Notices

Criticism

Old 04-02-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nez

Criticism

It is easy to criticize, condemn and complain. Anybody can do it, as it takes no special talent. It is much harder for me to be the change I want to see.

It is much more valuable for me to look for the strength in others. I gain nothing by criticizing what I perceive to be their imperfections.

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman
Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post Nez. Food for thought.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
waking down

So true, and I would add that this goes for judging not only others, but ourselves, and reality. The Buddha taught that we create suffering when we want things to be different than they are, and this is especially true of those things we can't or can only marginally influence, like the past, or others, or the state of the world. When we open to acceptance we become less tense, we don't need to fight reality, we take life for what it is and make the best of it with gratitude and humility.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So true, Nez. And it's one reason that in 12 step mtgs, we are encouraged to speak from the "I" and get used to the concept of "in my experience." Nobody wants to be ordered or "solved"- at least not this alcoholic
Old 04-03-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amen Nez. It's so true. The easiest thing in the world to do, is to sit back and criticize. Few people can lift people up, yet those people tend to be leaders.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, well said!