Notices

Sleep and appetite...need advice

Old 03-07-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep and appetite...need advice

Hey. It’s only day 4 and I’m really having a hard time staying asleep. I wake up what seems like every other hour. I’ve tried herbal teas at night, meditation.it helps to get me sleeping but not stay there. I’m also having a hard time building my appetite back up. This morning I made a birthday breakfast for my 6 year old before my husband went to work. I watched them scarf down the food and I barely got through a couple pieces of bacon and eggs. Is it just a patience thing, it will get better with time? I really hope so.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day four is awesome. You should be proud.
As for sleeping and eating, I never ate while I was drinking and didn't sleep, either. I passed out.
It took awhile after I finally quit drinking for my body to normalize.
The thing I would do, is not worry about it and just go with the flow.
Can't sleep? Maybe get up and read or watch television.
Can't eat? Look at it as a diet and losing a few pounds.

Things will return to normal in their own course.
I don't know how long you drank, but I drank heavily for thirty some odd years.
It took awhile to get the toxins out of my system and return to normalcy.
But normal is different for different people. I still have sleep issues. I just make the most of it.

You'll straighten out soon enough. Best to you and hang in there.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It will get better with time. Congratulations on 4 days.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleep is one of the last things to return to normal. I'm 3.5 months sober and I still don't sleep worth a darn. Slowly getting better. But tired and clear headed, calm and quiet is so much better than "rested" but hung over and sick. Just be patient and be happy for some quiet time in the middle of the night. I still try to enjoy the feeling of being awake at 3 a.m. with the comforting knowledge that I will feel just fine in the morning.

As for food, for the first two weeks I was sober, I only ate what my body craved and didn't worry about the rest of it. I ate raspberries and watermelon until I couldn't see straight. Days and days. As your body learns to use food again for its fuel, you will start to crave more varieties of food.

4 days is AWESOME by the way!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi NM2020!

Congrats on day 4

Insomnia is really common after giving up alcohol, I can completely understand the frustrations. I'm on day eight and insomnia is still massive but it is getting a little easier, especially the past two nights but I guess we just have to ride it out and try not to have expectations of when it will get better...
Have you tried evening exercise, reading a book or taking a relaxing bath before bed?
I didn't have loss of appetite but maybe it could be a case of eating little and often just to keep your energy up - Also trying to eat things of nutritional value (without being too hard on yourself!)
Really hoping these issues ease up for you over the next wee while!
Old 03-07-2020, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Totally normal in my opinion. Good sleep and a good appetite are two of the things I like most about sobriety. You feel normal.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your body is getting used to life with poison in it. It will take some time (days, maybe weeks) to get into a good sleep and eating pattern. Everyone is different.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with the others. It takes some time for sleep issues to improve. For me a week or so but I haven't been drinking heavily lately. When I quit after drinking heavily some years back I couldn't sleep for a good week. I used to put the radio on when I went to bed and just relax and listen to music. I decided that if I slept great and if not I would just lay and listen to music. Take the stress of falling asleep away and it just might happen. The main thing is to stay the course. One thing is for certain is IT WILL GET BETTER. Just no way to be certain how long.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think I will do that, just take things as they come. I’m glad to hear it’s pretty common and with time it will get better. Like you all said, just stay the course and keep going.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I forgot to add I’ll try out your suggestions too. I really appreciate them.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It gets much better trust me. I didn't eat much of anything for a week or so but got my appetite back big time and it was great. Don't be surprised if you crave a lot of sweets. Sleep will come back too and you will sleep better than ever. Give it a couple weeks to start sleeping better. It took me a good week to quit sweating at night and waking up soaked. Just hang in there.....it gets better soon
Old 03-07-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My sleeping improved tremendously within about 10 days but really took more like 30 days or so to get in a good consistent cycle of quality sleep without feeling tired all the time. After about 30 days, I was able to settle out my diet in a more healthy way.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is very very common. My appetite and sleep came back in time - a week or so. Stay strong.