Notices

Generic question

Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Generic question

Someone asked me today if I'd tried naltrexone.
I haven't. The way my drinking is....once every 2-6 weeks, I am not sure if it would benefit me to take it every day.
Have any other binge drinkers taken it? Or is it just daily drinkers? Not sure I like the idea of taking a pill every day for something I do once or maybe twice a month at most.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The short answer is only your doctor can tell you if you'd be a suitable candidate.

I know some members here have used Naltrexone to try and quit completely.
I know you'll hear from them

There are other methods that use naltrexone to try and curb or control drinking.

Those methods are off topic here for obvious reasons.

D
Old 03-30-2020, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't drink every 2-6 weeks and you won't need naltrexone.

So simple.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Someone asked me today if I'd tried naltrexone.
I haven't. The way my drinking is....once every 2-6 weeks, I am not sure if it would benefit me to take it every day.
Have any other binge drinkers taken it? Or is it just daily drinkers? Not sure I like the idea of taking a pill every day for something I do once or maybe twice a month at most.
I took it and had a terrifying experience. It’s frustrating on it, bc you drink and don’t feel it, so the addict in you makes you drink more. On just 2 or 3 glasses of wine (I’d intended to have just 1), I blacked out, drove, and almost killed myself and others. I’ve also never been so sick as I was the next day. Please stay away from this drug. I thought it was a miracle drug. It wasn’t. It was hell. There is a miracle drug, though. It’s called sober living. And I’m not being sarcastic - it really is a miracle. I’m at 11 months sober today (exactly). Getting sober is much, much easier than living a life where you try to moderate using naltrexone, you don’t even feel the effects, so you automatically drink another and almost kill others. It’s awful. Please just quit. It’s much easier. And SO DAMN WORTH IT. You deserve it.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd talk to your doctor. Maybe part of the question is why do you start a binge? And what can help you not do that. I know someone who takes it as part of his overall plan. He would binge, but always struggled with normal drinking levels and ended up on one long binge that became his normal. 'Ive heard it helps with the cravings so you dont want to drink. Part of his plan was to modify behaviors, change patterns of activity over time so alcohol and binging didnt fit in. Without cravings it made it easier.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had similar response to a drug in similar class to naltrexone Sohard. Can't remember it's name. So many of them now.

I wouldn't go near any of them. Stopping drinking is the absolute best way to go imho.

Some people benefit, but I wasn't one of them.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd caution you to not look at it as "how often I drink" and instead approach it from the "what happens when I drink" angle.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a horrible experience on this.

It made me twitch and feel like I was falling during the night, which became really frightening, as it was all the time, every night.

I also drank way more than I planned too, I could feel my brain fighting it and ended up in a right mess. It also triggered an eating disorder, which I didn't expect and which was horrific.

It was my last ditch attempt to find 'the answer'......there isn't one. It's either drink dangerously or be sober
Old 03-31-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Total abstinence is the solution for an alcoholic to recover.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Total abstinence is the solution for an alcoholic to recover.
Total abstinence from what?
Old 03-31-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I had similar response to a drug in similar class to naltrexone Sohard. Can't remember it's name. So many of them now.

I wouldn't go near any of them. Stopping drinking is the absolute best way to go imho.

Some people benefit, but I wasn't one of them.
Wow. As though it were that easy. I particularly like the passive-aggressive smiley face. Nice touch.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

put your energy into recovery and maybe a therapist
Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post

Total abstinence from what?
I don't know. I just hope it's not masturbation.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have no idea what you are talking about Sortahomcomin, and am sorry you misinterpret my smile. Hard to find the right smile these days.

I had no success with any of these drugs. One had me feel I could consume greater quantity without getting too messy. Failed.

I was offered Campral by psychiatrist in detox as part of a semi trial. Experiment with the detox patients? I took the time to read the small print and declined her offer. She didn't like I declined. There were a few shockers contained therein.

I was simply trying to say that stopping drinking was the best way for me to go. It hasn't always been this way. I wasn't trying to be a smatarse.

I was trying to give a wink of solidarity, that's all.

Flat affect.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

it's not easy. giving up drinking is the hardest thing I have ever done and continue to do. I have a therapist, eat healthy and practice yoga. When I get an urge I picture my last drunk. In front of my young grandsons, drooling. Disgusting.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wasn't trying that hard Sortahomecomin.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes Awake, I know now it will never work.

In terms of horrendous withdrawal I reckon benzo's take the cake. Thirteen months off Valium and still feel impact on cns. Hell hath no fury like a benzo scorned. Didn't take large doses. Largely iatrogenic. It is continuing to improve, but has taken a really long time.

