Notices

Just passed 100 days sober - Random thoughts

Old 03-28-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just passed 100 days sober - Random thoughts

I’ve stopped counting days - kind of. I hit the 100 day mark on Thursday but completely forgot about it. I looked forward to that day since day 1 but as time went on, it became easier and easier to have a sober day without the feeling of accomplishment of marking that day off the calendar.

I’ve realized I’m extremely introverted. I’ve been in sales my entire life so I’ve been trained to perfect the extrovert lifestyle. That’s not me. Hence, one of the reasons I drank a lot.

I truly don’t care what people think of me. This used to be a HUGE problem for me. It’s an incredibly freeing realization. I think this comes with age.

I am no longer chasing the paycheck. Having some money is essential. Having too much is pointless and can be reckless.

Family is everything. This goes without saying.

My anxiety is completely gone. I’ve had a lot of hurdles in the past 100 days. I got through them by....dealing with them.

I’ve really started investing in sports cards. I absolutely love it. It merges my childhood hobby and my adult finances perfectly and gave me a safe and healthy outlet.

My love for food has returned. When I was drinking, food was used to soak up the alcohol before bed and that was it. I’ve gotten back into cooking and I’m even teaching my 8 year old to cook with me. It really is awesome.

I’ve turned off tv for the most part. Not saying watching tv is bad but for me, it’s what I used to only do while drinking. I got back into video games which is still mindless entertainment but it engages and works for me. I can also play with my kids.

Those are just a few of ways my life has changed. I won’t sugar coat it, there is bad too. Let’s face it, alcohol in moderation is fun. There’s a reason it’s so prevalent in our society and in turn, why associations like AA were founded. Unfortunately for us, moderation isn’t an option. As soon as I realized that, the easier it got.

My current struggle is “laziness”. It takes a lot for me mentally to muster up the energy to do a project i.e. cleaning the house, fixing a door, mowing the lawn, etc. These used to be easy because after my “job well done”, I could reward myself with drinking. Not an option anymore. It’s getting easier by the day and the productive feeling afterwards for me is the same as a drunk buzz. It’s just retraining my mind beforehand that I am currently working on.

All in all, my quality of life keeps getting better and better. Cant believe I’ve gotten this far after where I was. And for those just starting sobriety, this site has been all I’ve been using and saved my life. There are a plethora of tools to help you. Find what works for you and stick with it.

Stay safe everyone!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing that, it helps keep hope alive for those of us still looking forward to making 100 days.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautifully put, Vinny, life really is a completely different ball game without drinking, isn't it?

Congratulations on 100 days, just great! I'm happy for you, reading it gave me a little smile in my Isolation HQ. Way to go!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This post is helpful because I'm definitely looking for new ways to function and healthy places to put my focus at this time. I operated on alcohol infused auto pilot for so long. I'm learning how to truly live in each moment now. And I already feel like a better mother just after one week. I'm more patient and more attentive and engaged. I like your ideas of video games with the kids and getting back into cooking. Thanks for sharing Vinny. And congrats on your 100 days!!!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your update!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lilith, looking back I was a pretty crappy dad. Not abusive or anything like that. I’ve always had a great relationship with my kids but I could’ve been way more attentive. Alcohol always came first. It sure feels good to finally be able to really enjoy their childhood. You’ll now get to experience that too .
Old 03-28-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
Lilith, looking back I was a pretty crappy dad. Not abusive or anything like that. I’ve always had a great relationship with my kids but I could’ve been way more attentive. Alcohol always came first. It sure feels good to finally be able to really enjoy their childhood. You’ll now get to experience that too .
Exactly!! I'm looking forward to actually being fully there for them, and being the mom they need.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Vinny McM

D
Old 03-28-2020, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulation Vinny. I'm a little over 100 days and can relate to all that you say.

Sometimes it's ok for the house to be messy. That's the approach I'm taking.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 100 days keep it up.