# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of March 2020 Part Two

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-one-20.html

D
Old 03-17-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

By the way ff, I have drank Listerine and strangely it's not much worse than anything else. Close to a liter with no problem.
Glad you came out ok, but not much worse than anything else? You gotta be kidding me Pel

The Dangers Of Drinking Mouthwash To Get Drunk
Some mouthwash products contain more than 20 percent alcohol, which is the equivalent of 40-proof liquor in the United States. Many mouthwash solutions also contain hydrogen peroxide and methyl alcohol, which are toxic to ingest.

Mouthwash is designed to spit out rather than swallowed, and ingesting even a small amount can be seriously dangerous. Alcohol (ethanol) isn’t the only potentially dangerous ingredient in mouthwash.

The chemicals in mouthwash may include chlorhexidine gluconate, hydrogen peroxide, or methyl salicylate, which are all toxic to ingest. Ingesting these ingredients by drinking mouthwash can cause mouthwash overdose, liver failure, and gastrointestinal damage. Drinking methyl alcohol can cause blindness, organ failure, or death.

“Swallowing large amounts of methyl salicylate and hydrogen peroxide may also cause serious stomach and intestine symptoms. It can also lead to changes in the body’s acid-base balance” (National Library of Medicine).

The Dangers Of Drinking Mouthwash To Get Drunk
Some mouthwash products contain more than 20 percent alcohol, which is the equivalent of 40-proof liquor in the United States. Many mouthwash solutions also contain hydrogen peroxide and methyl alcohol, which are toxic to ingest.

Home › Alcohol › Drunk from Mouthwash

Mouthwash is designed to spit out rather than swallowed, and ingesting even a small amount can be seriously dangerous. Alcohol (ethanol) isn’t the only potentially dangerous ingredient in mouthwash.

The chemicals in mouthwash may include chlorhexidine gluconate, hydrogen peroxide, or methyl salicylate, which are all toxic to ingest. Ingesting these ingredients by drinking mouthwash can cause mouthwash overdose, liver failure, and gastrointestinal damage. Drinking methyl alcohol can cause blindness, organ failure, or death.

“Swallowing large amounts of methyl salicylate and hydrogen peroxide may also cause serious stomach and intestine symptoms. It can also lead to changes in the body’s acid-base balance” (National Library of Medicine).

addictioncampuses.com
D
Old 03-17-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yuk Dee
I don’t even like the taste of mouthwash in my mouth, so I never use it.

Oh, and thanks for the new thread
Old 03-17-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto.

I was happy to find that you can buy Listerine without alcohol now.....so that's good. Nick wanted some and I won't have the alcohol one in the house. xx
Old 03-17-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Dee.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad you came out ok, but not much worse than anything else? You gotta be kidding me Pel

D
Sadly, all true. Listerine is 54 proof and there isn' t much to it. None of that nasty stuff you mentioned.

Camphor, menthol, etc.

Not happy to report that but it happened a few times when I was too far gone to go out.

Never again. Thanks, Dee. Thanks all.

For whatever reason I was built like a tank. Good for some things, really bad for addiction.

Pel
Old 03-17-2020, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ventured out to put a bank deposit in the night drop and swing by the grocery store. Very tempted to pick up "just a little something", I won't lie, it was hard. But I just kept telling myself don't do it, you don't want to be back to day 1 tomorrow. And I managed. It was uncomfortable at worst, but otherwise not too horrible. Day 4 almost done.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is wonderful love....what a huge win....every time we say NO we get stronger. And we get to find out how much better life is without alcohol.
Even in trying times....maybe especially in trying times..... s xx ❤️
Old 03-17-2020, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No worries dear Pelagic.....just really glad that you don't do that anymore. ❤️
Old 03-17-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank Listerine once out of desperation. I was going through horrible withdrawal symptoms while staying at my parents house. They had hidden all the booze as I was entering rehab the next week. 5am I was locked in the bathroom drinking a 10 year old bottle of Listerine. Not my finest moment. Tore my digestive tract to shreds and my urine was green for a couple days. Never again!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you were ok after that WL
How great you resisted OtterIsland.

D
Old 03-17-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was out buying groceries today and there was a liquor store right next door. My first instinct was to go in, but then I thought “I don’t belong there” and went home.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you too Bilr

D
Old 03-17-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love the success stories, big and small. Keep them coming!

One reason I joined another class is because I don't trust myself worth a damn anymore. I was always hopelessly "appetitive" as they say.

I got two final glasses of good wine from my wife (she doesn't like to see my withdrawal any more than I do). A piddly amount in any case.

But now a sleepless night going into day one. Nothing but crummy TV.

Hey, there's no reason any of us have to do this again. Plenty of proof here on SR. Not sure why that's been so hard for me.

Sleep well, live well as the case may be.

And thanks.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think like most of us, you've been giving yourself permission to drink, Pelagic.

The reasons and excuses change, but you still see drinking as a viable option in certain situations or when stress hits a certain level, or whatever.

I did too.

Getting to a place of non negotiable 'no.never again' is hard - but possible, if you're prepared for a little discomfort for a while.

The more I said no, the stronger I got.

D
Old 03-17-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Morning all, hope everyone is well.

How you doing pel? Day one is a bitch but in one way it's enjoyable because you know all the poison is leaving...

Ive got therapy this morning, then the gym, then home to 'look after' my teenager who is off school because of corona and has an unrelated medical appointment. We're going to watch a film and chill

Have a good one peeps, I might get a bit deep later after therapy so anyone who wants to get involved in a bit of self reflection please do so
Old 03-17-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good morning
​​​ Day 6 here
​​​​​​
It's my friend's birthday today. I had to send him a ****** gift because I spent so much money on booze last week
​​Feel a bit ashamed of that

His two year soberversary is coming up in a few months tho so I'll maybe get him a decent gift for that
Old 03-18-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Good morning
​​​ Day 6 here
​​​​​​
It's my friend's birthday today. I had to send him a ****** gift because I spent so much money on booze last week
​​Feel a bit ashamed of that

His two year soberversary is coming up in a few months tho so I'll maybe get him a decent gift for that
Good idea freedom and it will be even more special as you will be a few months sober too !!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Morning of day 3 feel alot happier this morning Still annoyed i drank, wasted money and did ridiculous embarrassing thing posting ex a card !!!! But its done i can't dwell on it, I can however learn from it and i finally see alcohol is never going to benefit me. Its out my life for good.

Hope everyone is well and well done on beating that av monster
Old 03-18-2020, 01:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My 75 year old father has an interesting take, albeit unpopular, on the response to the Coronavirus: He doesn't understand why the world should force the economy to a standstill to protect the elderly who are all going to die soon anyway. Why should younger people lose their jobs and houses, put their lives on hold, endure trauma and deprivation because 80 year olds are vulnerable? Let the virus take its course and if you die you die, you live you live. We don't need to extend an 80 year olds life any longer. Certainly not at the expense of younger generations. A young work force is absolutely essential to support the elderly. ?now no one is working and generating tax revenue.

Again, my dad is a realist. He ready to die but will probably live to 100 haha