Notices

Weightloss

Old 04-08-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weightloss

I'm on day 1 of sobriety I've always been a binge drinker and than right before I would pass out I would binge eat. Has anyone had weightloss once becoming sober?
Old 04-08-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Ashley. Welcome to the site.

I lost a lot of weight and quit drinking.

I would say early sobriety is really the time to focus on getting the best possible nutrition, and that weight loss is much easier with a clear mind - for sure.

The better the food choices I make, the better I feel. You're right, alcohol tended to cause me to make poor eating decisions.

Poor decisions all around, not just food.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi ash

as i was one the the overweight drinkers due to the hi carbs & sugars in the booze

after quiting, i lost about 20 lbs!

best wishes on your journey

zip
Old 04-08-2020, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can lose 30 pounds if I stop drinking for 6 months. Just cutting all those calories out makes a big difference. ( I am 6'2" so don't apply my numbers to yourself). But cutting booze is great for weight loss.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I didn't lose actual poundage, but I did lose a lot of bloat. My face especially looks slimmer in sobriety.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

Sobriety meant I was taking better care of myself. Taking better care of myself seeped into my eating habits and activity level (exercise) along the way. A more healthy me resulted in a more healthy weight. I didn't even focus on achieving on any of those things...I just didn't want to drink!

I let go of drinking. Got out of the way. And amazing things have resulted. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, I'm a believer in exercise being a part of recovery, and it would help with weight loss, too.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ashleymadison View Post
I'm on day 1 of sobriety I've always been a binge drinker and than right before I would pass out I would binge eat. Has anyone had weightloss once becoming sober?
I'm not overweight but I eat too much, and especially too many sweets since getting sober.

I keep thinking that I'll eventually stop craving ice cream and candy but it's been 21 months and I'm realizing this might be the new normal. I'm trying to exercise more reliably but, ironically, I was more dedicated in that regard during my drinking days. I think I exercised to compensate for the physical toll of drinking. Now I feel good all the time by comparison because I'm not hungover or drunk 24/7.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lots do. I drank alot and did not eat alot or often. Now I eat a ton (used to eat 1 slice of pizza, now I'll eat 6 or 7 plus I have been eating too much icecream. I have gained 40 lbs since I quit 10 months ago. Sucks. Plus now I'm laid off from my 2500/15000 calories/step job so the weight may keep coming. Sucks. Used to be I would eat even less when not working. I would just eat dinner when my wife got home, and little at that. Now I am eating a big breakfast, lunch, snacks, a big dinner. Did I mention it sucks.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
Lots do. I drank alot and did not eat alot or often. Now I eat a ton (used to eat 1 slice of pizza, now I'll eat 6 or 7 plus I have been eating too much icecream. I have gained 40 lbs since I quit 10 months ago. Sucks. Plus now I'm laid off from my 2500/15000 calories/step job so the weight may keep coming. Sucks. Used to be I would eat even less when not working. I would just eat dinner when my wife got home, and little at that. Now I am eating a big breakfast, lunch, snacks, a big dinner. Did I mention it sucks.
Grapefruit seems to diminish my appetite. Hard candy like Jolly Ranchers instead of a bowl of ice cream works sometimes. It does suck though. I get panicky if I don't have ice cream on hand the way I used to panic if I was running low on booze, lol.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A week after I quit I joined a gym. The combination of the two made me lose 3 inches on my waist, but my upper body got bigger. I ended up gaining about 8 lbs. And I'm not a big guy.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! It seems ice cream is very popular once becoming sober, even my sober sister says she now craves ice cream.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not me... I wish!

When i quit i gain 5 pounds the first week like clockwork
​​​​​​.. 15 in the first month... And so on.. Its so depressing sometimes i dont even want to continue being sober because of it🤦🏽*♀️