Notices

Hobby ideas to support recovery

Old 03-29-2020, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hobby ideas to support recovery

Hi all.

As the title suggests I'm trying to think of a hobby to get involved in that will take the focus off alcohol when things get tough.

I'm currently on day 1 but from previous experience I get very irritable and restless in recovery which is normally why I relapse.

So... any ideas? I'm thinking something sociable and active....
Old 03-29-2020, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

what are you interested in?

D
Old 03-29-2020, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

Here are some of the things I do
kindness rocks (look this one up...paint and hide rocks for others...cannot hide now with isolation so just painting)
Gym. Right now I do zoom workouts on the webcam with my gym since we cant go in but even with no equipment we do body weight exercises and you get an amazing bootcamp workout in half an hour!
feed the geese and ducks at the parks. We have several nice large parks here and a thousand hungry birds that want seeds lol.
10,000 steps a day walking. Make it a mission!
I like to do an "absolute challenge" for 14 days. I just google a schedule but there's lots of them...abs, booty, burpees, etc.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Flowing View Post

So... any ideas? I'm thinking something sociable and active....
Sociable? in the midst of a pandemic. Probably not a good idea.

What did you like to do before drink took over? You must of had interests. Rekindle them.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I collect wrist watches- got into it 2 years again now. Have an Omega, Tudor, Longines, Hamilton and a Seiko. Collection is worth about €8,000. I follow a lot of the Youtubers which passes a lot of time (good thing these days), reading about horology history and obviously thinking about my next purchase!

The best thing is to find something that really interests you, no point in following something you don't as for me the interest would be gone quickly. It may take a while the find the right thing but I'm sure it is out there.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

During this pandemic I have been eating more, trying to eat healthy, sleeping more, exercising more, watching tv more.

I jog for about 30 minutes around the neighborhood and I see folks in front of their houses and a few riding bikes etc.

A guy in a big jeep got a little closer to me than I liked last time I ran. I worry he was checking his phone and drifting out of his lane. I would have exploded if he hit me.

I am definitely a creature of routing and breaking that routine. I learned over the years to feel ok when i am alone for hours on end. It used to hurt more, but now I am used to it.

But, i do look forward to sitting down and having breakfast with my wife, seeing my son, and taking care of my doggy. This covid has strengthened our family bonds.

I am 90% ready to walk away from work, because I am not getting any younger and health is wealth. My job puts me in close contact with folks and I prefer to not get exposed if I don't absolutely need it.

Greed is a deadly sin.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I have interests, I suppose I wish those interests still appealed to me like they used to. I think years of active addiction has lead me to be very inpatient with my need for satisfaction.

I love lots of things but they take effort. Drinking takes no effort and gives an immediate response.

I actually think this is a good example of the paradox of addiction.

The things that ultimately give you pleasure and contentment, at first require pain and sacrifice. The things that ultimately give you misery, at first give you pleasure and euphoria.

What a ****!
Old 03-30-2020, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How about painting pots and planting flowers? You can force bulbs inside. Then give the plants and pots to a retirement home or hospital. By the time the bulbs are up, the weather will be warm enough for them to be outside in gardens or sanitized and inside. You could build and paint birdhouses, make bird feeders. Some places, people are confined to their rooms, their windows and what they see out of them, are their comfort.
We are making fairy doors for stumps in our woods lol. My friend makes fairy stumps she hides in her woods, (personally owned, check your local laws) for her grandkids to find.
Are the rocks you do, the mandalas of peace? You could do something similar on scrap wood too. Years ago there was a barn quilt tour. You painted your favourite quilt block on your barn and people drove around looking for them. There was a whole tour too. You could do the mandalas and put them in your window. A lot of people are doing art in their windows in the towns.

For me personally, I love to make fermented foods. I experiment with different veggies and fruits in brines and vinegars. I make my own salad dressings, I infuse oils. I like to garden, do needle point. Basically a 90 year old trapped in a 40 year olds body. I even play canasta lol.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flowing View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I have interests, I suppose I wish those interests still appealed to me like they used to. I think years of active addiction has lead me to be very inpatient with my need for satisfaction.

I love lots of things but they take effort. Drinking takes no effort and gives an immediate response.

I actually think this is a good example of the paradox of addiction.

The things that ultimately give you pleasure and contentment, at first require pain and sacrifice. The things that ultimately give you misery, at first give you pleasure and euphoria.

What a ****!
Yep.

Not social but I had been thinking of getting back into the salt water reef tank hobby but I decided to put it on hold a while ago when I started hearing about his virus. How bout building a model. I have always wanted to build a big tall ship model.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot of volunteer opportunities around right now if you're not squeamish about being around other people.

D