Notices

Sailing Sober- Weekenders 10-13 April 2020

Old 04-12-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

The activity chic is not feeling at all well today.
So carry on....perhaps a movie is in order? s xxxxxx
Old 04-12-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Sending heaps of love Suze hope you’re feeling better soon xxx

For the vegetarians on board, to go with Vinny’s roast lamb are a heap of extra roasted vegetables, including roasted butternut pumpkin and sweet potato, and some stuffed capsicums, stuffed mushrooms and roast cauliflower and broccoli with cheese sauce...

MB that’s amazing about replacing your laptop hard drive! I would have no idea where to start and I would most definitely screw it up! Well done you I would have had to take it to a computer repair shop for sure.

I think a lot of us have self worth issues, probably largely stemming from our childhoods. It’s the biggest thing I have to work through with my therapist, about how I always worry I’m going to screw things up, and that the anxiety and panic stems from this worry that I’m not going to be good enough..... a lot of deep seated fears in there and I’ve barely scratched the surface yet...
Old 04-12-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Nice pics ��
Hope everyone got through easter Sunday.
Goodnight all.

This is from 1968.
The english jefferson airplane.
I believe it's judy dyble on vocals who replaced Richard Thompson and preceeded Sandy Denny. Judy was famous for knitting on stage while she wasnt signing. How many musical groups have been going over 50 years. New album out this year.
.Fairport Convention.

Sorry to geek out Vman but Judy Dyble was the co vocalist with Ian Matthews on that first album (one of my favourites even tho its not especially folky)

Sandy Denny then replaced Dyble, and Matthews left during the next album.

Richard Thompson stayed around on guitar and vocals until 1971.

you can tell me to folk off if you like

D
Old 04-12-2020, 07:53 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning Weekenders.
It's early enough here 04:45.
MB changing the hard drive on a laptop is not exactly something one does every week so you can be proud. Did you keep your old hdd as an eternal hard disk ?

Folk, thanks for the info D. ��
Did you listen to the new album released in January ?

It's time for a mug of tea.
Hope you feel better Suze and anyone else struggling.

See you all later weekenders
Old 04-12-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Administrator

No I haven't heard the new album yet Vman

D
Old 04-12-2020, 10:04 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Oh my gosh Willow! You’ve outdone yourself with your roasted vegetables. A perfect accompaniment to Vinny’ s lamb.

Hope you’re feeling shipshape soon Suze.

MantaLady I love the boulder analogy. Would love to hear more.

It’s been a lovely weekend shipmates. There’s something about the sea, and a gathering of like minded friends, that will stay in our hearts forever.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:25 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending positive vibes your way Venuscat.

That roast lamb and veg looks and sounds good. Well done VMan and Willow.

I don't know much about Fairport Convention but I do know that Sandy Denny was one of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200413_072430-540x286.jpg (52.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 11:55 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Morning all,

It's dull and stormy today. Guess the sunshine couldn't last forever. My nightmares are relentless, so much so that sometimes I dread sleeping. Always had them for forever. They are not worse but different now.

I have been watching my neighbours blatantly flout the rules. Visitors come and go, even a game of football emerged in the middle of the road (I live in a cul de sac) with people I have never seen before. And these are the ones that clap the loudest for the NHS. Crazy.

Suze I wish you better.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:14 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, shipmates

Suze - Hugs. Just enjoy the fresh sea air and a beautiful view.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
MB, what time is it where you are? Is it morning there? It's 3PM here. (Well, 3:18)
Bim, it's very early morning here - I believe. 3.18 a.m. at the time of your posts.

Vinny - I haven't decided yet about my old hard drive - I will either use it as an external storage, or install it instead of CD rom - that's quite a common solution people who replace HDD with SSD use. I will ne an optibay to place my hard drive into, and then I will have an extra memory for my laptop. I suspect installing optibay is more complicated procedure, so no rush about it.

Willow - I am not a vegetarian, but I will get some extra of those vegetables!

Now, before we are going for our morning dip, it's coffee time!
Old 04-13-2020, 12:47 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I always loved this:
Listen Listen - Sandy Denny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJFiOp7LnVQ

Old 04-13-2020, 01:34 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Good Morning Shipmates! Well, the weather has changed here too Kaily, cloudy and quite breezy and a little nippy but after spending 3 days mostly on deck in the sunshine I do have a few indoor cabin jobs I can catch up on. I am moving my living room about today to move my desk to the window. This WFH situation is likely to go on till probably the end of May at least so I need to get a healthy and proper working space to use. Currently I use a little laptop table and sit on the sofa facing the TV, these old bones are starting to feel it as the sofa is not great for posture and hunching over the laptop table isn’t good for me either. It’s going to look a little odd in the living room but not like I’ll be having guests anytime soon haha! x
Old 04-13-2020, 01:43 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

So, the rocks and rucksack session at rehab! We did an exercise where you had to imagine all the little problems and stresses you carry around with you as rocks for each issue stuffed into a rucksack that you wear. We then had to write out those things, “my mum never loved me” “I am not good enough” “my ex boyfriend cheated on me” and so on. Then you visualise taking each rock out of the rucksack one by one and decide if it’s your rock to carry. So the “my mum doesn’t love me” is one that has been given to you to carry, it’s actually her rock to carry not yours. So you have to decide if you are going to hand that rock back to her and free yourself of the weight and burden. I am not sure if I am explaining this too well to be honest but I found it a really helpful exercise to do. We often carry the weight of problems that have been given to us by others that we shouldn’t be burdened with because it’s not actually our problem to solve. Sometimes you have to say no, this is not my issue and you will not give it to me, it’s your problem for you to fix so put this rock in your own rucksack...I will not carry it for you.

