Notices

Really hoping this will be the time I quit for good

Old 04-10-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really hoping this will be the time I quit for good

Hello all, my name is Jason and I have been struggling with alcohol addiction for about 15 years. I started really drinking hard when I was 19 and I will be 35 later this year. I thought I would give a forum a try because a lot of other options haven’t worked for me. I have done AA before and really enjoyed being able to talk about and listen to others who are going through or have went through the same things. Yet I am not a religious person and their are a lot of things that I disagree with in AA. Not to say they don’t do great work, but its not for me. I figured this may be a good alternative. Here goes my story.

i had my first drink when I was about 16 years old and I remembered how much fun I had. From 16 to 19 I would get together with friends probably once a month and we would have a party. I always drank in excess, I never drank in moderation. And unfortunately that has never changed.

Fast forward to age 19. I had a traumatic experience at this age and it was the first time I had turned to alcohol to numb pain and not to just have fun. It was also the first time I drank by myself. My first love had been at the wrong place at the wrong time and was hit by a drunk driver while she was walking. It didn’t kill her till years later, but she didn’t have what I would call a life after that. So much brain damage and was a vegetable for several years until she passed. Around this time I got a DUI. I feel like this was the beginning of my addiction.

As a few years went by to age 22, I continued to drink, but had it “semi-under control” drinking maybe once a week, but my tolerance had increased to a pint of vodka and a couple of beers to get me where I wanted to be. I had met another girl and began a serious relationship. She always disliked my drinking, but she accepted it. After a few years we broke up for some other reasons, but alcohol definitely played a role.

Now at 25 I was convinced that she was the problem and it wasn’t alcohol. “I’m a grown man and won’t be told to what I can and cannot do.” I lied to myself being single will be great cause now I can party and do what I want without getting nagged at. In hindsight, that was just the addiction speaking. My tolerance had increased so much by now that I was drinking an entire 5th of vodka now about 3-4 times a week and blacking out everytime. Yet I lied to myself that I didn’t have a problem because at this time I was becoming very successful in the financial industry and making a lot of money. Had my own home, a nice car and plenty of money in the bank. Alcoholics don’t have that. (Wrong!)

Fast forward to age 30. I have continued to succeed in my career and now I am a manager of a bank, but still in my alcohol addiction. Now that I’ve gotten older, I can’t get 4 hours of sleep and go to work and perform at a high level like I used to. I started coming in late often, calling in because I was too hungover etc. Finally at age 32 my boss who had seen that my addiction was getting out of control gave me an ultimatum. I either get treatment from this or I lose my job. No matter how good I was at my job, the alcohol was destroying it.

I went into rehab with the wrong attitude from the start. Still in denial that I was an alcoholic, but I’m just a binge drinker. I don’t drink everyday and don’t need a drink when I wake up, that was an alcoholic to me. (it’s not) Even though I was up to drinking every other day at this point. Had it not been for the hangovers I probably would of drank every day. So I spent a week in rehab, not soaking in the information. When I got out I actually stayed sober for 2 more weeks before I started back again. Within a month I was going to lose my job so I resigned before I got terminated.

After that things took a turn for the worst. I foolishly cashed in all my retirement, pension and what I had in savings. Had about 50,000 in the bank and for the next year I stayed in my home in deep depression, drinking more than I ever had. Was up to about a 5th of vodka and a 12 pack of beer by then in one sitting. My family was really concerned for me at this point because I was calling them drunk with suicidal thoughts. I just felt so hopeless that I threw y away in my life and just didn’t care anymore. Eventually had to file bankruptcy and lose my house. Which really hurt me as I prided myself as good with me as I was a financial advisor for so many years.

After about a year when I ran out of money I finally pulled myself together and got a job again. I decided to go to another career path because banking was a stressful job and I didn’t want to stress drink. I was still drinking at this point, but had cut back to twice a week, but still was binge drinking till I blacked out.

