Notices

New Here & on Day 5 - Can't Sleep!

Old 03-27-2020, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here & on Day 5 - Can't Sleep!

I thought I didn't have much of a problem. I drank to self-medicate for life stresses and anxiety issues. I didn't think I drank all that much - justified it to myself. It's been several years of daily drinking. Recurrent worsening gastrointestinal issues prompted me to quit cold turkey 5 days ago. At first I didn't feel too bad, but day 3 brought a wicked migraine and fatigue and chills and then those muscle jerks when trying to sleep that wake you over and over. I've learned online they're called hypnic jerks. (There was another post on here about those that I saw.) I think that's my biggest concern at this time. I can't sleep bc of those terrible hypnic jerks. I've read conflicting things online. Some say those are very common in alcohol withdrawal and nothing to worry about. I've read other things online saying to see doctor because they could signal upcoming seizure. Any thoughts on this? I'm not shaking or having tremors during the day and no fever. No hallucinations. I'm only experiencing those muscle jerks when I'm trying to sleep. Otherwise, I'm mostly dealing with headaches on day 5, and trying to establish no normal without the old crutch. I'm actually eating again, getting appetite back some. I'd love to avoid seeking medical treatment if I'm through the worst of this and if these nighttime hypnic jerks really aren't something to worry about. I'd be happy for any input. I've definitely realized one huge thing - I absolutely had a problem, and it was bigger than I could ever admit to myself. And going through withdrawal has taught me that. I'm grateful I'm here at day 5 and I don't want to go backwards. Any advice you have, I truly appreciate.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Things change each day we don't drink and alcohol does a lot more damage to us than we thought possible. You'll get through all this stuff! Just know changes happen!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day5!
We cannot give medical advice but if you feel the symptoms warrant medical intervention do not hesitate to see a doctor.

Other than that keep coming here and don't drink.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Lillith

the only cure I know is time and sobriety - hopefully things will start to settle down a little now you're on day 5

D
Old 03-27-2020, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. I was in such a sleep deprived daze when I posted at 5:30 my time this morning I didn't even count my days correctly! Today actually makes Day 6 for me!! So I'm praying I'm only on the upswing now. Sorry about medical related questions. New to this forum and learning. I hope the nighttime twitching muscles subsides soon. And I hope to find healthy ways to cope when life stresses always pushed me to reach for another drink before. Any suggestions on that, I'd also love to hear. I'm also curious for those who always finished their evenings with drinks, how did you replace the routine? I end up feeling odd as the day winds down. The routine itself became a habit. It's like what do I do now? :/
Old 03-27-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story lillith. You've come to the right place.

I followed a link here and made my first post at 1 AM when I was on day 5 and was not feeling very good at all. As I got responses from people who knew exactly what I was going through, I continued to spill my guts out and it has saved my life.

I, also, did not quite realize the severity of my chemical addiction to alcohol until I quit.

I didn't have the muscular jerks you are describing, but definitely had a bad headache, severe fatigue, and some other symptoms. In time, the symptoms I had all passed, well all except for sore feet.

Towards the end, I would stop for beer nearly every afternoon. If working out of town, I would necessarily have beer in the cooler ready to go for quitting time. I now stop for a McDonald's tea on the way home most days.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd suggest trying a relaxing, warm bath before bedtime. It would change your nighttime routine and it could help your twitching muscles. Also, herbal tea (decaffeinated) is a great choice for a night time routine.

Good job on getting to Day 6.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try tea as an evening ritual to decompress. I had some chamomile and took a Benadryl. Hoping for some decent sleep. One day at a time. The good news is after these past several days I have zero desire for alcohol currently. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome Lilith,
It gets better with time but if you are really worried talk to your GP.
It might sound naive but reading in bed is the best somnifer I ever found.
Stay here, join a few threads, classes, above all stay away from the poison.
Vinny
Old 03-28-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Vinny. I actually got some sleep last night after only having the muscle twitching wake me up just a few times. Grateful for some sleep! (Although I did still wake up with another headache.) Thanks for the idea about reading before bed. I'll start trying that too. Reading other people's experiences on this forum is definitely helpful.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Lillith - I guess this is your Day 7 - congratulations.

