Notices

This 24/7 AA link saved my life yesterday

Old 04-26-2020, 07:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Samantha

Re: This 24/7 AA link saved my life yesterday

This is amazing....I stayed on all night and just listened. I didnt get any sleep but it helped to be around people who understand. It's literally 24 hours a day! If anyone needs help it is great. I'm still on right now and already recognize people who were on last night and again today. Highly recommend!
Old 04-26-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Is this quite literally a live meeting that goes on for 24 hours? Obviously people will come and go but I think it's absolutely amazing. I also find it very reassuring and as anxiousrock has posted above it helps being around people who understand.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Is this quite literally a live meeting that goes on for 24 hours? Obviously people will come and go but I think it's absolutely amazing. I also find it very reassuring and as anxiousrock has posted above it helps being around people who understand.
it is 24 hours. So each hour you get a new host. And right now there are 175 people in! You can chat and get help and share. For me it's actually better since I have social anxiety....I can be quiet or speak if i want. So super helpful....I wish more people knew about it. It's very addictive haha
Old 04-26-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
it is 24 hours. So each hour you get a new host. And right now there are 175 people in! You can chat and get help and share. For me it's actually better since I have social anxiety....I can be quiet or speak if i want. So super helpful....I wish more people knew about it. It's very addictive haha
Yes I suffer from social anxiety too. What I like about this 24/7 link is that I can switch off the video and just listen to what is being said. I've used the chat feature and found that useful. How do you speak? I assume you need to have your webcam switched on but how do you know when to speak? With 175 people on there how does one (metaphorically) raise a hand to indicate they want to share?
In the support group I'm in (and which is on hold at the moment due to the coronavirus pandemic) the group is quite small, usually about 20 people at the most and often a lot less than that so it's easy enough to be able to speak up without me feeling awkward and shy. Even then I often feel very anxious as by nature I tend to have to think about what I am going to say before I say it. I think most people with social anxiety are like that, they think they will make a fool of themselves by saying something silly.

I quite like the mix of accents in the 24/7 group though many seem to be from somewhere in the US. One thing I do like is trying to guess which part of the US they are from. I'm probably wrong most times though! I do wonder if people think they may not be understood. I've got a fairly strong regional UK accent so I don't know what someone from outside of the UK would make of it...
Old 04-26-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Samantha

Yes I suffer from social anxiety too. What I like about this 24/7 link is that I can switch off the video and just listen to what is being said. I've used the chat feature and found that useful. How do you speak? I assume you need to have your webcam switched on but how do you know when to speak? With 175 people on there how does one (metaphorically) raise a hand to indicate they want to share?
In the support group I'm in (and which is on hold at the moment due to the coronavirus pandemic) the group is quite small, usually about 20 people at the most and often a lot less than that so it's easy enough to be able to speak up without me feeling awkward and shy. Even then I often feel very anxious as by nature I tend to have to think about what I am going to say before I say it. I think most people with social anxiety are like that, they think they will make a fool of themselves by saying something silly.

I quite like the mix of accents in the 24/7 group though many seem to be from somewhere in the US. One thing I do like is trying to guess which part of the US they are from. I'm probably wrong most times though! I do wonder if people think they may not be understood. I've got a fairly strong regional UK accent so I don't know what someone from outside of the UK would make of it...
I looooove the mix of people! If you want to speak you have to "raise your hand".... under the more tab at the bottom. I haven't shared yet but it seems most people just like to listen and a lot of the same people share all the time. I don't have video so I am just listening and loving it so much. A lot of people from UK and Ireland so hopefully someone understands you lol....give it a go!!!
unfortunately last night there were a few poor intoxicated people....I guess that happens a lot.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Samantha

I looooove the mix of people! If you want to speak you have to "raise your hand".... under the more tab at the bottom. I haven't shared yet but it seems most people just like to listen and a lot of the same people share all the time. I don't have video so I am just listening and loving it so much. A lot of people from UK and Ireland so hopefully someone understands you lol....give it a go!!!
unfortunately last night there were a few poor intoxicated people....I guess that happens a lot.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When I was browsing around AA info the other day, found the AA Grapevine which I think is a monthly magazine requiring a paid subscription. Due to the closure of a lot of meetings, they are offering FREE digital versions from issues January 2020 - May 2020. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

AA Grapevine
Old 04-26-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes, there was someone on earlier this evening who sounded drunk. But I'm assuming it's like this sometimes in a face-to-face AA meeting. I've only ever been to two AA meetings in real life and both times there were a couple of people who looked the worse for wear and while they weren't disruptive they were what I'd call "chatty", that is they talked a lot.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Samantha

Yes, there was someone on earlier this evening who sounded drunk. But I'm assuming it's like this sometimes in a face-to-face AA meeting. I've only ever been to two AA meetings in real life and both times there were a couple of people who looked the worse for wear and while they weren't disruptive they were what I'd call "chatty", that is they talked a lot.
yes unfortunately these people also wanted to talk but due to the number of people you only get 3 minutes and they had to be asked to just use the chat function rather than speak .
Old 04-26-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
When I was browsing around AA info the other day, found the AA Grapevine which I think is a monthly magazine requiring a paid subscription. Due to the closure of a lot of meetings, they are offering FREE digital versions from issues January 2020 - May 2020. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

AA Grapevine
this is great! Thanks
Old 04-27-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Samantha

Dee is there anyway to share this info to the people in the alcoholism sub forum?
Old 04-27-2020, 03:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting link!
Old 04-28-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vino88 View Post
MayI ask you where do you get the "Meeting Password"? I can't enter otherwise. :/
You shouldn't need a password if you enter by the link and click on the RED button...
www.247aaonline.com
Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thisis amazing....I stayed on all night and just listened. I didnt get any sleep but it helped to be around people who understand. It's literally 24 hours a day! If anyone needs help it is great. I'm still on right now and already recognize people who were on last night and again today. Highly recommend!
Have you seen me there? I am Tracee / Rhode Island...I sometimes share in the 10am (Eastern time meeting)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
Have you seen me there? I am Tracee / Rhode Island...I sometimes share in the 10am (Eastern time meeting)
I did see someone who had Rhode island so I bet it was you. My first few days were a blur so although I was on for 10-12 hours each, I don't even know what I listened too it was just nice to feel the support and not feel alone. I have been going on every day, several times a day.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Idid see someone who had Rhode island so I bet it was you. My first few days were a blur so although I was on for 10-12 hours each, I don't even know what I listened too it was just nice to feel the support and not feel alone. I have been going on every day, several times a day.
So happy so many have found it....It literally saved me from a drink the first day I went on.....it was like a relief to have people on my screen..people that knew WTF I was going thru....some doing well..some now that I have 21 days suffering more than me and I'm still not RIGHT after 21 days.....Its right were I belong....I love it too.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Can we make this a sticky? I am getting a lot out of the meetings but have to keep coming back and finding this thread for the link!
Old 05-03-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

If we made a banner in flaming neon across the top of every forum, people would still ask for the link lol.
The simple solution is for those interested to individually bookmark the site I think

D
Old 05-04-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you for this link. I will be checking it out!