the roof through the snow cover(!).

Snow cover? In Boston, on April 18? It happens, and it happened yesterday (I vaguely recall a few flakes one year on May 6 or so). Today we're back to seasonal temps for the spring, I might take a bike ride later.

So the exterminator came today, found the squirrels' presumed place of entry/egress and blocked it; found their nest in the attic. They seem to have gone out foraging for the day so we think they are gone, baby, gone (they haven't been heard today so far).

Still haven't checked out that site, Dropsie, so here's jr's check-in commitment:

1. Check out the Wait but Why website.

2. Workywork for 2 hours minimum, till about 3:30 p.m. (still doing catch-up, even on a sunny Sunday).

3. Maybe a bike ride, or some yard work; something outside (new task added to the list: cut away tree branches that are too close to the house, making it that much more enticing to critters like squirrels; potentially racoons, etc.).

4. Report progress here at about 3:30 p.m.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jr check-in to jr: I did check out the WBW website; I remember I had seen the TED talk a while ago but not the posts on procrastination. Entertaining and informative, right on the mark for me in several regards. Thanks for the heads-up, Dropsie.

I did some desk work for 1.5 hrs, then got called outside to oversee 3 neighbor kids playing with (tormenting?) one of our dogs. J/k re the tormenting, it was all good fun but an adult needed to be out there to make sure the dog didn't get over-excited by the stimulation of three 5- and 6-year-olds smothering her with attention.

I'm back at the desk for an hour; I'll check back in then.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Worked another hour or so; stopping soon.

Jr to check back in from work desk by 8:30 a.m. Monday.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, Jr.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jr's at his work desk.

Today:

15 minutes in SobeRlandia forums, till 9 a.m. local.

Project A for 2 hours.

Check in here, 15-minute break.

Project A for 2 more hours.

Check in here, 45-minute break.

Project B, one hour should be enough, or more if needed.

Check in here.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jr's at his work desk.

Today:

15 more minutes in SobeRlandia forums, till 9 a.m. local.

Project A for 2 hours.

Check in here, 15-minute break.

Project A for 2 more hours.

Check in here, 45-minute break.

Project B, one hour should be enough, or more if needed.

Check in here.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Checking in:

Unscheduled Project A-Prime took up the morning, but I was working till now.

Now:

20 minute break, lunch and SR time.

40 minutes on Project A.

Meeting re Project A-Prime at 1:30 p.m., about 1/2 hour.

One hour on Project A.

15-minute break.

One hour on Project B.

Dogs to park, about 1 hr.

Back to Project A for 2 hours.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

9:30 a.m., I've been at work a half hour, and I was doing a needed non-work task for an hour before that.

Plan:

Work from now until at least 5:30 p.m. (will include a 40-minute round trip to deliver something to an office downtown at some point, and I'll take dogs to park during that outing, making it 90 minutes or so total).

Must do at least 4 hours in office on Project A and one hour on B today, as well as respond to other work issues that will come up.