Notices

Any other NY'ers here in the midst of this horror?

Old 04-05-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

WA state here - got sent home starting March 6 (remote work), plus husband was already on layoff, so over a month now. i am GRATEFUL every day that based on scientific research and modeling, the state took aggressive mitigation measures to get us all out of harm's way, that we are home and healthy. and that the cases and loss of life HAS been mitigated due to (most) everyone complying. back on Feb 29, researcher Trevor Bedford found a genomic link between WA state case 1 (jan 19) and WA 2 (feb 29):
This strongly suggests that there has been cryptic transmission in Washington State for the past 6 weeks
*google Bedford's twitter feed for a deep dive into the science*

unless we ALL comply, ALL stay home, stay safe, social distance, respect the health of others AS WELL AS our own, i'm never gonna be able to leave my house! as of right now, my research institution advises we should prepare for another couple months at home, AT LEAST. and remember, that is WITH strong mitigation measures already in place.

so when you are home and feeling a bit cooped up, or a lot, you are doing the absolute BEST thing for yourself, your family and your community. this is not a punishment, it's an opportunity to be part of the solution.

Jan 22 - 580 cases reported worldwide.
Apr 05 - 1,260,177 cases reported worldwide (so far today).
if you take out your handy dandy calculator - 580 x 2, and then keep doubling until you get near today's number, that a factor of 11.
Jan 22 to April 5 is 74 days.
74 days divided by 11 is 6.72. that means on average the number of cases has doubled every 6-7 DAYS, globally. as in everywhere.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm also happy to see the spring flowers of NYC.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

lessgravity...very, very sorry for your loved one in ICU.
I hope it ends well for that person.
This is the scariest time since 911 for us all but can't imagine actually living in NY right now.....Prayers to you....
Old 04-05-2020, 07:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Long Island , wife works in a hospital here, she is stressed , working her ass off.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((LG))) My sister lives in NYC and says it's crazy how many people are gathering just like nothing was going on.

Stay safe!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kdon853 View Post
Long Island , wife works in a hospital here, she is stressed , working her ass off.
Thanks for you wife's service! As a non essential worker my job is to stay home and stop the spread. While being stuck in the house is not exactly pleasant, I have nothing to complain about. Doctor's, nurses, EMT's. police officers, food workers and everyone else that is keeping things running deserve real praise putting their lives on the line. I live near a hospital and everyday at 7pm when their is a shift change you hear massive round of applause. Hopefully everyone does not forget these selfless people when things go back to "normal"
Old 04-06-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Best wishes LessGravity, especially to your relative in the ICU.

My family, friends and myself are Londoners where the situation is only slightly better. Large transport hubs have a heightened susceptibility to things like viruses.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Last night on the news they featured a lady from the Garden Valley area of Idaho (ie the mts where people in my area have second homes). They are really concerned about us heading that way, not only because of the virus, but simply their very limited access to resources. 1 store, 2 gas stations, 1 on call dr. So makes sense.

I hope everyone is coping in NYC. My heart is heavy for you. For everyone.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
(((LG))) My sister lives in NYC and says it's crazy how many people are gathering just like nothing was going on.
In some neighborhoods, yes, including mine to some extent. I can't go out to see more of it because I still have some symptoms, but I saw yesterday from my window a lot of people walking, some in pairs, some stopping to talk to each-other, not necessarily from much distance. I understand, the weather is so nice! When I last checked the stats, apparently my neighborhood was one with the highest number of cases within Manhattan - not surprised. I get the sense that the general panic is now decreasing (and apparently the severe cases don't climb that much either). I imagine there are probably waves of paranoia-saturation, where people panic and then want to just live their life and become less cautious... maybe every few days or so. I kinda feel that even in how much I am interested in the whole COVID thing and my pattern of looking for info and the news online.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kdon853 View Post
If you can, please thank your wife on my behalf. While I am going through what will be defined as one of the tragedies of my life, I am so grateful for people like her. The work that the entire staff is performing at the hospital where my loved one lays is just astounding. He remains in very deep waters at the moment but, along with those in his aid, he is fighting.

NYC is a place I love with all my heart. The sirens continue to blare but the quiet kindness of my neighborhood also shines though. My neighbor gave me cute handmade masks for my kids. I went to check on an elderly neighbor who told me I was one of many who had already.

Stay strong and stay sober everyone.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
If you can, please thank your wife on my behalf.
^^^This, and

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
NYC is a place I love with all my heart.
I see people out some more, but still keeping distance, wearing more masks and gloves, and the stores that are open are putting in even more protections -- my neighborhood grocery is limiting numbers in the door. When you see 8.4 million people trying to be careful not just about themselves, but about one another, you gotta be impressed with humankind.

Raise your non-alcoholic beverage-of-choice to humanity!
Old 04-06-2020, 12:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I wont drink to that.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Is anyone in touch with EndGameNYC?

I've not been here as much in the last couple years, but I think I saw him post somewhat recently.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sending love to NYC and to you all.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post

I've not been here as much in the last couple years, but I think I saw him post somewhat recently.
I was thinking of him too. I hope everything is ok.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
p***enger

Shot a visitor message to EndGame -- he's ok.

Here and today:

Old 04-07-2020, 09:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post

I thought I responded to your message very early this morning, Venecia, but it never made it to the big screen.

You're right. I haven't posted very much in the past couple of years.

I've been visiting and mostly reading on most weekends for a while. I've been here most days -- and posting more -- since I started working from home in mid-March.

Seems like a good time to say hello and go through this with people who know what suffering is.

Thanks for asking about me.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I worry what is going on in NY is just a speed version of what will happen in less populated areas before this whole thing has passed. Never the less, take care and I wish you the best.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
p***enger

DriGuy, maybe, maybe not. There are a lot of factors that influence how many contract COVID-19/need hospitalization/die. They vary locally; hence the differences between Wuhan and Spain. In some places, people naturally have much less frequent face-to-face, hand-to-hand contact than they do in NYC. Some places have much higher rates than others of preexisting conditions that make COVID harder to beat.

The shape of the curve from first cases to peak and flattening is pretty much the same everywhere, but it varies locally quite a bit in terms of how steeply (fast) it rises, and the % of population affected.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Living in NYC and it’s intense to say the least. I’ve been working from home since March. A good friend of mine is a doctor and sees the impact of COVID daily. Hoping the curve will flatten soon. Stay safe everyone!