Notices

Why are liquor stores considered essential?

Old 04-07-2020, 11:20 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I haven't been paying attention, but are all those "Tobacco and Vape" shops exempt?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

The shop where I get my hair cut has closed. First there was a sign that said they would reopen on April 28 depending on whatever orders will be in effect. Now I see that the sign is gone, and the place is completely empty with bare walls and all equipment gone. I'm hoping the owner of the building may be getting ready to redecorate or paint during the shutdown, the adjacent Flower Shop has also been emptied. Both are small operations that could both go belly up in a economic downturn.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
AUGUST
"noncompliance with seeing a therapist and taking his meds"

Obviously dont give details if you dont feel comfortable, but are his missing meds affecting his decision making abilities?
Did he have a therapist through his treatment center?
So, he went to this (quite good, and also money-feasible for at least a yr) place last July. He lied about his sober date and at that point only admitted to pot. He was w/in the window it takes to get out so they let him in. Further tests clean tho we later found out he had also been drinking doing drugs.
A job is a requirement; he is on his 3rd (that we know of), and he tends to be overly positive and dismissive w his dad in the at times VERY limited contact. He and his mom are in a completly dysfunctional relationship yet she is the one that gets more info - it is a tug of war that shouldn't exist to get answers from ayone.

His cycle, at now headed to 22 is to start seeing a dr, get one the right meds,and along with the new job the "things are going great - evenI'm gonna get promoted!" cycle has continued during this time in treatment. H is compliant yet doesn't not seem truly and consistently motivated. This wk (tomorrow) is the third time we will see if he keeps a tele meeting and gets a prescription - the last 2 appointments fell thru bc rather than read the email that said all appts were remote, his tke away was that someone was supposed to reach out to TELL him.

For him, drs and med compliance are required for him to stay. I'm a bit of the bad guy in the parental triad as I know too well waht saying F*ck it to meds and mental health support can do and he has barely any coping skills for life. I also have so little confidence in his compliance with social distancing. With the economic hit to the money his parents did great job saving for him he only has about 2 mo left to be in this place. What then:? 99% sure his mom's house and I will want my step daughter OUT of there.

Felt good to get all that out.

Thanks for asking Lines. It's a delicate disucussion to bring up with my husband and his wife gets defensive when i reach out.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
The news media here had this same question. Government specifically made liquor stores essential at the request of all the hospitals here in Ontario. They don't want 1000's of alcoholics across the province coming to ER's because of withdrawals.
Ah thanks, I was wondering the reasons why as well. What I didn't understand though, is that many grocery stores here in Ontario sell alcohol and they're already an essential service...are the LCBO and Beer stores really needed? Maybe because they don't sell hard liquor....?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
nez

It's a delicate disucussion to bring up with my husband and his wife gets defensive when i reach out.
Assuming personal responsibility is a difficult and complex subject. It is one that I have barely scratched the surface on. One take away for me so far is that I am a student of the subject and not the teacher. God I hate homework!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Many (most?) liquor stores also sell basic things like bread, eggs, and milk. In many urban neighborhoods the liquor store doubles as the local grocery since it's a drive or bus ride of several miles to the nearest supermarket.

So that's another reason, presumably.

I'm deeply thankful that I don't need liquor anymore. Challenging enough keeping ordinary groceries and household items on hand during The Quarantine.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
nez

many grocery stores here in Ontario sell alcohol and they're already an essential service...are the LCBO and Beer stores really needed? Maybe because they don't sell hard liquor....?
Where I am the grocery stores sell beer, wine, and hard alcohol. Different areas, different decisions, different people making the decisions for the masses. Bottom line for me is the same thing only different...I have my hands full trying figure out this human. Figuring out other humans is going onto the back burner for now.

The wait, for things to make sense for me, is taking a long time. :~)

side note: I always chuckle at the the term "hard alcohol", all alcohol was easy for me, it was quitting that was hard