Notices

Coronavirus

Old 03-20-2020, 08:13 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
This is where I grew up, Vancouver, BC. The Peace Arch is in a beautiful park area between Vancouver and the U.S. Border into Washington. I crossed this border hundreds of times. The inscription on the gates is seared into my mind. Due to Covid19, it's necessary and wise to close the border today at midnight. This makes me so sad. I think there is mutual love between Canadians and Americans and I think we all look forward to the border being reopened soon.

photo web hosting

I remember going there when I was in my early teens. I still have the small Canadian flag I bought. I also took my son to Vancouver when he was about 8. He was fascinated with the foreign currency. Thanks for that post. It brought back great memories.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:45 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 3 weeks Chris

D
Old 03-20-2020, 11:12 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

A link
From the Royal House of the Netherlands, Speech by His Majesty the King in light of the coronavirus, English translation:

https://www.royal-house.nl/documents...he-coronavirus
Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I don’t mean to take this thread lightly, but there is some amazing, detailed and beautiful writing in here, I have just read this entire thread and the passages especially from Mera, are poignant and heartbreaking.

Please preserve this thread as a small piece of our collective global experience, and Mera If I were you, I would save your posts, for your family to read through when hopefully all of this has passed us by.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:38 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

A brief note of solidarity to all from Scotland , UK. I have been isolating for weeks (working from home, only going out for food) as my wife is recovering from cancer surgery. We really cannot afford to get COVID-19. No one can. The numbers of infected and dead in the UK are rising pretty dramatically, especially in London. People have not been taking it seriously enough and I think we will suffer as a result of their ignorance. We too have had a spate of empty shelves at the supermarkets but it seems to be calming down. Thoughts to everyone on SR at this difficult and unprecedented time.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:29 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by b0glerd69 View Post
A brief note of solidarity to all from Scotland , UK. I have been isolating for weeks (working from home, only going out for food) as my wife is recovering from cancer surgery. We really cannot afford to get COVID-19. No one can. The numbers of infected and dead in the UK are rising pretty dramatically, especially in London. People have not been taking it seriously enough and I think we will suffer as a result of their ignorance. We too have had a spate of empty shelves at the supermarkets but it seems to be calming down. Thoughts to everyone on SR at this difficult and unprecedented time.
That's a beautiful post. I'm sending my best wishes to you and especially to your wife. Take care.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:05 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

It's great to have this thread here!
I listened to the leader of the WHO last night talk about the importance of improving our immune systems. One of the things he said was Don't Drink Alcohol. What a great guy. I'm glad we all got a head start of that. It sure would be tough to be in the first week right now. Hugs and love to everyone who is!
I'm looking for online employment. This is a good time to do it, before the jobs are all gone.
Also, working in the yard and enjoying being with my family. Two teenagers, so it's not all roses for sure, but it's been nice. My heart goes out to those families who are having to share their stay at home time with an active alcoholic.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

3 weeks is awesome twtom! Keep it up.

On the Covid front I just found out the home my parents are in has people with 'flu like symptoms'. I don't know if it is in the Memory care wing where my parents are. They suspended all visits about a week ago or so.

This is all just too little, too late. I feel so sorry for the drs and nurses on the front lines....well all first responders. I was thinking last night, I couldn't do that. I mean, obviously. But thank GOD they aren't all big pussies like me. They are absolutely risking their lives daily. Not just with the virus, but the hours, the stress. Just that is enough to weaken someone greatly. With the lack of simple protective gear I wouldn't blame them if they simply refused to come to work. They are wives, husbands, fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers etc etc. Just coming home from work is endangering everyone they love. Simply not right.

I sure hope the powers that be learn a lot from this. We have enough nukes to blow the world up 4000 times....to 'protect' ourselves. But just try to find some hand sanitizer. What is wrong with that picture?
Old 03-21-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

You said it Entropy. It's a warped picture for sure.

