Notices

27 days today

Old 04-05-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

27 days today

Just wanted to check in with everybody. I am on day 27 and in 3 days it will officially be the longest I have went without a drop of alcohol in the last 10 years. I am completely off of all sleeping medication, dropped 10 pounds and my entire life is better. I am in a spot right now that I love being in.

I saw a friend of mine hungover the other day and I almost threw up (literally)... It brought back awful memories of being hungover for days. My neighbor, whom I drank with ALOT is being VERY supportive and even brought me an NA beer the other day when we were talking. That means a lot to me because he is a good friend as well.

There has been a few things that I have noticed in sobriety and would like to run by you all if you don't mind.

1.) This might not be a thing because of my wife and kids being home all of the time but I do feel forgetful at times to the days of the week. I was starting to fear I drank myself stupid. I am normally pretty sharp and my wife is normally scatter brained to that sort of stuff. Anyone else deal with random bouts of cluelessness?

2.) Ice cream... Sounds odd as hell.. I am not a sweet tooth type of person but I have raided the kids and wife's ice cream multiple times.. My wife even said.. "you getting into our ice cream again?" Anyone else notice this?

Finally, I am just a better person.. Things that bothered me before I don't care about.. My anxiety has all but gone away and I can't believe I am saying this but I am happily doing things without alcohol which is one thing that scared the hell out of me. I couldn't imagine my life without it. I have even reached out to my closest friends and family and told them about my decision to not drink. I want accountability at every turn.

You all have been excellent and I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

Stay happy and enjoy life!... SOBER..
Old 04-05-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

27 days of sobriety is great. And, I think ice-cream has saved many people here.

The forgetfulness/brain fog will clear up.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations, keep up the good work!

Research PAWS, Post Acute Withdraw Syndrome.....it will explain some of your forgetfullness and cloudy brain. It is normal.
I craved sugar big time as I was no longer getting it from alcohol. I was a sugar fiend and still am somewhat. I am at 487 days sober.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is great news, dbath

We’re happy you’re here with us

I hope that you are following a plan of recovery and not just trying to stay sober on your own
Old 04-05-2020, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on your 27 days sober.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Batlh, congratulations on 27 days, rootin for ya. I wonder about the ice cream thing. I start getting nervous when the tube gets low.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 04-05-2020, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is great news on 27 days!!! It gets better and better.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats! Keep up the great work!
Old 04-05-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post

I hope that you are following a plan of recovery and not just trying to stay sober on your own
Definitely am. It has mostly been by phone with the therapist because of the COVID concerns but that has been a huge help as well.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 27 days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ZIP

Nice work.
Roll sober...
On to 1 month!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Big congrats on 27 days!! I'm also dealing with some forgetfulness. Hopefully just passing thing since I'm early in recovery. I've never been big on sweets either but I keep craving chocolate chip cookies. Ha ha. Keep it up!! Awesome you're almost to one month!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Congrats on 27. I am heavily kindled and even at 1 year I still suffered off and on hell on earth.

That suffering is scarred into my memory causing terror thoughts that I may not pull out another relapse.

Hopefully, i can help someone by telling them my horror story. It will be much worse if i relapsed.

Sweets trick the brain. Exercise is my go to move.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is amazing! 27 days is a great achievement and I totally relate to that being the longest in ten years...here is the even better news, now every day you forward will officially be the LONGEST you have gone without alcohol!!! How great is that!
You didn't drink yourself stupid, you have been SOAKED in alcohol for a decade, that is a very long time and we cannot expect 30 days to clear out all of that booze so quickly. Give yourself a pat on the back and understand that this is a process - they say in AA "I wish you a long and slow recovery" and I get it now. This is a lifetime change and how great that you don't have to live hungover ever again.
Sugar ahhh. I also was never into sweets, it got in the way of my drinking. Actually, everything did. Alcohol is sugar so naturally, your body is in withdrawal and trying to get it any way it can. Sugar in the form of ice cream is heaven. I was nuts and feeling extremely heavy (I gained about 40 pounds from booze and junk) so I actually went keto for the first month and I can only speak from my experience but it did help me with alcohol cravings. Now I eat ice cream and sugar but try to manage it. You are more than deserving of the sugar you are having as long as you are healthy! Enjoy it, try new ones and this is normal.

You are doing great and we are all so proud of you. Keep it up. Life without alcohol is beautiful.

Nic.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post

Yes, there are so many online zoom meeting in the US. Message me if you are interested and I will send you thelinks.

They are so good I am sad to go back to normal life and not have this plethora of meetings to attend all day!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations dbatlh

D