Notices

Peoples experiences - weeks 6/7 feeling uneasy

Old 04-11-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Peoples experiences - weeks 6/7 feeling uneasy

Hi everyone

I'm six and a bit weeks sober. This week I've felt really uneasy/anxious a lot of the time. My therapist advised me to start a worry diary to concentrate on those feelings twice a day, which I'm doing.

However, despite corona and my life situation I don't have a lot to write at these times. It's more a general underlying sense of unease that I feel in the pit of my stomach like the butterflies of nervousness. I feel it pretty often (all the time?). I wonder whether this is common in early sobriety at about my stage?
Old 04-11-2020, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can;t recall feeling specially unsettled at week 6/7 but ...you've got a lot to be uncertain and unsettled about Be.

Maybe its a normal reasonable and understandable reaction to your worries about the virus, your marriage and your recovery?

D
Old 04-12-2020, 12:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dunno but you're in your first 90 days so if this is your first time this far in recovery then everything's gonna feel weird and new even without a lockdown, so just try and go easy on yourself, and live in the moment as much as you can.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the uncertainty of everything has the entire world on edge. I imagine it must be even harder for people who are used to being in control of things with clear-cut goals and plans.
It's all out the window now. A good friend of mine was a regional manager for a restaurant chain. Got married, bought a house, and had two little girls all within the past 5 years. He is laid off indefinitely with no salary. Job will likely not be there even when things normalize. He's using credit cards to pay for things now...

I remember you saying you are going through a divorce. I can't imagine how you are dealing with that and this pandemic. We will all come out stronger in the end!
Old 04-12-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am right there as far as sober time, also suffer from anxiety / panic disorder. What I found that really helped me when pressed for time is mindful breathing or 1 minute meditation. Lots of free videos online.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Other than not drinking and being on Sober Recovery, what are you doing for your recovery?
Old 04-14-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Hi everyone

I'm six and a bit weeks sober. This week I've felt really uneasy/anxious a lot of the time. My therapist advised me to start a worry diary to concentrate on those feelings twice a day, which I'm doing.

However, despite corona and my life situation I don't have a lot to write at these times. It's more a general underlying sense of unease that I feel in the pit of my stomach like the butterflies of nervousness. I feel it pretty often (all the time?). I wonder whether this is common in early sobriety at about my stage?
I'm a fan of journaling (diary). If you don't have anything to write, you might try looking a little deeper. Write things down that come to mind when thinking about your anxiety, even if they sound nuts. Journaling and meditation are just looking at things, everything. Things that cross your mind, even if weird may or may not mean anything, but just look, sometimes they lead us in surprising directions. Other times, they are blind alleys.

I have occasional bouts of mild unease like karma that is going to bite me. I wonder about it and think, "I wonder what this is about." If I don't know, I let it pass. I think much of it is just me bothering myself. It passes and then I'm OK.

I used to root these things out like I was on a mission, but as I get older, I only deal with things that are causing me a more profound level of distraction.

BUT feeling unease, is probably a clue that something is afoot, and writing ideas down become things you can explore with your therapist, even if those things seem kind of absurd (they may or may not be absurd). I used to bring my journal of the last week with me to therapy. My counselor didn't read it, but I would scan through my journal and bring up things that I felt might lead to something deeper.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Always complicating things for me as I get more sobriety is underlying anxiety and depression which I've had as far back as I can remember. Do you think you might have underlying anxiety, even if it's mild?
Old 04-14-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies

Sugar bear - because of my life situation and c19 basically EVERYTHING I do is part of my recovery. When I wake up; what I eat; exercise; journaling; time with family. Coronavirus is awful but ironically for me it's very helpful as I can focus on myself and my recovery. I see a therapist once a week and work on myself daily; I am working through SMART materials. I've even reached out to friends with my drink problem, a very unusual step for me as I'm usually very private. I find I like speaking to people about the crap in my head (who'd have known!!).

As for ongoing anxiety - it's very possible. I've been depressed a long time, I can feel that lifting the longer I don't drink but am ready to seek medical support if I find myself with MH issues that the drinking has been hiding. The booze obviously caused some of my MH issues, but maybe also started as self medication
Old 04-14-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had generalized anxiety since my teens so I have tried to find ways to cope. Belly-breathing is simple, but very effective.ake deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly. Sit comfortably with shoulders, head and neck relaxed. Breath in slowly through your nose so that your stomach expands. Tighten stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale slowly through your mouth.