Notices

Dreams

Old 04-11-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams

I’ve been having drinking dreams almost every night now.. I know these are common but they have been increasing in frequency and they are very vivid.

Perhaps subconsciously I want to pick up. I have no intention of drinking again, but I am ashamed to say that I still keep the prospect of drinking as a ‘last resort’. An emergency hatch of sorts that I can jump down when things get too stressful for me. These are stressful days.

Just checking in on the morning of day 103. I will not be drinking today!
Old 04-11-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Clarkkent, keeping the thought of drinking as a last resort is likely what's causing you to have vivid dreams at night. Maybe, if/when you let go of the idea of ever drinking again, the dreams will stop.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Anna,
that’s a really good point. Something to think about. Although ‘how’ I let go of the option of drinking is nebulous to me.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd be a bit uncomfortable if I was having a drinking dream every night. I do sometimes get them when I've gone long enough without a drink and that can make me feel uncomfortable. I also get smoking dreams too (I only smoke when I'm drinking). But they are usually only once a month or so. Then again I rarely remember what I've dreamt about so perhaps I get them more frequently than I realise. I tend only to remember dreams I've had if I wake up soon afterwards.

103 days - almost 15 weeks - is great going and it would be a real shame to throw that time away. Especially if it's just in response to a dream. How long have you been having them as frequently as you are doing?
Old 04-11-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know about the dreams. When I quit drugs some years ago I had some pretty vivid using dreams for quite some time. I still get the odd using dream now and I am over 15 years removed.

But you are right these are stressful days and finding ways to manage my stress is something that I am currently looking at. I am compiling a chores and activities list because I am definitely better if I can tick things off a 'to do' list. Perhaps the dreams are indictive that you might also benefit from re-visiting your toolbox for managing stress?

Congratulations on your 103 days.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Drinking dreams were sort of good for me because every single time during the dream and when i woke up (from my nightmare really) I had horrible guilt and remorse.

Crazy to think that having a drinking dream can cause remorse, but the coolest thing was it was like a free look at what a relapse would feel like.

I am betting on lucky 7 that if I were ever to relapse the remorse would sit with me for years.

Years!

That is a scary proposition and one I don't want to allow to become reality.

There is no problem drinking can't make worse. Taking a nap, getting a good night sleep, eating something very good for me (e.g. oatmeal, an apple) etc etc all make me feel amazing and make me feel like a proper adult.

I actually feel sorry for folks (so called normies) that need a drink to make things right. Needing a drink to make things right is not normal, it is addiction.

Call it functional they may, but I call it addiction.

We here have the real truth and are fortunate to be free of the learned behavior of drinking.

I don't believe the hype anymore. Drinking booze is an antiquated process.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

I get them too a lot
Old 04-11-2020, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Drinking dreams were sort of good for me because every single time during the dream and when i woke up (from my nightmare really) I had horrible guilt and remorse.

Crazy to think that having a drinking dream can cause remorse, but the coolest thing was it was like a free look at what a relapse would feel like.

I like your spin on this. It also seems to be true that those dreams never seem to be euphoric, they are always truly horrid.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your insights. I have no intention of drinking. I was only trying to analyse all these dreams and why they are happening so often. I’ve noticed that in my dreams I’m an meeting people I have wronged in the past. Trying my best in the dream to befriend them again. Even if it means drinking with them. Weird.

I am infinitely more happy sober.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wondering if you’ve considered AA, where there is a suggested program of recovery that deals with addressing the “how” and the wrongs done to others.
possibly making amends to those you have wronged would take care of guilt-ridden dreams and anxieties.
not trying to push it on you, just genuinely wondering.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anna might be onto something. If drinking is still in the back of your mind, it maybe jump-starting the drunk dreams. Occasional drunk dreams may just be your mind reliving a discarded habit. I don't know why we have them, but they are common and unsettling, but I never could put my finger on whether they are important or not. If anyone learned something from a drunk dream, I would enjoy hearing about it, because I've always puzzled over them.