Notices

laid off again

Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

laid off again

In recent history, I was laid off for 8 months. I got sober in the 7th month of my last lay off. Now I have been back to work for 7 months and all was going well. Lots of work but now with a mandatory stay at home issued I am laid off again. We can work as construction is allowed but most of our work is through the auto industry and they are closing down as well. We usually scrape through because my wife has a good job consulting but she just got the job she was on cancelled. Now she still has her job but no clients, so no billable work. I just hope they keep her on, because with both of us out of work we will not be able to pay any bills. I sure hope this is over with soon. No, I will not drink though. I feel like at almost 10 months sober I am well over it.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awe man sorry to hear that. Is it possible to find work elsewhere in your area? I'm sitting on pins and needles wondering if my job is going to be gone soon. I'm a consultant for the City of Fort Collins and surrounding counties are going on lockdown. What a time we live in. As hard as it is i just tell myself this too shall pass. Not to say it ain't easy. Hope you find something else soon!
Old 03-24-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

grocery stores are hiring and amazon. Other than that most are just shutting down. Going from $36+/hr to a grocery store job just wont cut it. I should get a $362/week unemployment check and through my union we get supplemental pay of about $175 a week so taking home about $500 a week is probably more that said jobs. Too bad my weekly bills are $650 not including food and gas etc...(just mortgage, bills, and car payment)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am really sorry to hear that - it adds so much additional pressure on an already super stressful situation. Best wishes in finding what you both need to stay afloat and staying sober x
Old 03-24-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
grocery stores are hiring and amazon. Other than that most are just shutting down. Going from $36+/hr to a grocery store job just wont cut it. I should get a $362/week unemployment check and through my union we get supplemental pay of about $175 a week so taking home about $500 a week is probably more that said jobs. Too bad my weekly bills are $650 not including food and gas etc...(just mortgage, bills, and car payment)
I think there is some assistance with mortgages right now. You might be able to at least skip payments without consequences. I’d call your lender and investigate some options.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling with this Abraham, but great that you get Employment Insurance benefits. In Canada, the Banks are allowing people to defer mortgage payments. Is there anything like that where you are? I hope your wife's job remains secure.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure what to say. My guess is that my job will be gone soon. My BIL was laid off last week. Restaurant manager for a national chain. This is just getting started...

I look at it this way. My parents survived the Great Depression and WW2. Compared to that this is small potatoes.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post

I think there is some assistance with mortgages right now. You might be able to at least skip payments without consequences. I’d call your lender and investigate some options.
Yea, I'm sure thats the case. With vehicles as well. I will be checking into that when/if I have to. For now my wife is still working so if that sticks we will be fine. I have been laid off alot and we get by. Just if we both lose a job with no jobs out there hiring... that is a scary situation.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry you're struggling with this Abraham, but great that you get Employment Insurance benefits. In Canada, the Banks are allowing people to defer mortgage payments. Is there anything like that where you are? I hope your wife's job remains secure.
Yea, there is stuff like that. Hopefully I wont have to become acquainted with them.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Not sure what to say. My guess is that my job will be gone soon. My BIL was laid off last week. Restaurant manager for a national chain. This is just getting started...

I look at it this way. My parents survived the Great Depression and WW2. Compared to that this is small potatoes.
True on all accounts. I hope your last statement remains true as the next few years go by.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Abraham.

D
Old 03-24-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sorry too Abraham,

Similar stuff happening here.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Man that sux. Hopefully your wife stays employed and you and the rest of those affected by this get back to work soon.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if your in America.I haven't been following too closely but I keep hearing about some stimulus package. Plus, trying to avoid getting political, I think some in Washington are starting to say enough is enough. The market rallied really big today and hopefully it's more then a dead cat bounce.

I had a long lay off from work after I got fired from the place I was at for 15 years. It was terrifying, almost a year sober and not use to or really cut out for this job hunting game. It's a bunch of nonsense and it's kind of the opposite of my skill set. I get sober and NOW they let me go!

Sometimes it just works like that. We can go to all the college, technical training and all kinds of stuff. In fact we should do what we can to improve ourselves. The way I see it though no matter how much of that we go through we cant make somebody hire us. That's up to God, God has gotten us this far. All we can do is play the hand he deals us to the best of our ability. Even a while after I got fired and money and patience seemed to be running low, everyday I would be grateful for the things i still had left. It took a long time but i ended up with much better pay.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

Really sorry to hear that starting Friday I am laid off too. Horrible timing as just bought a house and stuff. Won't be able to pay the mortgage. We won't be the only ones.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry to hear that. There are retraining programs for people who have been laid off (google "WIOA dislocated worker" in your state/locality).
Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That sucks. I figured a vast majority of us will be in the same boat soon. As far as school goes, they are all closed in my area. Even if not I would be close to retirement age by the time I got out if I went back. I already did the college thing 30 years ago and went through my apprenticeship program. Knowing a trade and having many certification's in welding it should not be a problem getting back into work once the world opens up again. We were quite busy with the auto makers putting billions into upgrades. Now they are closed and so are we. Hopefully our leaders in our respective locals will make it workable so we can survive before it becomes the end of civilized society. If they dont take my car and home during this I (personally) will be ok. I think utilities must do the same soon. No bills that is, till this ends.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Stay sober and working recovery and you’ll be OK. I have total faith in recovery. Also it’s prudent to know you’ll never be over alcoholism. One is merely recovered on a daily basis in my experience pending maintenance of spiritual fitness 🙏
Old 03-25-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
That sucks. I figured a vast majority of us will be in the same boat soon. As far as school goes, they are all closed in my area. Even if not I would be close to retirement age by the time I got out if I went back. I already did the college thing 30 years ago and went through my apprenticeship program. Knowing a trade and having many certification's in welding it should not be a problem getting back into work once the world opens up again. We were quite busy with the auto makers putting billions into upgrades. Now they are closed and so are we. Hopefully our leaders in our respective locals will make it workable so we can survive before it becomes the end of civilized society. If they dont take my car and home during this I (personally) will be ok. I think utilities must do the same soon. No bills that is, till this ends.
As a welder, you should be able to get back to it very quickly..big shortage of tradespeople nowadays! Basically everyone I know has lost their jobs at the moment.. I've had to close up a couple of my businesses temporarily and am spending the downtime to think of some new revenue 'flows' to incorporate for the future. Weird world right now but, it is what it is and we'lll get through it one way or another.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Stay sober and working recovery and you’ll be OK. I have total faith in recovery. Also it’s prudent to know you’ll never be over alcoholism. One is merely recovered on a daily basis in my experience pending maintenance of spiritual fitness 🙏
I respect that but for me, I quit a while ago so I say I am a former drinker. I dont and never have "worked" recovery. I just quit buying and picking up drink Just like I stopped smoking years ago. I think unlike alot of alcoholics I, luckily, do not have any "underlying issues" that I needed to work on. I just had to put the booze down. I dont think about drinking or not drinking or have urges or the need to talk about it etc... Whatever works for the individual is what is best. I'm smart enough to not let my guard down when and if I ever feel like I may want to drink again but for now those things are long gone and not even an issue. One of the last things I would want to do is start drinking again. I would like to start working again though.