Notices

I think I've lost it

Old 03-14-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

I think I've lost it

I am in a bad situation. I got the bad news today that my trips to europe and australia are cancelled. At first I was nervous about going on them but then I was so excited to be leaving in 2 weeks so what a blow to take.
also, my industry and career is heavily impacted by the coronavirus. My company has lost hundreds of thousands of dollars, which means I go day by day wondering if I will wake up unemployed.
the ONLY reason I haven't been drunk is because at this time I am still working!
I fear that as soon as I have time I will have "a couple of drinks" and we all know what that means.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey AnxiousRock.

I think we are all scared. I think we need to stay calm and self-isolate as much as we can.

Panicking is the worst thing you can do.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have extreme anxiety and this situation is obviously feeding it.
I've had fleeting thoughts of drinking, thinking I may as well, why not enjoy while I can, what if everyone dies, what if I were to die without having one last blowout.
But doing this sober is 100 times better than the alternative. I know if I were drinking, the anxiety may be alleviated for an hour or two but then would return 10 times worse the following day. I know I'd be struggling to keep a lid on it.
As it is, yes I'm anxious and concerned. I don't deal well with uncertainty. But I am also being productive, positive for my son, supportive to my husband and managing to have moments of joy. All of this would not be possible without sobriety.
Drinking isn't going to make anything better.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

You said it yourself Anxious. Having a couple drinks we know where that leads. To hell.
Hope you decide to stay sober and safe.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep your head up you got this
Old 03-14-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiousrock, I think most of us are unsettled at this time. We don't know what's going to happen next. I'm sure it's scary that your company is losing money and that leaves you wondering about job security. But, whatever happens, as long as you are sober you will get through it.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Nathan57 View Post
Hey AnxiousRock.

I think we are all scared. I think we need to stay calm and self-isolate as much as we can.

Panicking is the worst thing you can do.
lol I'm not panicking over the virus. I'm panicking that I might drink after work! The virus is pissing me off because everything is cancelled. There's nothing to do other than work and sit home and drink
Old 03-14-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
lol I'm not panicking over the virus. I'm panicking that I might drink after work! The virus is pissing me off because everything is cancelled. There's nothing to do other than work and sit home and drink
Plenty of other options besides that. Watch a movie??? I'm at home alone too - self-isolating - I'm watching a movie tonight, I am not drinking, You have to take that off the table. PLENTY of other things to do besides harm yourself. Come on now, you know better than that.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Nathan57 View Post
Plenty of other options besides that. Watch a movie??? I'm at home alone too - self-isolating - I'm watching a movie tonight, I am not drinking, You have to take that off the table. PLENTY of other things to do besides harm yourself. Come on now, you know better than that.
wish it were that easy. I hate watching tv and movies I really do. I wanna go out and do something or go to the gym but it's alllll closed. No concerts or sporting events either. Anyways. So far still sober.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Don't drink. Best wishes on your job. A lot of times these job situations aren't as bad as we think they are going to be.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

wish it were that easy. I hate watching tv and movies I really do. I wanna go out and do something or go to the gym but it's alllll closed. No concerts or sporting events either. Anyways. So far still sober.
Hang in there friend. You will hate yourself in the morning if you drink. I like movies when I am bored Or, I can walk around the block or play games on the internet. They have crossword puzzles on some sights or word games for free when I am bored.

You have to keep yourself safe and don't drink..
Old 03-14-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

well - you are not alone. it's not just affecting you. it's temporary. now is the time to make the BEST of it. you can call loved ones or skype. you can take walks. you can clean house, kon marie and feng shui your heart out. you can listen to audiobooks, start learning a language. catch up on sleep! and know that everyone of us who stays out of the community right now helps to slow the spread - so it's a good thing.

ps - i would be grateful as heck to NOT be traveling. many countries are forced to issue travel bans right now, it's unlikely you'd be getting TO your destination without some type of quarantine - and then there's getting back home..........
Old 03-14-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Are you able to get your trip refunded?
Old 03-14-2020, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No need to drink. I quit in the middle of a 8 month lay off while sitting at home. I had been drinking a 750 ml a day starting at about 7 am . As the saying goes, and I sincerely believe it in most cases, if I can do it you can to. Really.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I’ve been anxious as well. I have been supporting my kids who are pretty devastated that their sports season starts are over, and reassuring them that everything will be okay.

