Notices

Weird feeling in throat after 90 days

Old 04-08-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GG7

Weird feeling in throat after 90 days

Hello again,

I hope everyone is still holding up well. I know I always list my symptoms but this is the only place I can talk to folks about them that have experienced drinking in the past or present and may be able to relate. But out of know where I started feeling a sore throat. Normally I would ignore it but it's been lingering for a week now, and the frustrating thing is when I swallow I have to clinch my teeth and it's like I can hear and feel my muscle in my throat. If that makes sense.

I have no congestion, no headache, did a week ago for one day but not anymore. I went to the Dr. and got checked out and got checked for strep. Test came back negative to strep thank goodness. Dr. suggested a steroid medicine and say maybe there's some inflammation. But the side effects to the steroid medicine are crazy. I decided to start taking Motrin today.

Not looking for medical advice, but read on here a few times of folks speaking of things going on in their mouth after they quit. Wondering did anyone have a sore throat for no reason or a feel their muscle when they swallowed? All this stuff I have been experiencing is just so different. I have had sore throats over a cold or something in my life time, but not having to clinch and feeling/hearing the muscle and it not going away for over a week. Thanks
Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If this were me, it would put my mind to rest that I went to the Dr and the Dr did strep and it was negative...if it is inflammation it could be allergy season in your area....and again if this were me to ease my mind I would tell myself...I went to the Dr...if the Dr was concerned...he/she would have asked for blood tests...etc....

Its really good you have been sober 90 days congratulations...because you would be doing so much harm to your body if you were drinking...tonight when you close your eyes...maybe you can soothe your anxiety by thinking that...your Dr. said your fine...you don't drink anymore, so therefore your chances of being fine even longer are even better...and put a smile on your face cause you deserve to...and sleep well!
Wait till your my age (56) your body makes all kinds of noises....LOL
Old 04-09-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had this in the past and was told it was due to Post Nasal Drip. I didn't feel congested or anything. It hurt like strep, but eventually went away.

Also, if they did the quick strep, it doesn't always show up right away and will show negative. This happened to one of my kids and a week later, they tested positive when I brough them back to pediatrician.

If it persists, you could go to an ENT office as they can do an in office scope (tube up your nose and can look at back of throat).

Hope you feel better!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GG7

Thank you @gymratgirl. That helps to know that someone else exp. the same thing. Yes and when I swallow it's like I can feel and hear the throat muscle. I guess maybe because I'm swallowing so hard. They swabbed my throat and said test came back negative. I was happy to hear that of course but still wondering what I could take. I decided to take the 800mg Motrin. Only been one day since I started taking it so hopefully by the end of the weekend it will be much better. I think when I swallow I sort of feel a light discomfort in my ear too. It comes and goes. Well I am glad at least it's nothing serious. Thanks for your reply
Old 04-09-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you think it might be anxiety? Sometimes I get a closed throat feeling which isn't nice but it goes away without intervention.

Fans can also give me a sore throat.

D
Old 04-09-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GG7

Hi Dee! No I don't think it's anxiety. Because of the nasal part and it lasts all day and night. I had anxiety many years ago and this is something very different. I think it's allergies. Hoping it goes away very soon though...sigh
Old 04-09-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get it with anxiety too.