Notices

Positive activities in time of COVID-19

Old 04-01-2020, 07:13 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks MLH. Thing is, if you read around, the whole cooler vs warmer air doesn't really hold up in a consistent way. I dunno. Almost seems its more about being outside more, less confinement, better immune systems during warmer weather. So a bit like social distancing...just being able to be farther apart because of better weather? Eh whatever. It slows down, that's for sure. So hopefully Corona will do the same and the medical community can play catch up for when it returns. And we'll all be wearing masks at that point because they will have enough of them.

The whole mask thing. Do they (the govt) think we are stupid? Of course they don't want us making a run on masks. Its not because it won't help, quite obviously it does. Why can't they just be honest.....well then everyone would be wearing masks. And the situation for nurses would be worse. Which of course I don't want. But yes people, masks are coming.

So Baby Foot is just for the feet. I could use that for my whole body....just lay here in quarantine and molt. Ew. sorry.

We had an earthquake here. Yeah, in Idaho. 6.5. That isn't small. As a native Californian I was in both the 7.2 in 89 and the 6.4 in 94 (I was visiting a friend....great, love earthquakes). I thought, oh no, Cali just had the big one and what we are feeling is just shock waves. But no, thank goodness. Still unsettling. Probably geothermal. Maybe Yellowstone will blow and solve the whole pandemic thing. Yikes, sorry.

Very Very strange.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

MyLittleHorsie - thanks for the Baby Foot idea, I've never heard of it before but will order it from Amazon. I love getting good pedicures and I know I'll miss them during this lockdown. So something to do myself. Perfect time to try as we don't need to flash the intermediate result publicly

Entropy - you can give yourself full body scrubs and other treatments at home. Going to spas and trying different experiences and treatments is one of my favorite ways of relaxing. It's been one of the activities I've looked into creating for myself at home. Even just having a nice bath with essential oils and relaxing music can be heavenly I think a great part of getting positives out of challenging experiences is about openness, attitude and effort and trying new things can be very uplifting - can be hard to have the motivation at times and start, but then they become rewarding while engaging. I try to do something like that every day, even if very small.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

So I've just done the foot treatment - we'll see what baby will be revealed

A new, relevant issue of the newsletter I posted from earlier:
https://www.brainpickings.org/?mc_ci...eid=96502ffc03

Hope you are doing well, Venecia!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I've never heard of baby foot before!

Aellyce, good to see you! I noticed elsewhere that you've gotten what appears to be COVID-19. Living in NYC, I can only imagine how hard it is to get about anything remotely resembling daily life. I hope this finds you well on the mend.

My goal for this week is to learn more about starting seeds. I'm not a green thumb, but have had balcony flowers most years. So it can't be too hard, right? Hmmm.

I'm afraid this is very U.S.-centric ... did want to tell other U.S. members of SR that there are good resources in every state, thanks to university Extension Master Gardeners. You can find them online. I'm starting with this information from a chapter in my neck of the woods.

https://hennepinmastergardeners.org/...-the-pandemic/

What about gardening in other places? SR has an impressive international membership. Perhaps others have ideas about planting in their part of the world.

I hope to start with lettuce and salad greens. Maybe get some flowers started.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
My goal for this week is to learn more about starting seeds. I'm not a green thumb, but have had balcony flowers most years. So it can't be too hard, right? Hmmm.
This is exactly what I'm thinking, Venecia. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of balcony space and I'm ready to add to flowers this year. I agree there is a lot of information out there. In my city, balcony gardens are really common, so I should be able to get lots of support.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Making lists for shopping & laundry instead of wandering out in autopilot mode!

Making pancakes.

Doing a minor bit of cleaning or tidying.

Re-reading portions of favourite science & history books; researching on internet. Thank you for links!

Phoning friends more.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post

I'm afraid this is very U.S.-centric ... did want to tell other U.S. members of SR that there are good resources in every state, thanks to university Extension Master Gardeners. You can find them online. I'm starting with this information from a chapter in my neck of the woods.

https://hennepinmastergardeners.org/...-the-pandemic/

What about gardening in other places? SR has an impressive international membership. Perhaps others have ideas about planting in their part of the world.

I hope to start with lettuce and salad greens. Maybe get some flowers started.
Lettuce is easy. After a while it will go to seed and start tasting bitter. I usually start new seed about 3 weeks apart. I have trouble with tomatoes from seed, they get spindly on me. I think I start too early and they don't get pollinated the first time, at the right time. Have fun with it, I love gardening. I have certain plants that love me and ones I cannot grow for anything. Peppers, they hate me, between warring with the squirrels, struggling plants. 20 some years, I have gotten one pepper, the size of a quarter. I built iron maiden style cages and the effing squirrels still got them. Chives, I have entire beds full, lavendar, maybe 1 plant and he looked like he was struggling today.

Dh and I hot our first bike ride of the year. Little 10kms, kinda sore now lol.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Lettuce is easy. After a while it will go to seed and start tasting bitter. I usually start new seed about 3 weeks apart. I have trouble with tomatoes from seed, they get spindly on me. I think I start too early and they don't get pollinated the first time, at the right time. Have fun with it, I love gardening. I have certain plants that love me and ones I cannot grow for anything. Peppers, they hate me, between warring with the squirrels, struggling plants. 20 some years, I have gotten one pepper, the size of a quarter. I built iron maiden style cages and the effing squirrels still got them. Chives, I have entire beds full, lavendar, maybe 1 plant and he looked like he was struggling today.

Dh and I hot our first bike ride of the year. Little 10kms, kinda sore now lol.
my wife and I plant a garden every year. We plant some seeds but buy a lot of plants already started. We were outside this weekend cleaning up in the yard and talking about planting. Wondering if we will be able to get the plants from the greenhouse? Every year we compete with the wild animals for the food. Even using fencing, they still get in. My wife she takes it all with amusement saying we will just plant more for them. But they dont share! So we end up eating lots of peppers, tomatoes and very little broccoli or squash. They love squash blossoms. But you know, just writing this I'm smiling because it's all about attitude. And gardening is good quality time, productive, creative, relaxing, and fun. Have to find balance in life.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Yes, critters seem to think we're mighty nice for planting snacks for them.

Found has inspired me. Pancakes for supper here. I love breakfast for supper.