I read someone here say he didn't want to waste his life thinking about the same problem. It made sense to me and made stopping easier. I wanted it now. I hope I stay stopped. Self sabotage is easy.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I wanted to look this up because I was confused why people would drink more while taking it. It's supposed to take away the rewarding feelings of drinking which happens in the brain. No good rewarding feelings so the idea is a person drinks less or not at all. Just from reading looks like my friend was using it correctly and combined with therapy. SIde effects are noted and for those it effects, doesn't sound pleasant.

This is from the Institute Substance Abuse and Mental Health in the USA.

Naltrexone

Naltrexone is a medication used in medication-assisted treatment (MAT) to treat both opioid and alcohol use disorders.

What Is Naltrexone?

Naltrexone is a medication approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat opioid use disorders and alcohol use disorders. It comes in a pill form or as an injectable. The pill form of naltrexone (ReVia, Depade) can be taken at 50 mg once per day. The injectable extended-release form of the drug (Vivitrol) is administered at 380 mg intramuscular once a month. Naltrexone can be prescribed by any health care provider who is licensed to prescribe medications. To reduce the risk of precipitated withdrawal, patients are warned to abstain from illegal opioids and opioid medication for a minimum of 7-10 days before starting naltrexone. If switching from methadone to naltrexone, the patient has to be completely withdrawn from the opioids.

How Naltrexone Works

Naltrexone blocks the euphoric and sedative effects of drugs such as heroin, morphine, and codeine. It works differently in the body than buprenorphine and methadone, which activate opioid receptors in the body that suppress cravings. Naltrexone binds and blocks opioid receptors, and is reported to reduce opioid cravings. There is no abuse and diversion potential with naltrexone.

If a person relapses and uses the problem drug, naltrexone prevents the feeling of getting high. People using naltrexone should not use any other opioids or illicit drugs; drink alcohol; or take sedatives, tranquilizers, or other drugs.

If patients on naltrexone discontinue use, they may have reduced tolerance to opioids and may be unaware of their potential sensitivity to the same, or lower, doses of opioids that they used to take. If patients who are treated with naltrexone relapse after a period of abstinence, it is possible that the dosage of opioid that was previously used may have life-threatening consequences, including respiratory arrest and circulatory collapse.

As with all medications used in medication-assisted treatment (MAT), naltrexone is to be prescribed as part of a comprehensive treatment plan that includes counseling and participation in social support programs.

Naltrexone for Opioid Use Disorders

Extended-release injectable naltrexone is approved for treatment of people with opioid use disorder. It can be prescribed by any healthcare provider who is licensed to prescribe medications, special training is not required. It is important that medical managed withdrawal (detoxification) from opioids be completed at least 7 to 10 days before extended-release injectable naltrexone is initiated or resumed. Research has shown that naltrexone decreases reactivity to drug-conditioned cues and decreases craving. If patients who have been treated with extended-release injectable naltrexone discontinue use, they may have reduced tolerance to opioids and may be unaware of their potential sensitivity to the same, or lower, doses of opioids that they used to take. Extended-release naltrexone should be part of a comprehensive management program that includes psychosocial support.

Naltrexone for Alcohol Dependence

When used as a treatment for alcohol dependency, naltrexone blocks the euphoric effects and feelings of intoxication. This allows people with alcohol addiction to stop or reduce their drinking behaviors enough to remain motivated to stay in treatment and avoid relapses. Naltrexone is not addictive.

Long-term naltrexone therapy extending beyond three months is considered most effective by researchers, and therapy may also be used indefinitely. Learn more about alcohol use disorders.

Side Effects of Naltrexone

If people taking naltrexone experience side effects, they should consult their health care provider or substance misuse treatment practitioner to adjust the dose or change the medication. Some side effects include:
  • Upset stomach or vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Headache
  • Nervousness
  • Sleep problems/tiredness
  • Joint or muscle pain
Old 03-31-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Yes Awake, I know now it will never work.

In terms of horrendous withdrawal I reckon benzo's take the cake. Thirteen months off Valium and still feel impact on cns. Hell hath no fury like a benzo scorned. Didn't take large doses. Largely iatrogenic. It is continuing to improve, but has taken a really long time.

I read someone here say he didn't want to waste his life thinking about the same problem. It made sense to me and made stopping easier. I wanted it now. I hope I stay stopped. Self sabotage is easy.
Valium, know that one well. What goes up, must come down and I used it for that purpose. Withdrawals can be physically dangerous to do on your own.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I reckon it's spawn of satan in terms of withdrawal Lines.

It can be seriously protracted.

Hope you are doing ok Lines.