If you like to go to the gym get outdoors for a run or a walk, find some exercise videos you can do at home.

If you don’t like TV, check a few books out of the library, you can check them out online if the library is closed.

Take an online class, do some baking, organize something in your home you’ve been meaning to get to.

I think we are all feeling a little uncertain right now, nothing like this had happened in my lifetime. My 16 year old daughter posted on her running account earlier to control the controllables, for anyone on here that means continuing to remain sober.

Hang in there, we are in this together.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are many of us who either don't work or work from home and don't drink.
Theres absolutely no reason why you can;t do the same.

Drinking with abandon right now might be the very worst thing you can do - bad for your mental health, bad for your immune system and bad for you if you injure yourself or get sick and need medial help.

Your loved ones, or your community, may need your help too.

Don't let your inner addict convince you that you're allowed to drink.

D
Old 03-14-2020, 05:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Prayers for your peace of mind during these unprecidented times.

Like I told my son, things are not ok right now. Things are far from ok. We need to not be afraid, but be responsible and vigilant. Health is truly wealth.

Not drinking anymore makes dealing with the covid19 real. I can't run away from this. Drinking might take away the pain for a few hours, but then reality will set in...but now I am relapsed and craving.

Anyway...

Last week I was on early shift which meant waking up around 3 or 4 am.

Instead I woke up at 1 or so and bought rations to make me and my family at ease if things got super weird.

I didn't hoard. I just bought a reasonable amount. Omg....dudes selling purell on amazon for 20x the price are going straight to a bad place.

Blood money.

Anyway, my job decided to take this week off. What job can do that? No job. The end is near. I don't care that much about my job. I have been ready to quit for about 10 years. But, quitting at 45 seemed wrong, quiting at 55 still seems wrong. I like the work, just not the hours and the bs. But, that is life.

So, for now I get paid because the check has already been written for the near future, but the husky gal is stretching her hammys.

I have been blessed over the years and am not going to talk about it because this thread is about resisting the av during arguably one of the most directly difficult time in many peoples lives.

I am strong at this moment because I am super clean. I have had a cough, off and on since Jan 17th. I only got a fever 2 times in that stretch. The fever went away in less than 24 hours. That is called an immune system that works.

The only reason it works right is because i am a non drinker.

So, i was at the gym today at 4 am. Lifting weights, wiping down my hands after each machine. Not touching my face.

The world has just changed and it is going to get worse before it gets better. But, it will get better.

Powering through these temptation times used to be harder. I am off work for the next 16 days. 5 years ago I would be wasted every day and night.

My plan for now is to hit the gym every day around 2 am so as to not be around tons of people, Mr. Miyagi my house, eat fun and healthy stuff, hydrate with refreshing water, and watch every movie on Netflix etc.

Just finished 12 Strong. The horsemen Green Beret mission in Afghanistan. WOW!

I might also continue to participate in the stock market fire sale if it keeps going.

Prayers to us all, as required, in the face of our current realities.

Amen.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That’s all AV, Anxiousrock. Deep down you know that too or you wouldn’t be on this website right now, but your AV is trying to convince you all of that is true. You’re not a child, though. It doesn’t matter what you wanna do or what is closed or that you can’t go to a concert or sporting event. You’re an adult who is smart enough to know that absolutely none of that has to do with why you would drink at home. The only reason why you would drink at home now is because you are an addict, or you wouldn’t have quit in the first place. So stay at home, watch the news, read about things you likely know nothing about - like Middle Eastern civilizations from 5000 years ago or all the different facets of the Gaza Strip problem or Steven Hawkins Brief Answers to Big Questions or a Brief History of Time .Take this time to educate yourself on something you never would’ve taken a deep dive in before. I bet you can get some thing really neat out of this experience. I think we all can.

If we drink, we get nothing. Wasted money, wasted calories, bad livers, brain cells killed, bad decisions made. Nothing. I like to think of bettering myself at this time as helping to better society. Works for me.