Notices

Why are liquor stores considered essential?

Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Yeah, I'm not one for the hospital theories some have shared. Again, most people aren't alcoholics and I honestly don't think concern about us quitting and being in w/drawal is a top concern on the radar.

nez- I so wish that Baskin Robbins was considered essential here!
The news media here had this same question. Government specifically made liquor stores essential at the request of all the hospitals here in Ontario. They don't want 1000's of alcoholics across the province coming to ER's because of withdrawals.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Evidently Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream stores are also deemed essential in my area. Not everyone that consumes either or both (alcohol & ice cream) has a problem as a result of consumption (although I had problems with both); but even so, I fail to see them as essential.
I understand the withdrawal concerns about alcohol, but ice cream? I like ice cream and I often visit one of those handed scooped counters, but right now I've got that activity on hold. The idea of some attendant who can't afford to stay home scrounging out scoops of ice cream from open containers and putting them on a cone kind of grosses me out.

I'm guessing this is more like a legal loop hole, that makes ice cream a food item, even if it is not essential.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ice cream counters in gas stations are OK, I guess, but restaurants are closed. ???
Old 04-07-2020, 02:16 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I live in Wisconsin, so it's no surprise that liquor stores are considered essential! I'm so grateful that I'm in recovery, so have no need to visit them anymore.

In our state, restaurants can remain open, but it's drive thru and delivery only.

I feel bad for all the businesses that are considered "non-essential". Some of them may never re-open.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
It's a legal beverage.
liquor stores have a license to sell it, as do many grocery stores, party stores, etc.
Would it be fair to discriminate and shut down a pure liquor store and deprive both the cusromer and the business owner?
Is it essential? For some it would be as others have stated. And for others it's not.
Is fast food essential?
Hadn't thought of that, makes total sense.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

^For me, fast food is def not essential. Even fast casual stuff. BUT. So many people are struggling w money that eating from the Mcdonalds $1 meal is crappy for you but def economically feasible, esp if you work in an essential business and are not home for x hours.

I think there are prob lots of reasons, including political ties, state revenue, concern for small biz owners, people w/ income decimation....
Old 04-07-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
It's a legal beverage.
liquor stores have a license to sell it, as do many grocery stores, party stores, etc.
Would it be fair to discriminate and shut down a pure liquor store and deprive both the cusromer and the business owner?
Is it essential? For some it would be as others have stated. And for others it's not.
Is fast food essential?
I respectfully disagree with a portion of what you said. Under this logic, every business that provides goods or services that are also provided by stores that remain open should be allowed to stay open. For example, a boutique that sells clothes should be allowed to open because Target also sells clothes. Etc.

So, I don't think keeping liquor stores open has anything to do with fairness. I think it is partly cultural and psychological - people (alcoholics and otherwise) feel comforted by the availability of booze and it is how a lot of people spend their time and make themselves feel better, for better or for worse. There may be a health component to keeping them open as others have stated, but there is such a small population that could wind up on the hospital because they have been deprived of alcohol. That being said, perhaps it is worth it to keep the stores open so even that small number of people would not burden hospitals.

And yeah, fast food is probably essential for the reasons August25 said.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
nez

What is essential for me and my recovery is that I not fall prey to the juggernaut of non-essential thoughts that are running amok in my head.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

agree with the first paragraph. That was my initial thought. However its just a fact that there is a HUGE population of people who would /could wind up in the hospital if they were suddenly cut off. Way more than those with covid. About 15 million of them here in the U.S. that will admit to it.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Liquor stores in my state remain open as they are deemed essential. Thoughts?
Before reading responses to your question.

Also here in Wisconsin liquor stores remain open and deemed essential.

I think it is inherited.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

What nez said
Old 04-07-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Sometimes I forget that what's a huge population to us, and we know personally and about Ods and DTs and such taking people to hospitals, I keep coming back to the fact that we are a very small % of the population.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LunaBlue View Post
I’m a little concerned that when the coronavirus pandemic settles down, the beds will then be filled with withdrawing alcoholics, and the rehabs filled. At least in my area, people are drinking extremely more than ever.
My brother who drinks a lot says the alcohol in his local shop is going like crazy. I guess it's to do with bars and restaurant customers too, but maybe more people are drinking because of added stress?
Old 04-07-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

well yea, they are the only place to buy booze now. Except online but that takes to long.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringside View Post
I respectfully disagree with a portion of what you said. Under this logic, every business that provides goods or services that are also provided by stores that remain open should be allowed to stay open. For example, a boutique that sells clothes should be allowed to open because Target also sells clothes. Etc.

