Notices

Well... it happened. She's gone.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well... it happened. She's gone.

I haven't been around a lot lately here in the forum and I'm sorry for that.

Life's pace, all the things I'm juggling, my focus on family and work and the day-to-day has overwhelmed my time for things like forums.

I miss it. I need it.

Many of you know I've shared a bit over the past year or so about my sister. Her struggles with alcohol. Her anxiety, depression, anger and refusal to get help.

She was found dead this week, alone in her apartment.

My folks hold out hope it was somehow accidental. To me, I guess it doesn't matter what the exact cause was in the end. Whether failure of her organs or active suicide or some bizarre accident of 'natural' causes.....

The fact is she killed herself with alcohol. She'd been going further and further down the black hole. She'd passed the point of no return. There was jaundice and gout and strange physical symptoms and medical issues - all coupled with refusal to go to a doctor, refusal to get help, failed intervention efforts, isolation, seclusion.....

She kept it all hidden from pretty much everyone. My folks - though they learned a ton about recovery and alcoholism over the past year - still won't speak the word "Alcoholic" and cling to the notion that this was mental health issues, this was trauma, this was anxiety, this was...... anything but alcohol. Even now, they don't want to share that. They want to talk about her death in the typical frame: "She died unexpectedly after a brief illness". Let's not share how we really feel about what really happened. Let's edit the facts. Let's present a picture that only celebrates her beauty and quietly tucks the facts of the matter away from public view.

That pains me because I think it dishonors her and it continues the perpetuation of the reason so many - my sister included - hold shame around addiction. Hide it. Don't talk about it. Don't even say the name.....

I'm rambling.

My sister was 28.

I don't know how the hell to deal with this.

I'd had to cease communication with her late last year because her manipulation, alcoholic behavior, thinking and actions were unhealthy for me and for my family to be a part of.

The upshot is I never got to say goodbye. I know I couldn't have saved her, but already there's tremendous guilt about that.

I won't drink over it.... but I'm devastated. Mostly, boxing it up into a tight container in my heart and mind most of the time until it comes exploding out as a complete loss of control.

I now understand and embrace the terrible cliche "at least her struggle is over". It's still a weak salve against this pain. But I see that phrase with a lot more clarity and less cynicism.

Please, if you're in that place of despair..... if you're trying to quit and you can't..... if you know your inner self wants to be free - have the courage to ask for help. Give it absolutely everything you've got.

Life is a beautiful gift and despite what this f***ed up system we've created would have you think - you can be free of the horror and despair of addiction and you can be joyous and grateful and free.

Please say a little prayer or offering of peace for the soul of my sister. And please...... embrace sobriety.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss Free Owl - but we have your back.
D
Old 03-27-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks, Dee.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Big hug and lots of love from the UK FreeOwl xx
Old 03-27-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your sister.
Stick around. As Dee said SR is here for you
Old 03-27-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. A loss is a loss and it doesn't matter why. It still hurts. I send my love to you and your family.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry. So young. May she rest sweetly. Take good care of yourself.
Chicory
Old 03-27-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Sending you love and hugs
Old 03-27-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So very sorry for your loss. Sending a prayer of peace to your sister, you and your family.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so terribly sorry, you must be devastated. I don't know if this will make you feel any easier, but my heart stopped and my daughter was there so I was resuscitated. I haven't shared this with anyone but I remember it clearly to the point where my eyes must have closed, it was very easy and painless and I wasn't scared at all. I hope you don't mind me saying that xx
Old 03-27-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

May your beautiful sister rest in peace, FreeOwl, finally free from the earthly chains that bound her.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Prayers.

Believe your post will help someone.

The horrors of addiction.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry this has happened. My hope for you is that you will dump any guilt you feel about it. I don't think you deserve it.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Like Anna mentioned. We have your back so that
you dont have to go thru this alone or by yourself.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss as well.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So sorry, FreeOwl.

Been there. Twice in fact. Once with a 30-year-old brother-in-law, then about 15 years later with a "bff" way before that acronym had been invented (people thought we were lovers back (way back) in the day).

Actually, in their cases, there could be no mislabeling of their deaths as accidental, but, as with your sister, these guys killed themselves with ethanol, and with their refusal to otherwise address the mental issues that darkened, and eventually extinguished, their vision.

It is such early days for you, FreeOwl, you are no doubt still reeling. Yes, the pain and powerlessness are raw and real to the survivors, and inevitably the sense of guilt, even though, as you say, you could not have saved her.

Each of us is different, but I suspect it is universal that the rawness of the loss recedes as life, indeed, does go on. The mourning never ends. Perhaps that is sad in a sense but the flip side is the good news that it is just as true that your love for her will not die.

How will you cope? You will find the ways. Be strong. And be vulnerable -- a sign of true strength.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss. I imagine that could have happened to many of us if we had not changed.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss, so young too
Old 03-27-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
I'm so terribly sorry, you must be devastated. I don't know if this will make you feel any easier, but my heart stopped and my daughter was there so I was resuscitated. I haven't shared this with anyone but I remember it clearly to the point where my eyes must have closed, it was very easy and painless and I wasn't scared at all. I hope you don't mind me saying that xx
I don't mind at all.... thank you.