Notices

Seeking compensation for (abuse)

Old 03-28-2020, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking compensation for (abuse)

Childhood sexual abuse more specifically (in this instance)

I've discussed this briefly before but need some input now

Does anyone have experience re: seeking compensation?

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience here I'm afraid SG, but good thoughts and best wishes to you.

D
Old 03-28-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks man. Made a move anyway.

Here's my email...

'The Consequences of Sexual Abuse'

Greetings.

I refer to your website...

We pride ourselves on offering clients straightforward, cogent and knowledgeable advice both in relation to whether or not they have a case in terms of liability and the value or quantum of compensation to which they are entitled. Personal Injury cases range from minor whiplash to catastrophic injuries, death (Fatal Injuries) and in some cases can be psychiatric/psychological in nature e.g. the consequences of sexual abuse.

I'm seeking sound legal advice in relation to the above.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

(Space McGoat)

Now there is a kind of irony here...

This particular law firm is owned by the person whom abused me - but that's none of my business, as they say.

See what happens
Old 03-28-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doesn't seem like a good idea to pursue this through a firm owned by someone you're seeking to name as someone who abused you.

I'm not a lawyer but that is a clear conflict of interest.

Are you genuinely looking for compensation - or looking to make them squirm?

I'd go with another law firm with no vested interest on this case.

D
Old 03-28-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know your situation, but you said childhood. And I don't know how old you are, maybe very young, so this abuse might not be far back in your history?

Quite obviously you don't seek legal guidance from the firm that employs your abuser. For soooo many reasons. If you are truly looking to 'win' and receive compensation then find a different firm that specializes in what you are seeking. I would think you would need to 'build' a case. Witnesses. Proof. etc etc.

I cannot imagine reliving my trauma in that way. It never occurred to me to pursue anything like this, not that there's anything wrong with it if a. You have a legal case and b. It will help you to move on.

My abuser is my brother. And it happened a long time ago. For decades I just wanted him to suffer. Although that was all in my head, I never did anything. I just moved away and cut all contact...not that there was much at that point anyway.

If your goal is to humiliate this person then I would only ask, will that help? Will it feel better?

I found the people I blame the most for my abuse are the bystanders. The ones that should have protected me and didn't...in so many ways. But at this point, blame doesn't help me. It only hurts me more. I'm having to 'interact' with my abuser, have been for several months, and I have just come to realize he is simply nuts. I mean, truly sociopathic. My whole family is sick.

Anyway, revenge. Be careful. I mean, if you have a solid case I guess go for it. But it could only serve to hurt you more in the end.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I cannot for the life of me understand why you want to be defended by one of your abusers. Do you want to lose?

As someone who has suffered sexual abuse it makes me angry that you would choose such an option. Not that you could given the conflict of interest.

Best of luck.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you on all counts Entropy. ❤️
Old 03-28-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Spacegoat - I am really glad you posted! The only advice I can give is from my experience. I used to work in law. Lawsuits take forever to litigate. Right now, if I am understanding correctly from your other posts ,you need a place to stay. If I were you, ALL of my efforts would be in getting a secure place to stay. You can worry about litigation later. It's going to take forever anyway. What can you do today to find a decent place to live ? If I were you, that is where my entire focus would be. Everything else can come after you find a place to live. Nathan.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad SpaceGoat came too Nathan.

I don't want to feel angry SpaceGoat and maybe should have phrased my response to you more thoughtfully.

I was coming from the position of survivor. Emotional component. Ongoing.

Repugnant to think of anyone of *my* abusers being on my legal team freaked me out. Triggering. Allegiance with my abusers! Can't see it. Cry me a river.

You surprised me, but figure you'll understand I was coming from the position of the vic?

Are you still having difficulty in finding secure accommodation?

I hope you are not on the street. Are you?
Old 03-29-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Spacegoat, I would undertake some online research about how to seek legal redress/compensation, making sure that any advice or information is applicable to the laws of country you are from. Only once you have an basic understanding of the processes and procedures involved would I approach a law firm. Under no circumstances approach the firm of anyone who was involved in the abuse. Slow persistence is the best way to pursue legal matters.

I wish you all the best Spacegoat. You deserve justice.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

They can't represent you at all. Also, before anyone can represent you, law enforcement has to get involved because you are alleging someone has committed a crime. Best wishes to you.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I recommend you hire an attorney who specializes in clergy abuse cases. A quick google search should get you pointed in the right direction. Ideally an attorney who is not one of your abusers.

Why would you say who you hire to be your attorney is none of your business?
It is the very definition of COMPLETELY YOUR BUSINESS. Hard to find an example of something that is more your business than retaining an attorney.

Good luck Spacegoat.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

^Yes.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Happy Caturday...

Been suffering with migraines and other problems so only getting around to reading the comments now. I appreciate them all, very much so.

I think some of you may be taking me up wrong, you especially Steely!

Did not say anywhere that I am looking for representation- just making an inquiry. I'm assuming that they deal in settlements, that's my feeling on it.

Definitely no 'conflict of interest' here as I don't have any other than my hobbies. I am homeless though, that is a major problem for me, obviously.

There is actually a lot of interesting points in this thread that I want to consider in more detail, but have an ongoing headache at present.

Received no response to the email anyway, as of yet. I'll wait until next week and maybe fire off another, eh, reminder then...

Thanks folks
Old 04-04-2020, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

P.s: I applied to study law here several times (when I wasn't homeless) . Never heard anything back, as per usual. I have the smarts

Have actually mostly represented myself in a very important-and very scandalous- law case for over a decade...12 years, ongoing.

Actually, I was on my way into the court house the other week to enquire about a civil summons but they were closed down. Meh
Old 04-04-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You said, to a law firm, that you are seeking sound legal advice. That is seeking representation. I don't think Steely got anything wrong. I must admit I'm not exactly sure what you are seeking to accomplish.

Drop all other inquiries and go straight to an attorney who specializes in clergy abuse cases. Don't talk about your history of abuse with anyone else in the legal profession, or anyone else for that matter, unless you are trying to retain them as your representative to seek justice for what happened to you.

Any other inquiry, investigation, surveillance, or other efforts to address or figure out your situation on your own will be damaging your own interests. Go retain an actual attorney who does Plaintiff's clergy abuse cases. There are many and they will know what to do if anything can be done.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Law schools always respond to applications. Every single time.

You don't have to be smart to be an attorney. Some of the biggest morons I've ever met are lawyers. EQ's of nearly zero and not a lick of common sense.

Cases in modern legal systems never go for 12 years. Doesn't happen. Especially scandalous or important cases involving individuals. 3 years tops and that would be rare to take that long and the presiding judge would be under some serious scrutiny.

Spacegoat you seem to be keenly interested in the legal world, and you even seem resentful of the legal system and it sounds like you have much to be angry about. But don't dabble in in that arena. If you say things that aren't true, it could severely damage your very real legal interests. You are in over your head particularly with respect to seeking justice for the childhood abuse the that you have endured.

I'm going to guess that looking around at law schools, communicating with law firms that employ your abuser, comparing brain pans with lawyers, and talking about cases that cannot exist as you describe them are all ways that you are venting your feelings and anger about what happened to you, and perhaps about the many many shortcomings and deficiencies of legal systems everywhere.

I hope you can regroup and stop doing that and go hire a real attorney who can help you. As a victim of ritual childhood abuse, it will not cost you a dime to retain very good attorneys if there is anything that can be legally pursued on your behalf. They will handle all things legal and then you can focus in and tell your painful story and demand justice if there is any to be had.