Notices

Day 1 and scared

Old 04-08-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 and scared

Well today I had my first scare, I was on a two day bender and as I was cooking dinner I started feeling numbness in my fingers and couldnt move them, it eventually went away after about a minute.
My choice of poison is vodka I can easily go through a liter in about 4 days. I've been drinking hard since I was 24? About 8 years of drinking hard stuff. I've browsed this site for years and never had the courage to post anything. I feel I've finally have lost all control from my drinking. My husband doesnt understand how someone can have a problem he just says try to control it, you can have a drink just dont get drunk. I feel if I become sober he will secretly be disappointed that he lost a drinking buddy or think hes that guy who married someone that cant socially drink at events.sometimes I just wish he would tell me to stop or that he wants me to be sober. My sister is currently sober from alcohol for almost 4 years now and I hear the comments from my friends of them judging her for being sober. I feel I will lose alot of friends over this as well but I got to think to myself this is the best thing for me. My last drink was at 4am yesrerday so I'm almost 24 hours sober. The longest I've been sober has been a week and half and than either my husband or I will say I can control this by just having one drink which turns into a spiral of out of control.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. The "friends" you may lose were never really friends to start with it if they don't support your decision in getting sober. You'll make new and true friends on your journey- I think everyone here will say the same, best of luck.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It amazes me how seemingly intelligent people don't understand that alcoholics are 'wired' differently. I've had people tell me to 'just have a few' and stop. I tell them I can't because I am an alcoholic. They don't understand the mind of an addict/alcoholic.

I was drinking a fifth of vodka a day, every day for about 2 years. A handle on Saturday. I had severe withdrawal symptoms when I stopped. The amount you have been drinking should not cause anything beyond mild. But after 8 years of drinking, withdrawal could need medical attention. Google alcohol withdrawal symptoms and be aware if they get bad. You may end up in the ER at a bad time!

Welcome to the site.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
It amazes me how seemingly intelligent people don't understand that alcoholics are 'wired' differently. I've had people tell me to 'just have a few' and stop. I tell them I can't because I am an alcoholic. They don't understand the mind of an addict/alcoholic.

I was drinking a fifth of vodka a day, every day for about 2 years. A handle on Saturday. I had severe withdrawal symptoms when I stopped. The amount you have been drinking should not cause anything beyond mild. But after 8 years of drinking, withdrawal could need medical attention. Google alcohol withdrawal symptoms and be aware if they get bad. You may end up in the ER at a bad time!

Welcome to the site.
Thank you! As of right now I dont really have any symptoms besides me not being able to fall asleep and I'll occasionally get hot and sweaty. Just wish I had more support on my end and people to talk to. I'm hoping to meet new people that I can relate with on here
Old 04-08-2020, 01:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyone on here is your friend! From all over the world. BTW- I notice your username is Ashley Madison haha. Don't let your husband see that!
Old 04-08-2020, 01:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lol it's not my real name
Old 04-08-2020, 01:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had to reach a point where I didn't care what others thought, I just knew I wanted to get sober.

Sobriety is not just about not drinking alcohol, it's also about doing what we know to be right for ourselves.. Some here call this 'emotional sobriety'.

We find ourselves and it really doesn't matter what others think. It's a good feeling. Strength.

Welcome to SR Ashleymadison.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I had to reach a point where I didn't care what others thought, I just knew I wanted to get sober.

Sobriety is not just about not drinking alcohol, it's also about doing what we know to be right for ourselves.. Some here call this 'emotional sobriety'.

We find ourselves and it really doesn't matter what others think. It's a good feeling. Strength.

Welcome to SR Ashleymadison.
Thank you!
Old 04-08-2020, 02:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 04-08-2020, 02:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ashley. I'm only a few hours ahead of you, but I've been here before, a lot actually.
You will love being sober. Most of the time, anyway. A lot of us have moments of wishing we could drink for a while after we stop. But it's only moments.
I agree with others that you can't let what your husband thinks influence you at all. Most other people don't understand. You can try to explain if you want, but it never got me anywhere. Now I just say, "You don't live inside me, so you can't really know why I'm doing this, but it's really important to me."
It's great to have SR here because the people here do understand.
It was so lovely waking up this morning without a hangover. I hope you're doing well, too. I'm glad you're here!
Old 04-08-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you! I know it's crazy I love the feeling of waking up feeling good and motivated and I'll think to myself I love this, I need to feel this way everyday from now on out but by the time the day is coming to an end that's when I crave the alcohol.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

...then that's the time to log on here and find some support Ashley

Feel free to check out our Class of April support thread too - its for everyone wanting to get clean and sober this month - all you need to do to join is post in it

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-one-9.html

D
Old 04-08-2020, 02:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you dee I'll check it out
Old 04-08-2020, 03:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ashleymadison View Post
Lol it's not my real name
I know. Ashley Madison is a dating website for married people to have affairs.

'ashleymadison.com'

You didn't pick your username as a reference to that?

You may want to change it if you weren't aware of what the website is
Old 04-08-2020, 03:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Haha omg yes I gave heard of that website but was not thinking of that when I picked my name
Old 04-08-2020, 03:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes waking up refreshed never gets old. Someone here said you never wake up wishing you'd had more to drink last night, or something to that effect.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeaceManic View Post
Yes waking up refreshed never gets old. Someone here said you never wake up wishing you'd had more to drink last night, or something to that effect.
I never woke up sober and wished I had drank the previous night! I can't say the same of the mornings when I did drink the night before
Old 04-08-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just wish I could sleep, I honnestly feel drinking was my way of getting to sleep. Drink to pass out
Old 04-08-2020, 04:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is going to take a few days at least if you are used to drinking yourself to sleep Ashley but normal sleep patterns should come in time.

D
Old 04-08-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It is going to take a few days at least if you are used to drinking yourself to sleep Ashley but normal sleep patterns should come in time.

D
Yea that's what I was thinking as well