Notices

What do you do?

Old 03-09-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do?

Hi I am back on day one after having been sober for two years I’m very mad that I slipped but now that I am going down this journey again I wanted to ask everyone here what do they do to maintain sobriety is everyone here in AA? Or do people do therapy

any help would be appreciated

thanks
Old 03-09-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Doing it by myself reading this site. I am in therapy, but that is more to do with being bipolar, which I was diagnosed as having back in January a year ago.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

8 months since I quit. So you have had longer time than me and I don't know if I have anything to offer. What I have done:

1. I worked out that I had to do something different as everybody says.
2. The only thing I was not willing to do was coming out. I was a secret drinker and I did not want my husband to know. I could not cope with the humiliation. So I did precisely this: I told my husband. It was my way of demonstrating to myself I was willing to do everything, including what I wanted not to do at all.
3. Did the '30 days experiment'/Naked mind online.
4. I started journaling
5. I bought 'CBT for dummies' and I promised to do at least a bit of reading and exercises prescribed there every day. Now I do them every Sunday. Sometimes only 20 minutes, but I make sure to reserve time to focus on my sobriety.
6. I write here; I read everyday the posts. Several times.
7. I read many books about alcohol and personal journeys quiting alcohol. Some resonate, others don't.

I have invested time on this. I think it is important and I am giving it a good go. I try to remember that it is a big thing and I should be proud because it was not easy, but it is very rewarding.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Those are great suggestions ^

op i just slipped after 9 months so i totally feel you and admire you for coming back anyway. Im on day 3, i just bought a gratitude journal, a spirituality book, have accepted that drinking is not worth it and not an option, and ive got to build a sober life i love and be patient in the meantime. And donuts. Lol
Old 03-09-2020, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First off, I’m happy that you’re posting here and getting right back to sobriety! I’m at about 14 months sober and some things that have helped me:
- talking to a therapist. I only did a handful of sessions, so I know I should do more, but I did then in my first month of sobriety and it helped set a good, taking this serious tone
- keeping a routine on work days, but especially on weekends
- exercise, healthy eating, fresh air and all the other normal wellness things
- being kind to myself and recognizing when I’m having a bad or “triggered” day. Being willing to step back, admit if I’m struggling and look for help. Sometimes by reading/posting here, sometimes reaching out to a friend, sometimes going to bed early.
- staying active here I read more than I post, but it helps

Good luck and thank you for being here!
Old 03-09-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

DIY: Reading, reading about meditating, meditating, exercising, walking dog, writing, playing music, gratitude and acceptance practices, recreating myself and my life.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I took a lot from BackandScared as well. Balanced, workable. Thanks BackandScared.

I mainly use here for support and accountability. I used to go to AA years ago, but no longer. For whatever reason it just didn't fit for me, but (still) taught me a lot.

I try to do the things BackandScared mentioned but need improvement.

I'm gardening and prepping myself to get into writing. My desk arrives Friday. Yay! Trying to return to living.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early in recovery, I had weekly sessions with my addiction counselor. I also came to SR every day to post and read. I no longer see the counselor but still come here every day. What I read helps me stay sober, whether it's about a relapse or a success.

I also hope to help others who are struggling with addiction. And when I help others, I strengthen my own sobriety.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

I took a good honest unrelenting look at myself and the man I had become. The results were painful and hurt, but they pushed me to to deconstruct my ego in order to rebuild on a more solid foundation based on the practice of honesty, humility, acceptance, courage, compassion, forgiveness and self-discipline. This proved to be the impetus needed to start me on the pathway to positive behavioral change, emotional well-being and spiritual growth. Which in turn has resulted in freedom, peace, and serenity. I am finally comfortable in my own skin, with being me and with life.

