Notices

Can't Sleep

Old 04-02-2020, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't Sleep

Hello. I haven't had a drink or illegal drug since June 2012.

Lately I feel crazy. Like I'm watching myself through the wrong end of a telescope, or something. Tiny figure, off in the distance, it's dark, and she's going to burst into flames or explode, or something. It's crazy. Not exactly cravings. Like waiting to get hit by the train that's pulling in behind you. Doom coming.

I'm still working, spend all day telling people to stay calm, do their best. I'm watching, waiting. Something bad is coming. I can't shake the feeling. I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks.

I don't want to drink or get high. I don't want to melt down. I want to keep it together. I want to be able to sleep...
Old 04-02-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PixelDot - welcome

yeah I had a few nights of just crazy head running fill speed no sleep. I find if I exercise enough during the day I will generally sleep, and sleep right through.

There's a lot of other things to try too - meditations (a lot of guided ones on YouTube) reading a book in bed, staying off stimulants like cigs and coffee, eating well, not pigging out on junk food......

I hope you get some sleep soon

D
Old 04-02-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi PixelDot. I think everyone is reacting to trauma right now. What everyone is going through is painful, disrupting. The times in my life that I have felt similar feelings to those I am feeling now have been during deaths of friends and family, moving, changing jobs, relationships ending. I think we are undergoing a psychic battering right now and we are all processing it and reacting to it in our own ways.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family PD. These are strange and trying times. I find a lot of comfort here, in this world-wide family of members.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

That's some serious sobertime Pixeldot.
Welcome to the forums.
I think alot of us are having crappy nights lately... Reading in bed is the best somnifer I ever found. As naive as that sounds...
Stay safe
Old 04-03-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

there are virtual therapists now, if you choose to talk with someone
Old 04-03-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, PixelDot.

I had to stop watching the news and obsessively checking the numbers...now I'm just reading a few headlines a day - otherwise I get too anxious.

You're not alone.

We're all in this together...we will get through this.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sure you've tried obvious things like melatonin. But if not, it sure helps my kids.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Pixel,

Have you ever tried meditation? You can google mindfulness and/or meditation and find lots of info, and there are lots of guided meditation programs on Youtube.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fear is a powerful emotion. I don't blame you for your feelings. My wife and I are total opposites, I don't live in fear, she is scared to death.

But even myself who has been through some hairy situations and is not afraid to die, has been a bit frightened lately from time to time. Stay strong, we are here to support each other.