Notices

Plague days with a drinking spouse

Old 03-22-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am so glad I'm not in my house with anyone but my dog and cat. Even my daughter has realized that staying in a home where she has her own space (her dad's) is better than the one room scenario in my still unfinished remodel. Thank god. Love her to pieces but there's such a thing as too much closeness.

Buckling down for a massive recession. That makes me want to drink. So glad I'm not around a drinker. I'm not strong enough for that. To all of you that have drinking spouses, tip of the hat. You're tougher than I!
Old 03-22-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm really grateful there's no alcohol here, too. There could be at some point, they aren't teetotalers, but just not interested in it. What a wonderful way to be! If they bring it home, I'll come back here and read the great posts about how to not let it bother us.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My wife drinks. I wish she would stop but that seems very unlikely at this point.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My husband still drinks, he hasn’t changed his habits for the better or worse since this has started. We are in CA so we are on lockdown. We can still go outdoors to exercise, and I’ve been doing that, however, tonight they said they’re going to start closing the parking lots at the beach and the parks because too many people are not following social distancing.

I hope I can still walk on the trails, but will resort to just walking around my neighborhood if I need to. I’m working from home, so I feel like I need to at least get outdoors for a bit each day.

Not sure about everyone else, but my anxiety is definitely up. I am very glad I don’t drink anymore, this could easily have been a time I would have drank way too much. Four and a quarter years sober and I have no desire for alcohol.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

♥️Delilah
Old 03-23-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Most definitely trying times. It would be so easy to start drinking for the next few weeks. The US has stopped, its terrible.

I am lucky, my wife is really not a drinker. There is a bottle of wine in fridge that hasn't been touched in weeks. I am not in a position to preach, but we need to stick together and support one another to the best of our abilities.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
p***enger

I agree, Thomas. I expect/plan to be on SR a little more often than I have been in the last few years. I'm so grateful to have this international community here to support one another.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I had quit in the past for long periods and was not much bothered by my husband’s drinking, which was daily but only a few drinks, never excessive.

This time was different. I was at such a desperate low when I quit 10 weeks ago. My husband for the first time has stopped drinking at home and I am so grateful.
I know he would like to be having a few drinks in the evening, with the whole world turned upside down, and I feel a little bad that I have not told him it would be ok for him to drink.
But...though I feel really solid in my sobriety...if there were beers sitting in the refrigerator, I know it would be causing me some uneasiness.
I send you my best wishes to get through this and hang tough, even though it is harder with alcohol around.
But as with you and others, I am so so happy that I am sober during this crazy time! And don’t have to worry about constantly running to the store for more alcohol!
Old 03-26-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunnyday13 View Post
And don’t have to worry about constantly running to the store for more alcohol!
This.

I was on a walk with my daughter this morning, just to get some air, gloves on, being wary of social distance etc. Streets in the city are remarkably, thankfully, very quiet. There is a little buzz though - grocery stores, walk-in clinics, some restaurants are still open. Also open were the 3 liquor stores I passed on the walk.

I thought about what it would have taken to sustain the drunk during these days and felt some incredible constricting anxiety - I mean holy ****, it would have been such a pathetic, ugly, stressful juggling of time; it would have taken much hiding of bottles and long stretches of pure anxiety as I would have had to wait for the next sip. I played out some of what a day might look like had I still been drinking now - and it was a brutal experience. So happy, so lucky to be out of that everywhere prison.