Notices

Filling the day with movies, cooking, and whatever...

Old 04-13-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Filling the day with movies, cooking, and whatever...

I am getting fairly adept at filling 16 hours sitting around the house. I am 6 weeks away from retirement...I think.

My health is everything. The only thing I am working for is greed. I have said this here before...Greed is a deadly sin. Greed for money or power. No matter, it is deadly.

Anyway...

I have learned to immediately pause whatever movie I am watching for any distraction or face missing key and interesting portions. This means a 2 hour movie can take 4 hours or more. No biggie.

I watched Cloud Atlas yesterday. It was a 3.5 hour movie due to special features etc. It took me around 7 hours to finish.

That movie should have won an oscar. Omg. Smh.

Anyway...

Found a recipe online for pizza using baking powder.

Used meat flavored spaghetti sauce, mexican style cheese, and some salami.

Loaded it all up in a greased cast iron skillet and baked at 450 for about 18 minutes.

Delicious!

Next time I might prebake the crust, just because it came out a bit doughy. I had to refire the whole pizza on the stove top and burned the bottom a little bit.

Still tasty though.

Anyone have any quick, easy, and delicious cooking ideas?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think in these times we are learning to appreciate the smaller things around us that we might normally take for granted and also come patience too
Old 04-13-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have a crockpot? Throw all your favorite things in, turn on and voila! Loving my new air fryer also.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can remember really liking Cloud Atlas, but I can't remember a thing about it, so I might have to rewatch. And I often pause films and shows several times to do other things. I thought I was the only one who did that.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by D122y View Post

Anyone have any quick, easy, and delicious cooking ideas?

mac and cheese then throw in some steamed broccoli

Old 04-13-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG I live the same exact life as you do with the TV and pausing and how long it takes me to watch a show...if I decide to stop and do something else I just pause...

Something to cook that is easy: Next time your out buy a cheap "chuck roast" (cheapest crappiest piece of meat in my opinion) but it tastes so good like this..

Marinade it overnight in 1/2 cup of OJ...3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 table spoon of Worcestire….(cover with foil)
cook 325 for 3.5 hours....wala…

I made this for Easter for me and my son because I was lazy I grabbed the first piece of cheap meat I saw....
Then all we did was make mashed potatoes and you can have any veggie or no veggie.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Deep dish homemade is very delicious and I might make one this weekend. Certain items are very hard to find here at the moment, I have to go the store Friday and I'm in no rush. I'm still working even knowing the fact that someone sick can shed 100 billion viral particles everyday, everyone is stressed but trying their best to comply.

I'm very glad I got sober last year because I don't what I might be doing or where I'd be now with this situation if I didn't quit.

I had some homemade chicken soup with side chicken tacos made from chicken thighs (all the store had, meat was gone) cooked it very low and slow last night, reheated it was perfect.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I cook plenty. I've been home with my mom and stepdad since the New Year after a brief lapse in sobriety, but things are going well. Cooking is a passion of mine, even though I've (hopefully) left it behind in a professional sense. Oddly, baking is my mother's province, not mine.

I'm lucky enough to still be working. I'm at a local grocery store, and while I am aware of the risk it entails, I'm happy to have that to fill my time and keep me financially stable.

Not much for movies, and I won't lie, the lack of auto racing is taking it's toll on me. I've watched some of the iRacing events for IndyCar, NASCAR, and F1, and while somewhat entertaining, it's not like the real thing.

I've actually found I've been getting more into mom's procedural shows she likes. God help me, I can name characters from New Amsterdam.

I also have a love interest who is presently working from home as a social worker. Clearly, this takes up a fair amount of my evenings. It's interrupted by distance, though we did meet briefly yesterday before she left for Arizona today. Social distancing and distance in general are forcing us to take things slow, which, given her family's alcoholic history and me being me, can't be a bad thing, even when uncomfortable.

For me, it's easy to remember that this is all temporary. I'm keeping an eye on how Denver is dealing with their homeless population during all this, since I spent a year and a half in Denver Rescue Mission's recovery program. If anything, my interactions, though sparse, make me appreciate the people I'm around more, and give me a deeper sense of gratitude in my day to day life. That helps me stay grounded and keep perspective more than anything I can "do" during the day.