Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Glad I quit drinking even though I knew it was a bad time to do so.

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm at 128 days coming up on 4.5 months. One of the major reasons I quit drinking was due to financial type stuff and the economy or stock market for that matter. I figured roughly a year or two ago that the stock market could go to the roaring 20s or booming 20s for the most part and it was on overdrive. Roughly 6 months ago I was getting worried about it happening or some major economic problem or even some economic problem happening.

Last month or two the stock market (DOW is down 10k) is down 10k. I didn't invest anything in the stock market during this entire time or the last 3 or 4 years alone (I didn't have money per say 4 years ago or 3 and it wasn't until recently more or so), but I'm glad I didn't invest anything recently or within the last 2 years alone.

I figured it was an economy on overdrive like the roaring 20s or booming 20s (1920s in America alone - economy on overdrive and it couldn't sustain forever). The economy was roaring or booming along like the 1920s to me personally is what this means for the most part (not exactly, but to just kind of explain it basically since I'm not an expert on this type of stuff just more or so a guy with history repeats itself (in my mind) in the long run as well as other stuff to as well. Not a financial advisor just way too many warning signs or red flags that I couldn't ignore or not see.)

I knew this was coming at some point and didn't think it would happen this soon, but knew it could happen a week after I stopped drinking if not just a day. It's not just health or anything like that sometimes. Sometimes it's just financially that could create the problem. It's not an easy time to be exactly sober for someone like myself due to this alone, but if something does happen (or were to happen) or it does get really bad at least I don't spend $175 a month on food and alcohol (roughly $75 a month). At least I made a great decision to quit and not spend that money on alcohol obviously if not just food to as well due to drinking and ordering something for the night.

Glad I quit even though it's not an easy time to do so. Had to just get this off my chest.

Long read kind of, but glad I quit since it's less of a financial problem if I stay completely sober in the long run from alcohol alone.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you quit too Mathematics

D
Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ZIP

Extra cash is one of the big benefits of knocking off the heavy drinking. I like the sanity and personal health benefits, primarily. But, I'll take that extra cash, too...
Nice work on your journey, Math'.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Part of my retirement is invested in the stock market and I haven't even dared to look. I'll survive no matter what happens. Congratulations on quitting.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never a bad time to quit drink drinking Mathematics. Congratulations on 4.5 months.

Hey, just checked the calendar. I'm 99 days sober. Good thinking 99.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 128 days Mathematics. And congrats to Steely too - tomorrow you'll be in triple figures
Old 03-24-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love having more financial stability/security. I am quite a well paid job too and in six months will be debt free. One of the many blessings from this change in my life. I had to dump a load of shame/guilt surrounding money too. That was toxic and sucked me back into old behaviours. Glad you are sober now too.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ZIP

That's impressive, Gabe.
Debt free and a non-drinker....a wise mix right there.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Never a bad time to quit drink drinking Mathematics. Congratulations on 4.5 months.

Hey, just checked the calendar. I'm 99 days sober. Good thinking 99.
Nice! I'll congratulate you now for 100 days....triple digits, baby!