SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Roads to tread for us all Weekenders 20 - 23 March 2020 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/446365-new-roads-tread-us-all-weekenders-20-23-march-2020-a.html)

lunar 03-23-2020 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MLD51 (Post 7409740)
Lunar, I think Jambu (did I get that right??) is adorable. If I were brave I’d get one. Not that brave. Maybe a smaller frog or two, though. When this is all over. Any recommendations for smaller, less intimidating frogs to have as pets? Easier to feed?

His name is Jōbū. (chuckle)

Actually, look into the so-called Pac-Man frogs.
Nowadays, they've been CB into some beautiful color morphs.
Still voracious, but will never get to Pixie Bullfog size, (and teeth).
Usually a baby is the size of a nickel. It potentially can grow to the size of a baseball, though, after 8-10 years.
You'll need a good food supply on hand, tho.
It's easy to raise a Blatica Dubia roach colony, with very little maintenance, and no odor.

https://dubiaroaches.com/pages/dubia-roach-care-sheet

They also love crickets, but unless you don't mind going to a pet store, if possible, once a week, it's a pain.
Raising crickets is easy, but they don't live very long and stink.

I usually deal with these folks.

Buy a Pac Man Frog from us here

Thanks!

biminiblue 03-23-2020 09:04 AM

Good trip, Manta!

Yeah I live in Tulip Country. They're getting hit hard, sales are way down. Bad timing. There is a big "Tulip Festival" here that had to be cancelled. I guess we'll all feel the pain of this in one way or another.

I think I will try the Farmers Market tomorrow. I can walk there, it's open air and all I really need is fresh produce. I've heard/read that the grocers are having to throw away a lot of fresh produce which makes me sad but whatchagonnado?

I'll report back on the effectiveness of my plan! It's a big family run market - well, sort of big.

MLD51 03-23-2020 09:10 AM

I was pretty sure I didn't have it right, Lunar. But I knew it started with a "J". No cockroaches. No. No. I lived in Florida as a kid. I hate roaches. Yes, I know these are different and all that. Can't do it. And crickets give me the major heebie jeebies. Maybe I can't have a frog.

lunar 03-23-2020 09:28 AM

Understood.

How about a king, corn, or milk snake?

It's easier- order frozen rodents, or chicks.

lunar 03-23-2020 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

biminiblue 03-23-2020 09:33 AM

I'd far rather have a snake than a frog.

Frogs ....they move too fast for me in unpredictable ways. At least snakes have a more nuanced approach..."Can I slither away in a big hurry or do I HAVE to bite?" I like snakes. Frogs, not so much.

*edit, that snake is fantastic!

MLD51 03-23-2020 09:57 AM

Yes, maybe a snake. I have had them before, and when I was little my uncle had 3 or 4 large boa constrictors (LARGE) and I liked them a lot. We lived at his farm for a summer and I helped him take care of them and played with them. I didn't even mind feeding them the frozen rodents. I was a little more squeamish about the live chicks we sometimes got for them. I won't get into the other things we sometimes fed them.

Cityboy 03-23-2020 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MLD51 (Post 7409788)
I won't get into the other things we sometimes fed them.

Road kill?

biminiblue 03-23-2020 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MLD51 (Post 7409788)
Yes, maybe a snake. I have had them before, and when I was little my uncle had 3 or 4 large boa constrictors (LARGE) and I liked them a lot. We lived at his farm for a summer and I helped him take care of them and played with them. I didn't even mind feeding them the frozen rodents. I was a little more squeamish about the live chicks we sometimes got for them. I won't get into the other things we sometimes fed them.

Frogs!?

No, yeah, don't go into it. Anyone who's spent any time on farms can imagine!

Cityboy 03-23-2020 10:02 AM

I think that I would have trouble feeding live chicks to a snake, though I suppose that's no different from when we would give our praying mantis crickets, or using worms or small fish for bait.

theVman31 03-23-2020 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a whole country of frogs here. All kinds.
Anyone know of the baguette frog ?
What a great thread the weekender.
I've learned so much here.
Socio cultural banter from all corners of the world.

NB: condolences for your friend Leigh. You are not having it too easy at the moment. Let us know if you want to banter...

