Notices

Any other NY'ers here in the midst of this horror?

Old 04-05-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any other NY'ers here in the midst of this horror?

Wondering if there are others like me enduring this brutality on the front line.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No Lessgravity. Live in flyover land here. Sounds very scary where you are and I am thinking about you all very much.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in Florida now, but native Queens girl here.

Love to all of you at home. The bravest people I know ❤❤❤❤❤
Old 04-05-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I lived in NY for 3 years, fresh out of college and newly minted in my field. Worked at Worldwide Plaza. Long hours, cocaine, and found myself lonely despite all the people around. Forever in my memory, and praying for everyone there.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bit north of you, LG, but it's scary here, too.

I hope you and your family stay safe.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't imagine what it must be like. It's surreal. All of Mera's posts really opened the window to how serious this is.....so I'm imagining what you are experiencing is the same.

I believe Aellyce2 is NYC and Courage.

My heart goes out to you and everyone in NYC. Strange strange times. And it was so weird, the other day we (Idaho) had a 6.5 earthquake. That just doesn't happen. I have been in another very big earthquake in Cali but my brain was just rejecting this shaker....and I couldn't help feeling sort of apocalyptic, even tho that is completely irrational. Looking to the sky for the horsemen. Oh lordy.

If it helps to share you stories or thoughts share on. I believe it helps those of us that aren't in the thick of it understand just how rough this can get!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I lived through 9/11, my sister did not.

I know how NY'ers respond to the tough stuff. If any group of people can kick this things a** its us.

God and the rest of us are with you 🙂
Old 04-05-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Wondering if there are others like me enduring this brutality on the front line.
Hey LG, what are you seeing (or not seeing) going on in NYC?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep the horses in the stable, entropy. Don't saddle up. We will beat this thing eventually. Just got to stay strong, stay sensible. Stay safe. Stay sober.

It will peak, flatten, and fall. Suffocate the bastard.

Thinking of you all.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I now live, thankfully, in a somewhat low density area of the city. At least as far as NYC goes. I think the reports can't be overstated. Have a few friends who have/had the virus and are dealing. The city feels quieter than I can ever remember, besides in the weeks after 9/11. It's eerie if you let it get to you. Shuttered shops, sirens etc. And I have a very very close family member currently in ICU with the virus, older but with no pre-existing conditions, horrifying and sad.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I grew up on Long Island, lessg, and have friends and relatives still there and in NYC and suburban New Jersey and Connecticut.

My heart is with you, New Yorkers! (said as I hear my upstairs neighbor just home to his wife and 6-yr-old daughter after his shift at one of Boston's hospitals).

Manhattan (Harlem) U.S. Rep. Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.'s defiant slogan from the 60s comes to mind:

“Keep the faith, baby!"
Old 04-05-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi lessgravity. I’m sorry about your family member. That must be difficult. My mother in law is bedridden and has 24 hour health aides that take care of her. One has another patient that tested positive and that aide is in isolation now. We’ve stopped our daily visits even though my mil is within walking distance from our house. It’s very sad to not visit but it’s safest for all of us. We’re in NJ so not quite as dire as NYC but close enough. We have a friend in the city that calls every other night telling us the same as you’re reporting. He wants to stay here with us but we just cannot. Sending good thoughts & prayers to you.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I live in Manhattan and have been writing about it on the general Coronavirus thread, including that I possibly have the virus, mild symptoms for a week now, and will likely get tested in the coming week. If I indeed have COVID, I consider myself incredibly lucky for having such a mild course and now, not later. I know people who are sick, a direct coworker recovered, and some relatives of people I know have died. I have colleagues working on the frontlines, providing medical care. I hear ambulance cars passing by all the time. So surrounded by it all over, it is a chaos. Fortunately I live alone though, I am truly grateful for that.

Best wishes to you and your loved ones, less
Old 04-05-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm in NJ with family in NYC.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
p***enger

((lessgravity)) I'm sorry about your family member, and hope they pull through.

Fellow New Yorker here -- Manhattanite, where the case count is low compared to the other big boroughs, but that's probably just a matter of time. I live next to a hospital corridor (aka bedpan alley), so like you & Aellyce, a lot of ambulances, a lot of nurses to thank. I worry most, longterm, about the unemployed.

Aellyce, I hope you're feeling better.

I get a lot of pleasure out of texting and emailing people I haven't seen for years, all over the world, to share the COVID version of experience, strength, and hope
Old 04-05-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Less,

I don’t live in NY anymore, but my whole family, and many of my good friends still do. My best friend is a nurse in Long Island, prior to this she was a recovery room nurse for surgeries, many elective. Now her entire floor has been turned into a Covid 19 ICU floor, she is nervous going to work each day, she said she’s never seen anything like this in her entire life.

Another friend who I used to teach with lost her husband to Covid on Friday.

It is definitely scary, and I truly hope the numbers will start to decrease soon.

Sending so much love and giant virtual hugs your way.

♥️ Delilah
Old 04-05-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I live in Manhattan haven't left my house in like a week. We nearly have as many infected in NYC as entire country of Italy!

Given how 2020 is going sure to expect an alien invasion sometime in May!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi lessgravity. I'm in NY, but Upstate. Many people have come up from the city to stay in their second homes here in the Catskills. I'm sorry to say some of my neighbors resent them for doing so - afraid they're spreading it by being here. I'd be doing the same thing if I were them though.

I'm sorry for the terrifying situation you've been put in. When I think of what I considered a problem one month ago!....how I'd love to go back to just an ordinary day.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

My thoughts and prayers go to everyone on the front line with this disease.

Sorry for your relative less, best wishes to them to beat this and of course to you. Stay safe.

D
Old 04-05-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
p***enger

If anyone besides me finds data work soothing, NYC has upgraded its data resources over the last couple of days, including raw data on GitHub: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

CDC has more broad stroke data for the US with links to each state's website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

WHO updates international situation reports daily: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...uation-reports

And the Pan American Health Organization just released a database with really interesting guidance/research documents: https://covid19-evidence.paho.org/