I got a job managing a hotel and really took off. I had so much hope because things were looking up again. I felt like I had my drinking under control (still didn’t) and I was successful in a career again. The company really took a liking to me after the first 6 months and moved me across the country to manage more hotels for them. They were even talking about making me a partner if I continued to do well for them.

Eventually the stress of the job caused me to increase my drinking to every other day again and was affecting my performance. I once again was calling in, showing up late and to top it off I was living in an apartment on the property and coming home drunk from bars and stumbling to my room in front of employees. Word eventually got to the owners and I promptly quit again to avoid being fired.

So I came back home in late 2019 probably at the lowest point I have been in my life. I got a job from my friend working overnight front desk at a hotel. Depression has really sunk in as now I feel so low, that I went from making 6 figures a couple years ago to making minimum wage. I had to move in with my sister because I don’t make enough to live on my own. You would think after all the things alcohol has screwed up in my life, I would finally wake up and quit, but still I drink.

At the beginning of 2020 I did the usual New Years resolution of quitting. I did something I had done before and gave my sister all my credit cards, bank cards so I had no way to purchase alcohol. I joined AA and I actually stayed sober for 6 weeks, longest I had ever went. But I disliked some of AAs beliefs and eventually stopped going. I thought I was ready now to have control of my finances again and got my cards back from my sister. Within a few week I relapsed.

Ive been on my usual every other day bender since mid February and am now being threatened to be kicked out of her house. I literally have no where else to go and don’t want to be homeless. To top it off with this coronavirus my hours have been drastically cut and may lose my job any day.

So for the millionth time here I am trying to kick this demon. I gave my sister my cards again and told her not to give them back to me for a very long time. I had my last drink Tuesday and now its Friday. I’m fortunate that I am not so far gone yet that I have severe withdrawals or need to be on medicine. But if I continue like I have been I will be like that soon.

Im so desperate at this point and want more than anything to get this out of my life. I used to be healthy, now I’ve gained 100lbs over the past 15 years and can’t even look at myself. I’m very lonely because I know that I cannot have a relationship until I fix myself first. I can’t get a career until I fix myself. I can’t start losing weight until I kick this addiction. Everything that is wrong in my life is directly related to alcohol.

I really hope this is the last time because I’m afraid there is only going to be 3 outcomes. Either I get sober or I end up dead or in prison from drinking and driving. I know I am so much better than this. I have a college degree, a successful resume and the sky is the limit, but I have this devil on my shoulder.

If you listened to my entire story, thank you. That felt good to get off my chest. I look forward to reading everyone’s journey and actively participating in this community. I think talking with people who know what I am going through is so good for me. I have friend and family who support me, but its hard for them to understand as they aren’t alcoholics. Thank you for your time!
Old 04-10-2020, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, what a story. Welcome to SR, Jason. I hope you have really now reached the end of your drinking days and will get well. All the best to you.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Jason
One thing this community gave me was hope again.

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you to do that too

D
Old 04-10-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your story is similar to mine and many others on here - I think you really are seeing it for what it is now after the years of denial. Don't be like me and take it to the very last stage possible without dying before it sinks in, because it will happen. Your story perfectly illustrates how progressive and inevitable it is - and you are so right when you say alcohol makes everything go wrong. You will find just stopping drinking makes everything start to fall into place. You can do this :-) xx
Old 04-10-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jason.

Your story has so many parallels with mine. I never quite reached your highs or lows but I have been a "functioning" drinker for about 18 years (I'm 37) and have been mainly a binge drinker for the past 10 years or so (before that I was a daily drinker).

I'm still in early days myself, I have had many many day 1's and failed attempts at sobriety, a month or two here and there. I quit for about 16 months when I was pregnant and had a new baby. I've tried all kinds of interventions.

I got to 100 days sober yesterday. I feel so grateful and proud. I did a post yesterday sharing some of the positives I learned in the last 100 days if you want to read it. I havent had a drink since NYE 2019. I feel like its sticking this time but I'm careful not to be complacent.