Nighty night weekenders

biminiblue 03-23-2020 10:41 AM

Free Kid stories streaming from Audible Live due to this virus! See, some good will always come.

https://stories.audible.com/start-listen

I could use someone reading me a nice kid story, dunno about you. I don't know if this is available anywhere other than the US.

French frogs. That's why frog legs are so popular there, oui? (sorry lunar)

andyh 03-23-2020 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 7409799)
I have a whole country of frogs here. All kinds.
Anyone know of the baguette frog ?

I'm reading the Harry Potter books in French at the moment as part of my study to learn the language & "la baguette magique" (magic wand) still amuses me every single time. :D

MLD51 03-23-2020 11:02 AM

Shelter in place order starts tomorrow in Wisconsin. Essential businesses will be allowed to stay open (including liquor stores, of course). So we are only going to go out for groceries and to walk the dog and get pet food, gas for the mower. Pretty much what I'm doing anyway, except for the quick run up to the cabin, during which I only came in contact with one person besides my man friend.

MLD51 03-23-2020 11:09 AM

I should have put a rolling eyes emoji after the statement about liquor stores being deemed essential in Wisconsin. But I guess for people who are physically dependent, now is not the time to cut off the supply.

saoutchik 03-23-2020 11:15 AM

Good to see you jr, what do they call fishmongers in New England? (that sounds like 5he first line of a joke)

If Jõbū is a Prince he is disguise is brilliant.

Well done on getting shopping for your neighbours MantaLady. I did some shopping myself today and everything was available apart from soap (dunning about loo rolls as I didn't look)

I was hoping to work from home today but I got called in over not very much. Almost the first time I have ever driven in to work. On four wheels rather than one:-
https://youtu.be/mzMtjNE6wlY

saoutchik 03-23-2020 11:35 AM

Someone posted this hilarious and really quite clever little reworking of Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive to encompass the joys of shopping during a pandemic. There are a couple of alcohol references we might not find so funny but under the circumstances etc etc...

At 1st I was afraid, I was petrified,
There was no loo roll down at Aldi and I nearly cried.
Oh I spent so many nights just thinking how you did me wrong,
I used to wipe,
And now I’m forced to just drip dry !

No anti-bac !
No bloody soap,
and if you think you’re buying pasta well you’ve got no bloody hope !
I would have bought that box of eggs, I would have rationed out my bread,
If I’d have known for just one second everyone would lose their head !

Go on now go, walk out the door !
All you bloody hoarders,
You are not welcome any more !
Weren’t you the ones who just bought all the sodding beans ?
You selfish gits !
I hope you spill them down your jeans !

Oh no not I, I won’t panic buy!
Oh as long as I have alcohol, I know I’ll stay alive,
Though I can’t buy my usual cheese,
This will not bring me to my knees
And I’ll survive, I will survive, hey, hey !

It took all the strength I had not to fall apart,
There was just apples and 1 carrot in my shopping cart,
And I spent hours walking round just feeling sorry for myself,
The empty store, with boxes strewn across the floor

And you’ll see me, somebody who,
Cannot buy anything she came for, and it’s all down to fecking you
And frickin Reg from down the road is such a selfish blimmin git
Because he stockpiled all the loo roll so nobody else can have a s@*t !

Go on now go, walk out the door !
All you bloody hoarders,
You are not welcome any more!
Weren’t you ones who just bought all the sodding cakes
Can’t you make a crumble,
Do you people not know how to bake ?

Oh no not I, I won’t panic buy !
Oh as long as I have alcohol, I know I’ll stay alive,
Though I can’t buy my usual cheese
This will not bring me to my knees
And I’ll survive, I will survive !

saoutchik 03-23-2020 11:46 AM

Stay safe Mags!

MantaLady 03-23-2020 12:05 PM

Weren’t you the ones who just bought all the sodding beans ?
You selfish gits !
I hope you spill them down your jeans !

Thanks for that Sao, these lines had me proper laughing!! xx

biminiblue 03-23-2020 12:13 PM

Ha, sao.

I admit I'm using half or third portions of things like cheese.

The good part is that all the grains are now back in full rotation. I tend to mostly eat meat and produce most of the time. I'm all for the more-popcorn-more-rice & beans-more-pasta-more-oatmeal routine! Oh, oatmeal and apples, how I've missed you. (With protein powder now, for sure.) Shelf-stable calories for the win.