Notices

Airports are a trigger

Old 03-09-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Airports are a trigger

Hey, SR family--I hope all is well with ya'll. I am headed to D.C. to visit my brother and his wife for spring break; I'd been feeling uneasy from some reason about the trip, even though I am very glad to be going, and my bro and his wife are wonderful--I am also a huge museum nerd. Just yesterday it hit me--airports are a big trigger for my drinking; something about the waiting, with opportunities to drink abounding. I realized that this is the first flight I'll be on since I became sober on 23 December 2015, so I'm just checking in for a bit of support, even though I am NOT going to drink. I'm sitting in a (very quiet) terminal, having a great cup of locally roasted coffee and people-watching. Before I leave I'm going to buy some dinner to take on the plane. I am very, very grateful to be sober--thanks, family.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Airports are a huge trigger for me. I buy fast food, like McDonalds or something, and head straight to the gate and sit down. I'll read or surf the internet on my computer. I don't go into any restaurant that serves alcohol.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey HeadEast. I'm getting ready to buy a sandwich and fries before we board--Tampa airport has tons of drinking opportunities; there are a couple of bars right by the gate. One is out in the open, just like a huge booze kiosk, so it's pretty hard to avoid, but it's okay. I'm not feeling any cravings--leaving in about 45 minutes.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good of you to check in. Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your trip goes well.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have supreme confidence in you and your recovery Verdantia - hope you have a great visit
Old 03-09-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I HATE ariports... I am only 8 months sober but have been through multiple airports since I quit. They are the biggest challenge.
I was a secret drinker at home. Airports were like the only place where it felt totally legit to be a woman alone having a drink. I loved that I could just sit down and order a drink or two. And then I would move to another bar (I was still too aware of being a woman and not wanting to give 'that' impression).

It felt like 'normal' drinking.

I have a full strategy for airports. I try to get there with just enough time to make it to my flight (without being totally stressed either). Then I give myself an objective of 'steps' to walk before boarding (usually 5000 per hour). And I don't stop.
I was in India recently and my plane was delayed by 5 hours... It felt so tempting. It felt like destiny was forcing me to drink. Instead, I found a massage place and had a wonderful back and neck massage and a manicure. Probably cheaper than the alcohol I would have consumed.

I hope you have a very safe trip.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

They are a huge trigger for me too I fly a lot a lot a lot and I have lounge access and hate flying so the free booze is so tempting all the time.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have always been frugal so I never drank much at the airport, but I associated travel with drinking so I always drank too much the night before.

Started every trip wrecked. Yay?

The dehydration from the plane. Dealing with cabs and hotels hungover.

Nothing justifies doing that except addiction.

Don't miss those days.

Anytime I drank, for fun, since I was a pre teen, was addiction.

Thank God sr and the www gave me the information i needed to break free.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really love threads like these, because they prove how amazing everyone here is. Hearing how y'all navigate tough situations and succeed is so inspiring.

Thanks all for sharing.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses. I made it to D.C. with no problems and am now getting ready to start exploring! When confronted with a triggering situation it is vital to come here first--my sobriety is too important to me to not do everything in my power to maintain it, and if I'd needed help, it would've been there. Have a wonderful day, sober family.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe a great book? Or, the joy of knowing you will land without feeling dehydrated and awful?
Old 03-10-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to DC. If you are on the north side of town and do AA meetings just let me know... Montgomery County is full of meetings. In town? I know a great meeting in G-Town. Just send me a PM :-)
Old 03-10-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love it- great job!! And DC is a fave of mine. Have fun - and now you have specifics you could even do in reverse for the trip home