I thought I'd share what has helped me this time:
  • I joined the online Alcohol Experiment by Annie Grace. 30 days of free videos, content and exercises. I threw myself into this and committed to doing all the work set each day (its not laborious, it's fairly easy to do). It really changed my view on alcohol. I was really able to look at it totally differently and reevaluate my relationship with it.
  • I downloaded the happyfeed app and record 3 positive things every day. It really helps to retrain your brain to look for the good in life.
  • I read quit lit. I especially loved This Naked Mind by Annie Grace, Alcohol Explained by William Porter and The Unexpected Joy's of Being Sober by Catherine Grey. They are not at all preachy and really spoke to me.
  • I joined facebook groups - Alcohol Explained and The Alcohol Experiment.
  • I posted and read here daily. I've been a member here for a few years and have posted on countless day 1s. I didnt come back until I had 50 days because I couldnt bear to post another day 1 and fail again, so I waited till I had a milestone that felt right and came back. I've been here every day since. I dont know if being here alone is enough, there is lots more work outside of here I need to do but it's been a real source of strength and support for me.

I hope so much you are able to join me in sobriety. We have so much more life to live. Life is so much more than what you have now, I promise.
You clearly have so much about you, to be as successful as you have been. If you did all that being a drinker, imagine what you could achieve without alcohol hampering your success! And I dont mean money, cars and properties. You may find your outlook changes on those things in sobriety. I mean in terms of who you are, and the contribution you can make to the world. I mean how much you have waiting for you to enjoy and embrace in life. Even now, when life isnt how we normally know it, it is still life, it is still a gift and there are still things to enjoy every single day.

Keep posting, keep reading and when you are ready for that day 1 we will all have your back. Wishing you so much luck and strength.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words and welcoming me. 😊
Old 04-10-2020, 02:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I see many similarities in your story that are in my story. I lost everything to alcohol. Career in finance, car/DUI, evicted from apartment, girlfriend left, financially ruined (bankruptcy), multiple ER visits, multiple arrests etc.

43 now. Still a chronic relapser. I am fortunate that my family are in a position to pay my bills otherwise I would be homeless. With everything on lockdown, this may be my best opportunity yet to sober up and reinvent myself for when the pandemic passes.

It's not too late to right the ship my friend!

BTW- I was crushed by Chris Cornell. Someone I idolized since seeing Soundgarden at Lollapalooza in the 90's. RIP
Old 04-10-2020, 02:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jason, welcome to the site. As others have said your story highlights the progression of alcoholism and how it robs you of everything you love. I have been through some similar experiences to the ones you describe above. Eventually, I just got tired of being 'sick and tired' and stopped. That was 2.5 years ago. You can do it, too. Keep reaching out for support. You are amongst people who understand and can help.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story Jason. There is a solution. Lasting sobriety and a happy, fulfilled life is entirely possible. There are lots of people on SR and out in the world who are loving examples of this 🙏
Old 04-10-2020, 02:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I see many similarities in your story that are in my story. I lost everything to alcohol. Career in finance, car/DUI, evicted from apartment, girlfriend left, financially ruined (bankruptcy), multiple ER visits, multiple arrests etc.

43 now. Still a chronic relapser. I am fortunate that my family are in a position to pay my bills otherwise I would be homeless. With everything on lockdown, this may be my best opportunity yet to sober up and reinvent myself for when the pandemic passes.

It's not too late to right the ship my friend!

BTW- I was crushed by Chris Cornell. Someone I idolized since seeing Soundgarden at Lollapalooza in the 90's. RIP
Yes I was devastated by Chris Cornell’s death as well. He was my hero and someone I looked to that overcame his own addictions and depression. I’ve seen him in concert over 20 times and met him twice. And when he did take his life it was right around the time I was in my darkest time. Yet I do want to live my life and it reminds me no matter how rich or successful you are, you need to take care of yourself. Thanks for the reply and sharing your story.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Jason. Thanks for sharing your story and welcome. SR has been very helpful for me and I hope it can help you as well.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jason.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
totfit

