SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/446481-coronavirus-covid-19-thread-part-2-a.html)

Sober369 04-01-2020 07:28 PM

I made my first mask today, Mesa. The DIY site I found said that it's best to have one lining of non-woven cloth between two woven layers. You can buy it, but if you don't have any you can use reusable shopping bags, the ones that are made out of non-woven cloth. I had several. I am going to make this my new hobby.

Meraviglioso 04-01-2020 11:12 PM

Well, back to day 1. I drank yesterday, big time, 3 bottles of wine. I just don't know how to handle this anymore. Such a bad decision. I am so alone, so bored, no contact with anyone. Every single person I know is suffering so bad. One part of me says "who the f cares?" but the rational part of me knows how bad this is. It was a huge mistake and I feel guilty not just for myself but for the fact that when I drink ANYTHING can happen and I could have needed to call for an ambulance of psychiatric help and that is bad bad bad in these times. I try to do good and yet I did the worst possible thing.

newhope01 04-01-2020 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso (Post 7416199)
Well, back to day 1. I drank yesterday, big time, 3 bottles of wine. I just don't know how to handle this anymore. Such a bad decision. I am so alone, so bored, no contact with anyone. Every single person I know is suffering so bad. One part of me says "who the f cares?" but the rational part of me knows how bad this is. It was a huge mistake and I feel guilty not just for myself but for the fact that when I drink ANYTHING can happen and I could have needed to call for an ambulance of psychiatric help and that is bad bad bad in these times. I try to do good and yet I did the worst possible thing.

I’m sorry you drank Mera, but I’m glad you stopped. You’re right anything could happen and this is too dangerous a time to adequately get help if you need it. Please be safe. I’ve been following your story for awhile and I’m always rooting for you and your kids. Please think of them and remember they need their mother.

Dee74 04-01-2020 11:53 PM

I'm sorry you drank too Mera.

I can't imagine what its like to live in the kind of tragedy and despair and fear that Italy is experiencing right now...but I know drinking won't make any of it better.

No matter how horrific the circumstance I really believe than drinking can only make it worse.

Our loved ones, our neighbours, our countries and our world need us right now.

I believe you're stronger and braver than you know Mera - if you'd allow yourself that leap of faith.

D

Steely 04-02-2020 12:07 AM

I'm with Dee on that one Mera. It's going to be ok.

Reid82 04-02-2020 01:06 AM

Sorry to hear that Mera and it is a very demanding time but remember you will be at your best for yourself and others when you're sober. Alcohol will only seem to fix things but it is an illusion and could makes things overall worse.

Dee74 04-02-2020 01:39 AM

isolation brings strange gifts...:D

taplow 04-02-2020 03:47 AM

Don't have nightmares everybody. Away from the lurid headlines a lot of top experts in their field have a different view of the Livid19 mass panic. Here's one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwb5...ature=youtu.be

Aellyce 04-02-2020 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso (Post 7416199)

I'm sorry, Mera. You know the pattern though... anything and everything can serve as a "reason" to drink. You kinda knew this coming because you posted about it a few days ago.

Yes, these are challenging times, for some places and individuals more than others. If I could suggest anything, it would be to stay away from negative influences and people who flood you with their suffering and negativity and can only see the dark and the apocalypse in everything. I think there is a middle ground between engaging/empathizing too much and not caring. You don't need to listen to and/or save everyone - helping is valuable but it should not define your self-worth, especially if you don't help yourself first. Also don't need to feel guilty for seeking professional help if you need it, although I fully understand that part because I think I would feel the same. But the fact that we now have COVID-19 does not mean other problems are irrelevant and somehow have magically vanished!

Glad you came back and posted though fast - please take care of yourself :hug:

Meraviglioso 04-02-2020 06:25 AM

Yep, I saw this coming a mile away and should have been better prepared. I was due to explode at any moment and just let it happen. My standard methods of coping are not available to me now, I need to do something better and different. I miss my long walks with my music, they really eased the tension. But that is no excuse. I must be stronger.

venuscat 04-02-2020 06:34 AM

Aellyce2 ~ what a magnificent post. ❤️

Mera darling ~ you are not a bad person for drinking. OK, it was a mistake. And one you don't have to make again love. I know you feel alone and isolated.....we can message all day if you like..... :hug: s

My heart goes out to you every day.....being in Italy right now is harder than just about anywhere else....and yes, you have been trying so hard to help. And succeeding beautifully. But it is as Aellyce says.....you need to look after you first. Put your own oxygen mask on.

And lean in.....we all want to help you and we will.
One day at a time we will get through this together. ❤️❤️

venuscat 04-02-2020 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sober369 (Post 7416115)
I made my first mask today, Mesa. The DIY site I found said that it's best to have one lining of non-woven cloth between two woven layers. You can buy it, but if you don't have any you can use reusable shopping bags, the ones that are made out of non-woven cloth. I had several. I am going to make this my new hobby.