Hope that made sense? x
Old 04-13-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, Manta!

You explained it quite well. I will definitely do this exercise starting today. I have too many rocks and boulders piling on my shoulders.

Stay safe, weekenders.

We are having a very warm day. I am thinking of venturing outside for some "necessities". And I can't think of a necessity I really need, and I don't want to spend money just for the sake of entertaining myself.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Weekend was quiet, I just took a call off an old friend there, I started a thread a few weeks ago about meeting him in a bad way (detoxing).

He is still in a bad way, wife wants him out of the house now after finding him drinking again, said he could only talk to me as other people don't understand, which is of course true.

No point in trying to lecture anyone. God knows how many times I messed up and relapsed and caused mayhem. I certainly wouldn't have appreciated anyone talking down to me when I was in big trouble. But I did try to plant seeds in him about the damage alcohol is doing to him and his whole life and told him that only him can make the change....that's if he wants it though.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:40 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Big pot of Scottish oatmeal on the stove and fresh tropical fruit on the sideboard. Toaster and all sorts of breakfast breads are there too, plus jams, whipped butter and clotted cream.

Espresso and various other specialty coffee can be made in minutes with this groovy coffee machine the captain brought on board yesterday. . .

Reid, I know I wasn’t ready until I was ready to quit. I was watching my life and family going up in flames and kept thinking I could keep alcohol in my life. Addiction insanity.

I’m going to do the rock exercise too later today. I’m ready to put some more burdens down. Recovery hasn’t been all at once but in fits, stalls, starts for me. Kinda like weight loss.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Oh Hawkeye, now you are talking food I eat and adore (I am allergic to a million things)....yum. Table for 1 please. We can all sit at our own table 6 feet from each other and have a wonderful across the room chat with breakfast. Yes? s xx ❤️❤️❤️
Old 04-13-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
So, the rocks and rucksack session at rehab! We did an exercise where you had to imagine all the little problems and stresses you carry around with you as rocks for each issue stuffed into a rucksack that you wear. We then had to write out those things, “my mum never loved me” “I am not good enough” “my ex boyfriend cheated on me” and so on. Then you visualise taking each rock out of the rucksack one by one and decide if it’s your rock to carry. So the “my mum doesn’t love me” is one that has been given to you to carry, it’s actually her rock to carry not yours. So you have to decide if you are going to hand that rock back to her and free yourself of the weight and burden. I am not sure if I am explaining this too well to be honest but I found it a really helpful exercise to do. We often carry the weight of problems that have been given to us by others that we shouldn’t be burdened with because it’s not actually our problem to solve. Sometimes you have to say no, this is not my issue and you will not give it to me, it’s your problem for you to fix so put this rock in your own rucksack...I will not carry it for you.

Hope that made sense? x
Bump to the max.....what a wonderful post daring Manta. s xx ❤️❤️
Old 04-13-2020, 05:42 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Reid, Hawkeye, and Venus!

Breakfast sounds delish!
Old 04-13-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I know what you mean MB about the not buying things you don’t really need and wasting money! I have diverted that need to buy things with ordering books to read off amazon as at least that’s something kind of useful haha.

One thing I did get this weekend was an Echo Dot with Alexa. Yeah yeah...I know...their spying on us and AI is evil lol. However, specially being alone it’s been really good. I asked her to remind me that “You are strong and you are enough” at a set time. Sure enough I got on with my day and in the middle of the afternoon a voice comes out of the Echo saying “this is your reminder that you are strong and you are enough”. I’ve set all sorts of reminders for the week. Lunchtime she will tell me to remember to go for a walk, at 4pm she will tell me to log off my work computer. This probably sounds really freaky but I am loving it haha! x
Old 04-13-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Weekend was quiet, I just took a call off an old friend there, I started a thread a few weeks ago about meeting him in a bad way (detoxing).

He is still in a bad way, wife wants him out of the house now after finding him drinking again, said he could only talk to me as other people don't understand, which is of course true.

No point in trying to lecture anyone. God knows how many times I messed up and relapsed and caused mayhem. I certainly wouldn't have appreciated anyone talking down to me when I was in big trouble. But I did try to plant seeds in him about the damage alcohol is doing to him and his whole life and told him that only him can make the change....that's if he wants it though.
I went through a very similar scenario with an old friend. Through a series of unfortunate developments, some of his own doing and some not, he was addicted to prescription meds and alcohol. Eventually his relationship with his wife disintegrated and he became too combative for even me. It's a shame to watch it happen and you wish you could do more to help.