Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I quit... 2 months... 10 days.. isolation..... is gonna kill me

Notices

Old 04-12-2020, 12:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Forget the alcohol...

I havent had heart to heart, human contact since before xmas.

that was 4 months ago... I dont go shopping to go shopping... I go shopping to be around people.

Granted I am an introvert - for those who dont know what that means, I can only handle soo much 'people' at once after a certain limit they can all go f off...

On the flip side I have no problem being alone - to an extent....I am self medicating with twitter and FB... I have been banned by over 2 dozen fb groups in the past month..

I used to be able to go to 'pick a bar' and order a drink.. and just mingle... to get my people fill... when needed... now?

I am not sure what to do. this forum, no offense, i avoid like the plague. it reminds me of 'It'

but maybe, it can hell me with this?
Old 04-12-2020, 12:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

almost 4 MONTHS of no real human to human contact... i feel like I am going ******* crazy
Old 04-12-2020, 12:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And now their talking june before we reopen?

possibly long for the whole virus thing...

**** me.....
Old 04-12-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe this forum can help! Try and focus on the recovery side of things; for me I watched a ton of recovery films early on but granted that might not be for everyone.

But yeah well done on over two months, that's huge. In time you'll see people again and you'll be stronger for it!
Old 04-12-2020, 02:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this is where one day at a time helps.

Its important to stay grounded and not lose yourself in thoughts of 'I'm never going to have human contact again' that's clearly not true.

I'm not sure where you are in the world but there are volunteer opportunities everywhere - you have to weigh up your need for connection against how you might feel about being at possibly greater risk of the virus, of course, and you'll need to commit to being sober in order to do the volunteering - but only you can weigh those things up.

The other safer option is cyber connection - if this forum is not to your liking, I'm sure you'd find a home on something like Reddit.

I wish you well with ending your isolation

D
Old 04-12-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Meatball, forgive me but I had a good laugh at your being banned from a couple dozen FB groups haha. Sounds like something I would do, albeit while drunk.

This forum is pretty chilled out so don't feel you are walking on egg shells or something. I think many of us here have been banned and thrown out of places over the years. Many a bar bouncer has tossed me out!
Old 04-12-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. It is hard, even for us introverts. Totally understand. I feel especially sorry for the young kids.....I see teenagers walking alone on my my morning walks, faces in phones. Ya just don't see that....ever. They are all going crazy!

I am not a social media person but at a time like this I can see why it would be a life line for many. I have to ask, how does one get banned from 24 facebook accounts? I'm curious about this. At time when you really want connection seems logical to try not to get the boot? Are you drinking?
Old 04-12-2020, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am an extreme introvert in the best of times. This pandemic had me feeling the same way. I realized it wasn't isolation that was killing me, it was the booze coupled with the isolation. Had to get out of my head and look at my situation with a hard dose of reality. (something I am not very good at considering my 20+ yr bender)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I think many of us here have been banned and thrown out of places over the years. Many a bar bouncer has tossed me out!
Never! Oh wait...I mean almost everywhere. Drinking doesn't make me into prince charming I guess.

And shopping is a social event for lots of introverts I think. I miss just going for a coffee and looking at books and films. If it's affecting us massive introverts, it must be driving most people crazy.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Something I've noticed here is that, while I'm out walking (with plenty of social distancing), is that people are smiling more as they pass, and often saying 'hi'. I think this is because we are all in the same position, and even saying 'hi' to someone you don't know, feels like a bit of a connection.

Also, I've been FaceTiming family members. Can you do that?
Old 04-12-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

How about online AA meetings to talk with others in real time?
Old 04-12-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dont get me wrong, I hate the buffalo Bills. Marv levy had a saying, something like when it's too tough for everybody else it's just right for us. Outdoor games in a hell hole of a stadium. One afternoon the goal post actually blew crooked!

A lot of us have been through lots of isolation and misery. We're built to handle this. Its normal people that should worry.

It's like that time on beavis and butthead when beavis sticks his hand in that one gadget and the harder he struggles to get it out the tighter it gets. That's what happens if you panic over the situation instead of taking it as it comes.

Gods is in control, life on life's terms. Control what we can control. We just have to accept it and try and make the best we can out of it. At least we're not drinking, that would really make this hopeless and miserable.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
waking down

Whenever I find myself thinking "I can't stand it," or "It's gonna kill me," or something similar, I remind myself that it's bull; I CAN stand it and I AM standing it and it's NOT killing me.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I am on a different journey than others, my perception is my reality.

I am sure this has been said by some famous person already, everything has, but there is a fair amount of delusion in being content and happy.

The opposite holds true I figure.

I see folks here and there on social media self isolating surrounded by 2 to 9 people and I shm.

It look selfish/foolish to me at this point.

Once the world has a better handle on this thing, ok, but it is way too early for me.

I am still trying to figure out how to act as a sober person and now I have to self isolate.

But, it is so much easier dealing with this hell on earth sober. Being hungover and craving, needing to go to the liqueur store right now would suck more.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drunk texting and drunk posting and getting banned is second nature to a lot of us.
About five years ago I picked a fight, while drunk of course, with a well known musician on a rock music industry forum and got banned.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm an introvert as well. BUT introverted just means we look within when we need to recharge and extroverts look outside.

Thay doesn't me we wont go mad being cut off from everything and everyone.

So glad I have my dogs. Walking pets has become really popular during the day now.

Maybe a pet to get you out socializing without needing to do the bar thing?
Old 04-12-2020, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Meatball. There is some difference between being an introvert and being antisocial. But regardless, I don't think you should be look back to Christmas and then all the way to June. Let's get our heads focused on today and the next few days. What are a few small things you can do?

And don't be so hard on yourself. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong at all with going shopping just to be out among people. I think many of us do things like that and it gives a feeling of connection.

It is tough at the moment because depending on where you are you should stay home. But I think you can start working on some of these things during this time. Consider it a planning phase.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EndGame

isolation..... is gonna kill me
Especially if you think so and even more likely if you avoid doing what it is you need to do to take care of yourself.

I know it isn't easy.

Tens of thousands of mental health workers have offered their services for free on hotlines and textlines all over the country. Also via TeleHealth/Skype/Zoom/VSee. No one knows who you are, and everyone wants to help.

You only need to do one thing. On your time. When you feel that you're ready.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey, Meatball. I'm a introvert, but the social isolation is getting to me as well. I do have 3 roommates, so there are people around, but not meaningful friends. I feel alone, useless and forgotten at times, but it's just the reality of the situation-so much of life has been turned on its head. It will pass. I've been through much worse things in regards to my drinking, and the one joy of my life now is not being in the grip of alcohol while this horror is happening. I come here several times a day, and being around people who understand is a wonderful thing; maybe you should hang with us a bit? Wishing you all the best.