So, I don't think keeping liquor stores open has anything to do with fairness. I think it is partly cultural and psychological - people (alcoholics and otherwise) feel comforted by the availability of booze and it is how a lot of people spend their time and make themselves feel better, for better or for worse. There may be a health component to keeping them open as others have stated, but there is such a small population that could wind up on the hospital because they have been deprived of alcohol. That being said, perhaps it is worth it to keep the stores open so even that small number of people would not burden hospitals.

And yeah, fast food is probably essential for the reasons August25 said.
Your talking about the superstores which carry a little of everything I think... but are they deemed essential because a person can buy a t-shirt here, or because they primarily offer fresh and frozen foods as well as an array of beverages? Food categories. Items that are also difficult to ship via standard methods for the most part. We have a superstore and they carry some plumbing supplies for example. But we have a hardware store that's deemed essential and is open because it offers a wide variety of products that might be needed urgently. Likewise, our superstore carries a small amount of craft supplies, but my wife is disappointed the large craft supply store was deemed non essential and is closed. And then one could question bakeries, ice cream shops, coffee and donut shops. All things sold through the grocery. But, those near us are allowed to remain open for takeout if they so choose during certain hours. People like to go to their favorite food places and it also helps to support local business.

one thing I know for sure. While I could walk into a clothing store and come out with a shirt in 5 minutes. My wife would need to try several on, and then you have fitting room sanitation issues. I wonder if the fitting rooms are open at the superstores. Anyone happen to know? Now I'm curious.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Speaking of people needing immediate attention for detox/seizures/etc and being able to get into care. Around here, many places have stopped admitting anyone new now, or without some kind of quarantine IF the facility can do that safely. In the interests of everyone. Others are faced with no visitation, no outside medical personnel allowed in (Ie, counselors who only practice there once a week). My step son is in a sober living house were he has gotten verbal then written, then a group- based meeting as the 3 rd warning about his noncompliance with seeing a therapist and taking his meds. sparing the rest of the details, I'm concerned about what's gonna happen if he plays around and doesn't make the connection to virtual appts (he complained last time that he went to the office and no one was their and no one had TOLD him to call to find out) and get on meds....and gets kicked out during the shutdown in the state. He goes to his mom's is what happens and is then around my younger step daughter. This makes me pretty mad bc it is his classic ebb and flow do just enough right, then start quitting the most important stuff one at a time

Lots of peeps out there affected.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
This makes me pretty mad bc it is his classic ebb and flow do just enough right, then start quitting the most important stuff one at a time
This is sad. I hate watching someone headed toward failure. At the same time, I don't want to force my philosophy on them. I had a friend go off the rails a couple of years ago. He divorced his wife, blamed her for leaving him, even though he left her. Then he got drunk throwing away something like15 years of sobriety, and drank himself to death. He was a troubled person who stumbled a lot, but when he showed up at my house drunk, I did step out of my "don't push sobriety on people" mode, and read him the riot act, explicitly telling him to stop, but I think he had gone certifiably crazy at that point. I think I hurt his feelings and then I ended up feeling bad.

Your son doesn't sound as bad as my friend, you might be able to push him in the right direction, or maybe he just has to figure this out for himself. Maybe if you point out those mistakes that open the door to failure, it will someday register with him.

I wish you the best.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Many stores that sell booze here are open , but the bars are closed .
Old 04-07-2020, 08:14 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

AUGUST
"noncompliance with seeing a therapist and taking his meds"

Obviously dont give details if you dont feel comfortable, but are his missing meds affecting his decision making abilities?
Did he have a therapist through his treatment center?
Old 04-07-2020, 08:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Before reading all the posts, which I will.

Does the govt get extra liquor money on taxes or something?? I just figure that with the economy kaputs, that extra “vice” dollars (ciggies too!) would be helpful to the U.S. Money Pot!

Bobbi