I had all sorts of issues the first month after quitting - sleeplessness, aches & pains, even chills & a slight fever - & of course the regrets too. I drank 30 yrs. & it was part of everything I did - so those first days without it were brutal. Everything settled down though - most every problem I was having went away the longer I stayed sober. The joy of being free kicked in & took over.

I'm glad you were able to get some sleep. I read at bedtime too (still do) & now I actually retain what I read. The book doesn't fall on the floor - I don't pick it up the next day & not remember what I read. You're doing great.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes drinking does all sorts of strange nerve damage with me nowadays. Thankfully it goes away after three or four weeks, but picks up where it's left off if I start drinking again. Thiamine, i.e. B1, couldn't hurt if you can get hold of it, as drinkers are usually deficient in it and it helps the nerves and brain.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi lillith - come join us in the match group. We're a good bunch (honest!) and just like you in the early stages of sobriety 👍
Old 03-28-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome, Lillith - I guess this is your Day 7 - congratulations.

I had all sorts of issues the first month after quitting - sleeplessness, aches & pains, even chills & a slight fever - & of course the regrets too. I drank 30 yrs. & it was part of everything I did - so those first days without it were brutal. Everything settled down though - most every problem I was having went away the longer I stayed sober. The joy of being free kicked in & took over.

I'm glad you were able to get some sleep. I read at bedtime too (still do) & now I actually retain what I read. The book doesn't fall on the floor - I don't pick it up the next day & not remember what I read. You're doing great.
Thank you for the encouragement, Hevyn. I appreciate it. I'm seeing improvements each day and that's helping me to keep going.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Hi lillith - come join us in the match group. We're a good bunch (honest!) and just like you in the early stages of sobriety 👍
At the risk of sounding ignorant, how do I find that group on this site? Ha ha. I looked around but didn't see it. I could be looking in the wrong place.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeaceManic View Post
Yes drinking does all sorts of strange nerve damage with me nowadays. Thankfully it goes away after three or four weeks, but picks up where it's left off if I start drinking again. Thiamine, i.e. B1, couldn't hurt if you can get hold of it, as drinkers are usually deficient in it and it helps the nerves and brain.
Yes thanks. I actually just received my bottle of B-Complex vitamins in the mail yesterday. So I'm starting that. Hopefully will help balance things out some.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
At the risk of sounding ignorant, how do I find that group on this site? Ha ha. I looked around but didn't see it. I could be looking in the wrong place.
He meant the "March" group. It's in Newcomers forum. All you have to do to join is post in the thread.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-two.html
Old 03-29-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

you can start creating the life you want right now. make your own routine...
Old 03-30-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lillith.

In the quick minute I have right now I just want to say your story sounds exactly the same as mine -- didn't think I had too much of an ethanol-dependency problem and was mainly trying a dry January to see if my blood pressure would go down, then I noticed strange withdrawal symptoms on day 5 and found this site.

The comments above are all on the mark.

For now I'll just reinforce: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, ... and then drink some water. Also, I've discovered the great and interesting varieties of herbal teas available from my local specialty-tea store for the evening unwind, and I've used the old book-by-the-bedside trick to drowse off to sleep for years.

See you here often, I hope.

Oh, and the blood pressure dropped way down to normal range so I won't have to go on medication, at least not yet in my earlyish senior years, so my PCP was right. And it took only about 20 years for his gentle prodding to sink in to jr's thick skull.

I tapered off my SSRI for mood disorders in Month 1, as well, though as noted above, we all need to pay attention to our own health needs, and have different physical and mental health issues and appropriate treatments and solutions. There are many universal truths, perhaps, but at the same time no one-size-fits-all panaceas.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
He meant the "March" group. It's in Newcomers forum. All you have to do to join is post in the thread.
Ahhh, gotcha. I haven't been on here in couple days but I'll have to check it out! Thanks!