That is fantastic love. Go you! :)
I wish I could do that....not that good at sewing. :hug: s xx ❤️

Lixie 04-02-2020 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso (Post 7416394)
Yep, I saw this coming a mile away and should have been better prepared. I was due to explode at any moment and just let it happen. My standard methods of coping are not available to me now, I need to do something better and different. I miss my long walks with my music, they really eased the tension. But that is no excuse. I must be stronger.

If you need something to do, how about helping me learn Italian? Then I can teach you some basic Norwegian too. Imagine if you come out of this mastering a completely new language!

venuscat 04-02-2020 06:47 AM

^^^ :) ❤️

sugarbear1 04-02-2020 06:49 AM

Can you throw out all the alcohol in your home?

August252015 04-02-2020 06:52 AM

Hey all - I actually did what I send and left this thread alone til I was in a place to come back and check on y'all!

Whew. My wkd was ROUGH. Long story short, I cut off social media and even phone (like, turned off completely and not back on for 2 days) on Mon and Tu, and Mon executed the plan I had formulated over the wkd: see my drs. My GP has taken care of both my mom and me for 20-some yrs and worked me in on Tu. My psych and therapist both do face time/some service and I talked to them yesterday. Bottom line is yep, I need to change up some mind meds and we have a plan, and I indeed got some lab tests back that indicate stuff I had expected. Sidenote: early menopause is something I can look into now, and the platelet count-could-be-rare-leukemia issue is larger and needs a follow up, but we haven't crossed the number mark for next step re a daily med, yet.

This is my big concern, and really the only thing my husband and I disagree on:
per Karen
"So my oldest son is here for his birthday and they are all hanging out together, no distancing at all. I'm very upset and trying not to be."

My step daughter has done a pretty good job for being a senior in HS and missing it all, BUT she is not practicing the social distancing to the extent she should IMO and what we are being told. Cliff has seen her 3 times and we have had the circular discussion around that. Not sure it is entirely resolved BUUUUT

Gov of GA now called school for the year. The rest of the YEAR. That is an historical moment for sure. There is also now a shelter-in-place for the whole state. And one city in South GA (Albany) and its county now rival internationally with the highest reported cases in their area. Our county is one of the largest in GA (which I believe has the most or close to it number of counties of any US State) and the metro Atlanta area has basically gone into lock down.

It's surreal!!! On my walk this morning, one of the most disconcerting things is one of the busiest plazas in the area/neighborhood was essentially deserted. It's where the closest grocery is but everything else was empty- like one of the busiest bfast spots at 8:30 on a wkdy was freaky.

On a funny note, I have heard that the projected birth rate in 9-12 mo is likely to be lower than normal for some kind of major event as all of the home-bound stuff can lower romantic interest bc we are always together ;)

Glad we are all here, and I hope this online support in many areas (beyond our SR!) will be one of the great things we take out of this experience.

PS re essential businesses...there are some not funny ones like liquor stores being in that category, but some that make me laugh...like critter and varmit services. I guess if you get an opossum eating your floorboards that would seem critical to extricate ;)

Meraviglioso 04-02-2020 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lixie (Post 7416412)
If you need something to do, how about helping me learn Italian? Then I can teach you some basic Norwegian too. Imagine if you come out of this mastering a completely new language!

I would be happy to! I am not qualified to teach Italian as I am not mother-tongue, but could definitely help you with basic grammar and vocabulary. I would also love to learn some Norwegian. We get many Norwegian tourists in my local area and while all of the are fluent in English it would be a joy to at least greet them in their language! Pm me and we can set up a time for a Skype call. Not today though, nursing this hangover and all :(

Abraham 04-02-2020 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BeckoningCat (Post 7416040)
What you are saying is scientifically inaccurate. You can "believe" whatever you want, but that doesn't make it true or correct. COVID-19 is a zoonotic illness that is a novel coronavirus which means humans have no prior immunity to it (as we do to most common flus - aside from new epidemic mutations - or the common cold viruses). Furthermore, it reproduces at higher rate than the flu, making more people sick faster. It also has a statistically significant higher death rate. Not only that, but when beds fill up from COVID-19, people won't be able to get into hospitals for their other health needs, which is why social distancing measures are used to prevent everyone from getting sick all at once to prevent that aspect. This means more children and non-elderly could die, not because of COVID-19 directly, but because they can't get medical care for heart conditions, accidents, or xyz illness since the beds would be overflowing with coronavirus patients. This is why it is IMPERATIVE that we shelter in place.

Shelter in place worked during the Black Plague for aristocracy, and during the Spanish Flu of 1918 for common people in America. It's not new, and it is proven to work. It also is working in other countries right now.

As for economics, what you're saying is extremely unlikely. Worst case scenario our economic situation changes. A lot of the scare-mongering about the economy is due to people clinging to the current corporate capitalist model, not because "millions more people will die."

Not only that tap but we are saving the economy trillions by saving millions of people who would not be around to spend or make money.

Abraham 04-02-2020 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by LSC1 (Post 7416062)
I'm BORED!

says my 10 year old. Although she wont do anything suggested.

August252015 04-02-2020 07:08 AM

Surely you are being facetious here?
"Not only that tap but we are saving the economy trillions by saving millions of people who would not be around to spend or make money."