Notices

Even Music is a Trigger...ugh.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Samantha

Music is a huge trigger for me!!! Why? When I drink I listen to music and then when I hear those songs again it reminds me of drinking.
and I only really listen to the same 5 bands I listened to in high school because music makes me so emotional so I went years and years and years without listening to it. So this happens a lot to me lol
Old 04-13-2020, 08:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Music is a huge trigger for me!!! Why? When I drink I listen to music and then when I hear those songs again it reminds me of drinking.
and I only really listen to the same 5 bands I listened to in high school because music makes me so emotional so I went years and years and years without listening to it. So this happens a lot to me lol
Which 5 bands??
Old 04-14-2020, 12:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Music and drinking was a huge trigger for me too. As I got sober I was able to listen to music again, but even now, after four years of sobriety, music and specific songs still remains my biggest trigger.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am currently being triggered by all the music and community in apartments here in Italy. I live alone, no one to dance with on the balcony. I am lonely and want that kind of connection. This video last night really hit me hard ..

https://www.facebook.com/11535349986...0630/?vh=e&d=n
Old 04-14-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I live alone too, Mera. And I have no balcony! The Italians certainly know how to make the best of the situation. Wine, music, and balconies is all they need. As a student, I did the backpacking across Europe thing, but we ran out of money by the time we got to Italy so had to miss it....
Old 04-14-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah I totally relate. I quit playing in a band for about 18 months after I got sober and didn’t listen to some songs for a few years really. I was in mourning for a long time after I quit drinking and a lot of that was grieving for the experience of getting smashed listening and watching my fav bands.

The good news is for me that my love of music came back stronger in sobriety and the association between drinking and music got broken and long forgotten. You just have to give it time and keep working your recovery. Like has been mentioned alcoholism is an inside job so truthfully there’s self medication happening even when it appeared to be just music and alcohol.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My love of music has really come back stronger now that I'm sober.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
My love of music has really come back stronger now that I'm sober.
This has absolutely been my experience too. As a musician my ability to play also improved and continues to improve in My sobriety and recovery.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I quit when True Blood was on HBO still. I would save half a fifth to drink while watching that every Sunday night. I looked forward to it. The first few times it did trigger me to drink but I wasn't going to drink no matter what so I just watched the show. Eventually, I learned to enjoy watching it without drinking. It takes a time to break associations. If it's something you like with alcohol it will be something you like without alcohol. Probably even more so without the alcohol because it overpowers everything.
I didn't finish Tru Blood! I still love Snooki too!
Old 04-15-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I didn't finish Tru Blood! I still love Snooki too!
Neither did I. When they messed with the Eric Northman character it ruined the show for me.