Notices

Why are liquor stores considered essential?

Old 04-06-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Yeah, I'm not one for the hospital theories some have shared. Again, most people aren't alcoholics and I honestly don't think concern about us quitting and being in w/drawal is a top concern on the radar.

nez- I so wish that Baskin Robbins was considered essential here!
I have a friend who works in the ER - You have NO IDEA how many people on a daily basis go into there for alcohol withdraw. They end up on dialysis, intensive care.

THAT IS EXACTLY why they are keeping the liquor stores open. Speak of what you know, not conjecture. That is why the liquor stores are open.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There'd be Revolution in the streets. Makes sense to me.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The liquor stores are deemed essential because so many people would go through withdrawals from not having alcohol and there would be a mass influx of people going into detox centers and hospitals if liquor stores were closed.

And especially right now where people are buying more beer, wine, and spirits than ever before, then yes, liquor stores are definitely essential for many people.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I cant believe lotto is still going. Not surprised but in disbelief.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Follow the money says me. But, though I appreciate the thread Jeff, in the end I mostly says who cares. Glad my wife can have her single glass of wine she barely finishes to take off some stress of this situation. Those abusing the open shops are making their own decision with what to do with these days and times. Grateful I'm not wasting it all away in that ugly drunk haze.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Perhaps the concern of the influx of detox needs varies depending on where you are.

Nathan, I didn't mention the reasons behind my comments, but they do come from experience and info.

And, what less said. Neither one of us drink in my house, so even easier. At the end of the day, I popped in bc I was curious about Jeff's threads, so my take away turning this to a more useful idea (I liked the discussion start tho, Jeff!) is that talking about the use of alcohol by anyone in our society is much needed.

Even if people drink too much, but aren't alcoholics, should that be the "norm" during this unknown duration, not good for their bodies at minimum. Certainly something I imagine contributes to things like the higher domestic violence rates.

I'm in the mindset of individual and family self-care during this time, starting with the measures we are being directed to ie mask wearing and so on - and after that, the SBA and privately owned company status, as it makes up the bulk of the number of businesses (differentiating this from the total revenue or profits or such that they may generate) that are being devastated.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
p***enger

I agree no one wants detoxing patients or desperate alcoholics looting the stores. We all know what desperation can lead us to.

In NYC:

Old 04-06-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Open in my state too, including delivery now..my thoughts? I don't care. I stick to my side of the street.. others can/will do what they want..so long as it doesn't affect me it's not my concern.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm kind of a follow the money type of guy and I heard liquor sales are up like 200% or more.

I also think there are more people dependent on alcohol than we know about. When I had my business, I dealt alot with other business owners and I was very surprised that more than a small handful had beer on the menu for breakfast.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I live in Pennsylvania and all the liquor stores have been closed since March 15th. and will not open again until further notice. A lot of people were driving to Delaware to buy liquor but Delaware has now started to fine anyone out of state that stops to buy any. Crazy. I feel bad for the people that are addicted and may go into alcoholic withdraw. As of April 1st they have opened up an online website to buy but are only open for about an hour a day for now. So if you get up early enough and are one of he lucky ones you may get an order in.
I am so glad I am no longer drinking.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
I cant believe lotto is still going. Not surprised but in disbelief.
Lotteries in different states have to keep going because you have people playing draw games for consecutive draw dates and so it would be very hard to discontinue lottery drawings when you have people with tickets for future draw dates not to mention you also have multi-state drawings like Mega Millions and Power Ball which are very big lottery games played by many states across the country.

You have the Mega Millions drawings on Tuesdays and Fridays and Power Ball on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Not to mention lottery scratch tickets which are a huge seller right now for many states in addition to the draw games for each state like the 3 number draw games and 4 number draw games, 5 number draw games, and 6 number lottery draw games.

Pretty much the biggest sellers right now for convenience stores are lottery tickets, beer, wine, and cigarettes which are all considered essential right now. They were always the biggest selling items for conveniences stores but now they are bigger sellers than before.

There are people that even hang out at convenience stores for hours and just scratch lottery tickets the whole time. There are even people that spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars each day on entire rolls of scratch tickets or draw game tickets or both because they are bored or have nothing else to do or they are retired or they are just hoping to win some extra money on lottery tickets or they are just addicted. Just like alcohol there are people addicted to lottery and if they didn't have their lottery tickets each day they would go absolutely crazy without their lottery fix each day and go insane without it.

So yes even lottery tickets are considered essential. Not to mention that state lotteries generate revenue for the state. For education, veterans, etc.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

In Utah, gun stores are considered essential. No comment.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Pretty certain they are keeping liquor stores open to keep the peace, and alcoholics away from hospitals.....I did win a thousand bucks on the lotto last week, but I can't collect due to their offices being shut...figures ;(
Old 04-06-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The lottery here was hotly debated but its money has served the state of GA very well. Same with an even more hotly debated highway with a toll booth set up right thru the center of town into the now highly populated north suburbs. From this money came the HOPE scholarship which contributed to the university system becoming hugely better and more money back into the state.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The shops are also deemed essential too. I very much doubt it’s for the relatively few in danger of withdrawal. Almost certainly it’s a political judgement that it’s so as people best support the stay at home message and keep the people as happy as is possible. It’s hardly great shakes to let off licences stay open, supermarkets sell booze anyway.

Alcoholics would find a way anyway, pretty sure I would have.

It does show how alcohol dependent the whole of society is - everyone is somewhere on the scale.

that said chocolate isn’t essential and during these times I’d be looting sweet shops if it was no longer allowed to be sold 😃
Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
nez

nez- I so wish that Baskin Robbins was considered essential here!
Couldn't help but laugh and relate. What do you mean not essential??? Same thing only different, I have had an impacted ear due to earwax for two weeks now. My health plan is with a large hospital consortium and all facilities are only available for in person visits for emergencies and my ear and subsequent lack of hearing in the one ear is not considered an emergency. I asked them if they wanted a second opinion...they did not LOL!
Old 04-06-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am just glad I don't "need" liquor stores anymore.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Besides alcoholics going through withdrawal, people would probably start making and selling there own. Health hazard
This has been the case since man learned to control fire!

Moonshine anyone?

Where I come from its called Poiteen.

This stuff is really big in homeless communitys so im told.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It's a legal beverage.
liquor stores have a license to sell it, as do many grocery stores, party stores, etc.
Would it be fair to discriminate and shut down a pure liquor store and deprive both the cusromer and the business owner?
Is it essential? For some it would be as others have stated. And for others it's not.
Is fast food essential?
Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I’m a little concerned that when the coronavirus pandemic settles down, the beds will then be filled with withdrawing alcoholics, and the rehabs filled. At least in my area, people are drinking extremely more than ever.