My thoughts are with you and really hope your parents are ok.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:41 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi all, hope everyone is staying sane and sober during this coronavirus mess. I just need to share this with my fellow alcholics would understand that I'm scratching my head that NJ USA has closed all non essential business and liquor stores have been deemed essential. I cannot for the life me understand why alchohol is essential? What are your thoughts...are your liquor stores deemed essential where you are?
Old 03-21-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

If you cut off all alcohol supply then thousands of alcoholics would simultaneously go into withdrawals and many would need medical attention. Obviously we need as much room in our hospitals as we can get. Also I think some people are buying vodka and using it to make homemade hand sanitizer. I'm sure some of the shenanigans that happened during prohibition might start occurring.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:59 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
Hi all, hope everyone is staying sane and sober during this coronavirus mess. I just need to share this with my fellow alcholics would understand that I'm scratching my head that NJ USA has closed all non essential business and liquor stores have been deemed essential. I cannot for the life me understand why alchohol is essential? What are your thoughts...are your liquor stores deemed essential where you are?
Most everything else is closed except grocery stores, pharmacys, banks, restaurants & liquor stores (both are carryout only).

I think 2 things - I live in a violent city. I think if they shut them down people would riot. I also think they are afraid of hardcore alcoholics going into withdraw if they can't get booze and would clog up an already taxed health care system.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

This whole situation is just crazy.
It reminds me of the general mood in the air right after 9/11.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:04 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nathan57 View Post
Most everything else is closed except grocery stores, pharmacys, banks, restaurants & liquor stores (both are carryout only).

I think 2 things - I live in a violent city. I think if they shut them down people would riot. I also think they are afraid of hardcore alcoholics going into withdraw if they can't get booze and would clog up an already taxed health care system.
I think you are definitely on to something...still sad situation.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am so grateful for the company of my dog and three cats. Being home isn't as bad cause I have their loving and entertaining company. If I have to stay at home all the time, at least I'm not alone.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:55 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hello friends, I hope you are all safe and well. Keep staying in, keep taking care of yourselves and keep reaching out.

I guess it is now day 14 of being on lockdown? I've lost track. The days run together, I don't know what day it is, what time it is. The only thing that remotely helps is that we have mandatory recycling here and each day of the week put out something different- Monday organic, Tuesday plastic, Wednesday regular trash, Thursday glass, Friday organic, Saturday paper. I guess today must be Sunday because there is nothing to put out....
The news yesterday was horrific, I can't remember the exact number but it was about 750 deaths in 24 hours. There is talk of starting mass graves as they simply cannot keep up with all of the bodies.
Police an military are out in full force. It started off light but people were taking advantage of the nice weather to have a little walk or bike ride to the shop to pick up 100 grams of prosciutto or a bottle of milk. This is not what we need right now. People need to do one shop for a week or 10 days and then not go out again for a while. This is difficult for Italians as we are used to buying and cooking fresh each day. A lot of people go to the shops nearly every day to get a piece of meat, some bread, some fresh vegetables. Not anymore. Though another issue is that things are much smaller here. The majority of people have refrigerators/freezers not much bigger than a dorm room fridge. So we are switching to things with longer shelf life- canned tuna, beans, canned vegetables. I am not, nor do I see anyone else, worried about food running out, it is just that it is not safe to go out and get it.
A lot of people both here in italy and around the world are wondering WHY? Why Italy? We don't really know. It is true that mistakes were made at the beginning, we really didn't understand what was going on and by the time the measures had been put in place it was apparently too late. It is true we have an older population but young people are getting sick too, and dying. The Italians are a very touchy-feely population, we kiss everyone we meet (or did, that is), shake hands, hug, stand very close together at the coffee bar. I just don't know. But it is happening and it is bad and very emotionally overwhelming.

