Notices

Morning Routines?

Old 03-09-2020, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning Routines?

I know this is kind of a "woo-woo" topic, but I'd be curious from others on here, long time sober or not...

What are your morning routines and do you think they help you drastically?

I find that I when I get out of doing certain morning routines like gratitude, etc... I end up feeling discontent.

In the times I remember the most important thing, at least for me, is being content with myself and doing the routines that foster that...

I'm in a much better state of mind, which of course...

Helps with sobriety!

Curious if anyone has a specific morning routine that they believe helps them personally and specifically with being content with sobriety.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My morning routine is very important to my sobriety, because it is possible because I am sober.

I wake up and see my little beagirl next to me and feel grateful that we're both alive and ready for the day. Start my coffee and take Billie out for morning potty. Come in and pour my coffee, then go upstairs to turn on my computer. Check email while I drink my coffee.

When I was at my worst, going thru withdrawals every morning, I had to give up coffee cause it made the w/d anxiety so much worse. Instead I'd drink a glass or two or three of wine to calm the shakes. Every. Single. Morning.

Now I wake up feeling pretty good, most mornings. I don't feel shame or regret and I don't wake up hating myself.

Waking up sober never gets old.

The rest of my routine - feeding Billie, then another cup of coffee, then a dog walk if the weather is good. If I were drinking I'd either be too drunk or too sick to walk her. So my morning routine is important as it reminds me of how much better things are now and that I am sober to take good care of Billie and my cats.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning! Routines, I think, are crucial to beating this. I switched mine up completely. I used to sleep until the last possible moment and have just enough time to shower, dress and head to work. Now I wake up 45 min earlier, get in a 35-40 min weight workout. I have time to talk to my kids and wife in the morning. When I get to work the first thing I do is write my daily affirmations in my notebook. After that I've been logging into SR to commit to another sober 24 in the daily support thread. Then I try to read and/or comment on a few of the newcomer threads. After that I'm into my work day. It's helped get me started on the right foot everyday.

Have a good one.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes my morning pot of tea is something I leap out of bed for, I drink the whole thing while looking on here, catch up on the news, then I feed and walk my dog. I do seem to have a rubbish day if I don't start like this.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like Least, I've got morning routines, Get up, make coffee, turn on the computer check out SR, and give few minutes to mapping out a mental agenda for the day. Then I check out a few other sites on the computer, and run out of computer stuff. But it's just habit. It's not harmful, but how helpful, I can't say, and none of it includes doing things to make be stay sober, but I do like the idea of taking a few moments to list things I'm grateful for. But I usually do that at some other point in my day, so it's kind of covered already. But I think this thread is a good idea.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha, not sure what 'woo woo topic' means but here goes - yep, another routine person. I'm in AA and my first sponsor instilled and expected incredible routine for me. Every morning I read the same BB pages, did a devotional, came on SR, read another meditation. I kept that specific thing up for about 2 1/2 yr- I loved getting up however early it took to spend this hour or so.

Now, at 4 yrs recently, I don't do exactly the same stuff but I do program stuff (like come here) every day.

I also like my morning time in general, often don't turn on any news or noise (which can be the same, sadly) and look at my schedule for the day and so on.

Gets my day off to a much better start- I hate having to rush to get up and be somewhere so I make sure I rarely have to do that!!
Old 03-10-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh lord, my morning routine is extremely important, as is just plain old structure in my day.

Mine is pretty simple, get up and I walk by my home office on the way to kitchen so I turn on TV and computer, get em fired up. Then make coffee, take my meds, my vitamins. Back upstairs to brush my teeth, take shower and get dressed. Downstairs we go, let dog out (make sure he does #2, he likes to cheat sometimes). Pour coffee, grab bagel and cream cheese and head back up to home office and start going through email, SR, news etc.... Dog will then sit right behind me and expect me to assist in his morning routine which is hilarious. Some treatos, a little dancing, chasing tail, rolling on back...kinda like Snoopy. Yeah, so my morning routine is really important.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sitting here now drinking mah coffee. Tastes kinda crappy, think I might need to invest in another Keurig
Old 03-10-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow this is extremely important to me and when i "slack" on something i definately notice. When i was drinking 5am didn't exist..lol..like someone said earlier i was sleeping until the very last minute. I would pull my sorry *** into the shower body beaten up from alcohol and sometimes still over the legal limit to drive put on wrinkly clothing and make self somewhat presentable. It's important to remember that because going back there is not an option.
Now i'm up by 5:30 most mornings, jump in the shower, shave if i need one, put on work clothes that look professional, PRAY and read a little. Today i rode my bike in and the birds were chirping as the sun came out. Wow i'll take that over the latter every day. Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-10-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Morning routines

Are so important to me. Like others, my dogs and cat take precedence. Then my morning readings and meditation, and then a text to my sponsor and AA friends. I've started coming here as well, checking in with you guys. I'm a stickler for routine. Have a good one.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're looking at my morning routine - a little time helping others focuses me and my recovery

D
Old 03-10-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never had a morning until about 4 months ago. Now I pop up at 4:45, go work out really hard, then make coffee and read Sober Recovery for an hour or more. I love my mornings so much now. I cherish every moment. On mornings I don't work out I still get up at 4:45. It is my best time of day. I journal and write down some things for the day, think about how lucky I am and make lunches for the girls.