Long story short, I worked the twelve steps of AA. I don't believe it is the only way to recovery, but it was the way that finally worked for me.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Headstock
I try to stay busy, plan fun things, and make frequent check-ins to SR. I'm only on Day 17, but so far it's going well. Best wishes, don't give up!
Old 03-09-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did nothing the whole two years I was sober which is probably why I slipped because I didn’t have a plan do you have to go to AA to do the 12 steps
Old 03-09-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

I stay busy but lately trying to take it a bit easier since I think the stress caused me to relapse before.
Basically i work my regular 9-5. Gym right after that 5-6 days a week. After that dinner, laundry and make my lunch for the next day. Shower and bed early.
On the weekends I took a job working for a call centre from home in order to not have days off and be tempted to drink. On days off I try to go to the park or mall and walk plus go to the gym as well.
spare time I will paint.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Since my first couple of years of recovery, I've been here on SR and I always find inspiration here. I keep things very simple. I spend time with my family, I walk the beach almost every day, I read, exercise and spend time with myself.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I really don't do much of anything at all. My life has changed so much since I outgrew alcoholism. The thought of drinking never surges in my mind. It's been quite a relief since the days of desperate drinking. Therapy isn't necessary and AA would be harmful to my mental health. Of course, I do still go to AA on an annual basis simply to collect next sobriety coin.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Headstock,
i got and stayed sober by using peer support and supporting others daily with Lifering Secular Recovery. the daily involvement online there as well as one weekly face-to-face meeting and tons of diverse sobriety reading was crucial. active immersion, basically.
several years later, i realized that i wanted what the 12 step journey had to offer, so i started attending AA meetings. took me a long time to find one where i felt i fit, and then asked someone to guide me through the step-work.
which had been the big missing piece, the thing that really gave me an ongoing different foundation.
not sure i am clear on your question, but yes, i would suggest you attend AA meetings if you are interested in doing the step work, as a good sponsor will be really helpful.
though it IS possible to do that by yourself by using the Big Book and finding a trustworthy person to use fir your step five.
but i know for myself that i would have been nowhere near as thorough and conscientious if i had done it by myself. i would have missed out bigtime.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For an hour about, I visit four SR threads I'm comfortable with. Try to help other people visiting and reading.

In AA, for me, it's all about putting down the drink for good, committing to a life plan of working the steps and doing service and 12th step work.

I understand AA can be difficult, the organization admits this itself, and many many people are not willing to do what it takes. I think it is the best way to go even though the percentage of those starting recovery and remain sober their whole lives seems very low.

I am more open about my sobriety, either by adding a photo. for an avatar, revealing more of who I am, what I do. I also post on FB when a week checks off. Feel free to drop me a line or add as a friend.

Also, hitting bottom as far as alcohol goes helps determine our willingness. I've dragged this barrel along the bottom for decades.

Well I'm with you whatever you do....you deserve recovery!
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reply to her all very interesting topics and I’m going to try to do some of them I’m going to start exercising I have not drank anything today two years seems like a long time away that I had that two years sobriety but one day at a time my biggest problem is I have health anxiety and hypochondriac
Old 03-09-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My biggest practice is embracing Recovery daily and like it’s an exciting new way of life. This keeps me from feeling ashamed of putting the work first. Like meditating, meetings, reading, and exercising. Keeps me successfully sober 🤗
Old 03-09-2020, 10:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

headstock. Check out AVRT as well.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I got myself onto AA got a sponsor and started working the Steps which are changing me as a person. I joined the class of April 2018 and post daily. Spend time on SR reading stories of hope . The relapse stories like you help to keep me sober too because I know what is waiting for me if I pick up a drink. Read the daily readings on the site here from the 12 step forum. I read books on alcoholism and watched documentaries. Listen to podcasts... AA speakers especially , they are great. Pray. Keep in contact with other alcoholics. Daily gratitude list. Try to be kind and helpful to my fellow human beings! Meditate. Stay away from wet places as much as possible.

This is my medicine to treat my alcoholism. Of course there is alot of other stuff I do as well , yoga, exercise, get together with friends for coffee, lunches, do fun things with my daughter, swimming, walking especially down on the beachfront near where I live. Things that are good for my soul. These do not treat my alcoholism. My alcoholism centres in my mind. It is the atiff in my first paragraph that treats that.

i also have to fully concede to my innermost self that I am an alcoholic. There will never be a time that I can drink safely or moderately.

Well done for getting straight back

🙏❤🙏❤