Notices

Relapsed 1 1/2 years ago after 18 + years of sobriety

Old 03-10-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed 1 1/2 years ago after 18 + years of sobriety

I have been struggling ever since. Have had a lot of losses in the last several years which were very painful with an enormous amount of stressors. Need new coping skills. I also have lots of guilt and shame along with depression and anxiety. New here to the group, looking forward to chatting and support to help put this demon behind me. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. 18 years sober was a mighty impressive length of time. This "thing" never goes away as you unfortunately had to find out. Have you thought of a plan this time around to stop and stayed stopped? I'm sure it must be pretty hard after that time being sober for so long Best of luck.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response, it's greatly appreciated. I just recently got back into therapy, only 2 visits so far. I am tired of this active alcoholic life and I am ready to put the plug in the jug. I did it before and I can do it again. Although, it's never easy. I almost lost everything a few times and I am done playing Russian roulette. Right now it's a minute at a time.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UkrainianCat View Post
Thank you for your response, it's greatly appreciated. I just recently got back into therapy, only 2 visits so far. I am tired of this active alcoholic life and I am ready to put the plug in the jug. I did it before and I can do it again. Although, it's never easy. I almost lost everything a few times and I am done playing Russian roulette. Right now it's a minute at a time.

Therapy is a really good start, stick with it, it may time some time for the benefits to kick in. It did with me anyway. Yes, it is Russian roulette for sure. In the end, there was a bullet in all the chambers when I drank, I couldn't get away with it anymore. Keep posting here too
Old 03-10-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Your story is similar to mine. I had 20 yrs sober and relapsed. I finally got serious and now have over 10 yrs sober. I hope our support can help you as much as SR has helped me.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you've joined us UkrainianCat, welcome. 18 years is awesome and all that sober time isn't wasted, you will have learned a lot, you just need to pick those sober tools up again and you can do that. You'll get lots of support and helpful advice here, you're amongst friends. Sending love. xx
Old 03-10-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support and encouragement it means so much and is very uplifting. Really feeling the love here. It's awesome!!!!!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR UkrainianCat. Stick around and post as much as you can, this is a great place for support.

Are you still drinking at the moment or have you stopped?
Old 03-10-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome. I haven't drank since last Friday.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, UkranianCat. When I found SR I was still drinking heavily, having relapsed after years of sobriety. It took me 7 yrs. of trying to be a social drinker to finally get back on track. SR helped me find the courage & determination to get sober & stay that way. Not feeling alone in the fight makes all the difference. Welcome!
Old 03-10-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn for your encouraging words . I know this won't be easy but, I am up for the fight and support from this site and all the wonderful people who have kind, encouraging and supportive ❤️ 🙏🏻
Old 03-10-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am struggling with the same demons. Alcohol provides an instant escape that is very hard to resist.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Ukrainian Cat - this is a place of great help, support & understanding

D
Old 03-10-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi UC and welcome. I hope you post often so that we can all learn from you. I am newly sober after 30 years of insane drinking and I don't ever want to drink again. But your history seems to be a somewhat common tale here in our world. I appreciate you offering your long term sober experience for the group to learn from. Tell us what kept you sober 18+ years. Did you actively work on your sobriety during that time and if so, what did you do to stay sober? Again, thank you for coming on this site. It helps people like me.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Ukrainian.

Your story rips at my heart and scares the daylights out of me. The thought of a relapse sends shivers down my spine.

You can absolutely get back on track and enter lasting and permanent sobriety. We are here to help. So glad you found SR.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi UkranianCat

You can take a leaf out of our dear friend LEASTS book. 20 years sober, relapsed and now 10 years sober.
such an inspiration LEAST and proves that you can do this.

There is so much support here in SR for you, day and night.

People in very similar situations to yours , so you are not alone.

you're among friends here. So leys get you back to how you were when you were sober. We all know how revolting we feel when we relapse and how GREAT we feel when we are sober.

you can do this, my friend xx
Old 03-12-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I had over 5 years sober and relapsed because I became complacent and thought it was ok to have a couple of beers.

I quickly retuned to alcoholic drinking and it took me a year to finally get sober again. I'm now coming up on 10 years of sobriety and I'm determined to never let my guard down again.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I guess I'm in a similar situation, only I quit drinking for about six or seven years. Going alcohol-free for 18 was a great run! For whatever reason I actually convinced myself that I could drink responsibly again.......haha......NOT! So, here I am again. I'm approaching six weeks of sobriety and doing pretty well other than experiencing some PAWS stuff.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have been thinking of you, Ukrainian. How are you?

I wanted to mention that you may benefit from one of SR’s monthly classes. Below is a link to the Class of March, 2020:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html