Don't have a lot to add Jason, but glad you wrote what you did. I have been at this off and on for over 30 years and haven't drank in a few now. Years ago I attended AA and took two things that I have found true. "It takes what it takes" and "today is all you have". Have a good day today. I have a heck of a story too and I still often shake my head and just can't imagine the difference in today. I think the most important thing is that I am comfortable....period. As complicated as we can make things, just putting history behind us as a lesson, not drinking, shuffling forward in generally a positive direction and time makes an amazing difference.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jason85 View Post
I joined AA and I actually stayed sober for 6 weeks, longest I had ever went. But I disliked some of AAs beliefs and eventually stopped going. Within a few week I relapsed.
The common threads that run between those who stop, whether they are in AA or not, whether they are God fearing or not, whether they are whatever or not are:

Determination,
Willingness to quit FOREVER (hands down and FOREVER),
Knowledge about alcohol and alcoholism,
Willingness to create a plan and stick to it no matter what,
Celebration of sobriety (usually with others).

I threw that last one in, because it was important to me. I fed off of and built on my gratitude and my success, and I needed to share it. AA was good for me for that reason, but I quit drinking many years ago, and I didn't know about places like this forum that embraced a much wider philosophy beyond the world of the supernatural.

My 5 bits of advice are only a start. There is much to learn, and it helps to read and learn from others. Somethings will resonate with you, and others won't.

You already have some of the skills. You were sober for 6 weeks. That should have been long enough to get by the most hard to manage cravings. Why did you start drinking again? When the cravings become manageable, you no longer need willpower. You have to shift to rational thinking. But you have to first know that you will always be an alcoholic. No matter how normal you feel in long periods of sobriety, you must understand that you can never drink again, ever, unless you want to throw it all away.

In some of the sidebars here, read about other approaches to alcoholism. The alcoholic voice is a common thing we suffer from. It's that thing that tells you you are OK, and capable of having a drink. Read about it, and watch for it to rear it's ugly stupid head.

But first you've got to hang on to your chair and get through the cravings and yes, that part takes willpower. But thank god, you will only need to use that hellish tactic until the cravings ease, and you can start thinking your way through the rest of your life. But not drinking will always need to be on your mind, and eventually it will be second nature, and you will be choosing not to drink without making a big production out of it.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jason85 View Post

Yes I was devastated by Chris Cornell’s death as well. He was my hero and someone I looked to that overcame his own addictions and depression. I’ve seen him in concert over 20 times and met him twice. And when he did take his life it was right around the time I was in my darkest time. Yet I do want to live my life and it reminds me no matter how rich or successful you are, you need to take care of yourself. Thanks for the reply and sharing your story.
Lollapalooza summer of 1992. I was 15. Also playing was Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots etc. However, when Soundgarden cam on, it's like they turned the decibel level up twice as loud as the other bands. I remember it so vividly because the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I don't think I knew who Soundgarden were before then. But I bought their album the next day.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Jason. I know you'll find lots of support here.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Jason welcome to SR! Your post was very heartfelt and sincere and I found a lot with that I can identify. This is a great group and many of us have had so many sobriety attempts, so know you're not alone. Stick around and post often.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your story

I can relate alot to how the layers just keep progressing with this disease. I believe you can do it this time. Keep posting everyday
Old 04-10-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Free.

Welcome Jason.
I am new to SR also. 12 days sober today.
You struggle with alcohol as I do. I’ve had trouble getting more than 20 days in over the past couple of years.
Alcohol has destroyed people more intelligent and capable than you and I, men and women.
I am sooooooo grateful to be 12 days away from the beast. Don’t wanna go back there. I’ve counted the first 72 hours hundreds of times (fear of DT’s)

How agonizing are the first three days? Horrible.

Alcohol is a serious foe. I’m grateful for the strength in sharing that I get from you and the other recovering people on SR.
Keep up the good fight today.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow thanks for all the encouraging words and support everyone! I can tell this community is going to be a benefit to me in this journey. Thanks to everyone taking the time to offer advice. I feel like I’m not fighting this alone. Can’t thank everyone enough. 😊