Notices

Addiction and Chronic Pain

Old 04-06-2020, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction and Chronic Pain

Last night while incredibly high on a number of substances, I realized I have a problem. It has affected my life in every way imaginable. I'm a little scared to tackle life right now without the things that used to bring me comfort. But I'm going to give it my best. I'm going to keep trying. The only thing that concerns me is my spouse. We have already talked and he is supportive of me doing what is best for me and our family. The major problem is one of the biggest contributors to my problem is cannabis. That's how all of this got started. I started using it to help with my chronic daily migraines and fibromyalgia pain. My husband now uses it for his pain as well (and his is worse than mine, he is disabled). He has been on numerous pharmaceuticals prescribed to him and they were all awful. Cannabis is the only thing that works for his pain.

How can I manage my sobriety while we manage his pain? I'm also super scared that my pain will soar out of control. I usually end up in the hospital about 4x a year due to my migraines. I haven't been in a year. I don't know what else I can do to manage it. I feel like I got in this mess because the medical options depleted. I've done so much to try to fix my migraines - been to numerous doctors in different states and done inpatient treatment programs for migraines, and nothing helped.

I'm not asking for medical advice - but more how do you manage your medical needs with sobriety? I don't want to use cannabis at all. But I'm afraid I will reach for it in moments of desperation.

I'm a little scared. The pain is starting to come back. I haven't used any cannabis today. I'm hoping to get to bed at a decent hour and maybe tomorrow I can start fresh.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LuanaCat - welcome

I can only share my experience seeing as I don't really know the details of your chronic pain.

I am disabled (cerebral palsy) and that brings with it a lot of muscle and joint pain, that has gotten worse as I get older.

I self medicated with pot and alcohol for many years (and smoke and drank for many other reasons too) until I accepted that the way I drank and toked was going to kill me.

Pot wasn't even that effective as pain management because I'd smoke then have to smoke again in a little while to keep the pain at bay.

After 30 years I quit.

The withdrawal wasn't fun but it was definitely doable - a little insomnia and irritability, a little moodiness for a while - and I felt much better in 10 days to a couple of weeks.

I worked with my doctor to find other ways to keep my pain at bay. Strangely enough one of the best things I found for me is exercising daily, and losing some weight.

Quitting is often hard - but support makes it easier I'm glad you found us.

Also feel free to check out our marijuana sub forum as well
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/
Old 04-10-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I just want to wish you good luck LuanaCat. I'm sure withdrawing from the other substances is the right thing.

This link from the Journal of Headache and Pain on Current and Emerging evidence based treatments is incredibly detailed and technical but I did note that treatment of Migraine is "fast developing" and there might be some things worth investigating. It is a review rather than medical advice so it should be OK

https://thejournalofheadacheandpain....194-019-1038-4

https://thejournalofheadacheandpain....194-019-1038-4