I am trying my best not to be selfish during this time, but if I can have a little moment to get out my frustration here. I am very upset that the meeting that was to be held to evaluate my time with the children (where I was fairly certain I would be given more access) has been put off indefinitely. So I only see my kids a few times a week for an hour or so. Yesterday my children's father was out working in the olive groves, trimming trees and cutting wood. He sliced his hand open and had to go to the hospital. The hospital is possibly the WORST place to go right now, full of germs and they certainly don't need random accidents to deal with. But he had to and received many stitches, apparently it was a very deep, very big cut. He had called the nanny to come stay with the children, instead of me because according to the current rules I am not allowed to have the children at my house without supervision. She called me desperate as she has an elderly husband and said she absolutely had to leave at 7pm. I called and called their father but there was no answer so n one knew what was going on, when he would come back. I called my CTP (the court ordered psychologist) explaining that this was an emergency, not only in the family but a national emergency, surely the nanny could bring the kids to me for the night. She said that no, I could not have the kids at my house. I remained calm on the phone, but firm "so are you telling me it is better if the nanny leaves two young, worried children alone at night rather than bring them to their mother who can take care of them and comfort them?" I mean unbelievable. I get I made huge mistakes but over six months have passed since I was in the hospital and the one time I drank I did so privately and did not see or contact the kids. I am just so frustrated with the lack of flexibility during a national, no WORLDWIDE crisis. But I have to remember this is because of my actions, my drinking. I don't know though, I wish there could be some sort of emergency plan put in place. What if their father picked up the virus at the hospital (not that unlikely given his weak immune system) and then gets really sick? Who is going t take care of my children? Am I really not allowed to step up to the plate and prove my worth in a time of crisis?
I finally spoke to him and he was on his way home from the hospital. I ordered him to have the kids wait in their bedrooms and to go straight to the shower and fully wash every part of his body and put all his clothes and shoes in the washing machine with bleach. Who knows if he did this or not.

Feeling frustrated, sad, worried, emotional and helpless today.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:16 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry mera - I can only imagine how dreadful the situation is there for you, and how scared you must be for you and your families welfare.

If it helps (and I have to believe it does) you're all in my prayers.

D
Old 03-22-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

I am very sorry about what you need to deal with Mera. I live in NYC and we seem to be heading in a similar direction - will see. It has always been very predictable that NYC would become the US epicenter of COVID-19, simply because of the density of the population and the lifestyle: people spending so much time out using public transportation, the density of businesses and cultural/entertainment venues (which are now shutting down), and I think a general stubbornness and individualism characteristic of the culture here. I am personally in an easier position as I live alone and don't have any family to worry about even in a distance. For Italy, I think what you mentioned "the Italians are a very touchy-feely population, we kiss everyone we meet (or did, that is), shake hands, hug, stand very close together at the coffee bar" may have been a culprit. I also read analysts suggesting that in Italy, there is an especially high number of large and often multigenerational families living together - so less social distancing even in domestic conditions, which the government cannot really regulate easily and suddenly. These speculations and analyses are interesting but don't really change anything about the situation as these are conditions and cultures that won't change overnight either in Italy or a place like NYC, even under the strictest control. Here, there are still so many people out on the streets especially on days when the weather is nice and many advocate for going on daily walks, runs etc as a healthy way of coping.

I have tremendous respect for all the healthcare and other "essential" workers during this time, and everyone who volunteers to help in any way. I guess we just need to ride with it and do our best as individuals. It is indeed a state if helplessness, but we still have personal choices in how we deal with it.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
If you cut off all alcohol supply then thousands of alcoholics would simultaneously go into withdrawals and many would need medical attention. Obviously we need as much room in our hospitals as we can get. Also I think some people are buying vodka and using it to make homemade hand sanitizer. I'm sure some of the shenanigans that happened during prohibition might start occurring.
Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
Withdrawal would be an issue. Also, in lots of places liquor stores carry groceries items and home items including things like snacks, diapers, paper products, etc, especially in areas considered food deserts.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Mera, along with everyone here, I appreciate your posts from Italy. It is indeed sobering. I'm so feeling your frustration with your kids. Ugh.

Please please take care of yourself and keep posting specially if you need to vent. Ugh . . . just . . . ugh.

Question for all: I don't understand why taking a walk is bad if you stay away from others . . . . hmmm . . . .I'm in the US and our national parks are closing down as the parks were getting too crowded. I am in the Western US so there is lots of open space. People in my hometown are skinning up the deserted ski areas and skiing down. This seems like a relatively healthy thing to do.

Well I'm doing a FaceTime mass with my family today. A caregiver comes in later for my Dad; I have a several major sewing projects; and I keep trying to do living room strength training and yoga.

Keep the faith all!