Notices

Past mistakes

Old 03-02-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Past mistakes

I’ve been ruminating a bit on past mistakes. I’m working on AA Step 8, so this could be why my past is currently on my mind.

This morning I just happened to pick up a book I’ve been meaning to start reading. It’s a daily meditation guide called Journey to the Heart by Melody Beattie. I think someone out here recommended it to me.

The March 2nd meditation is about valuing your past:

When you look back at your past, look tenderly and gently at all you have been through. Look with the eyes of the soul. See that each experience was necessary to bring you home to your heart.

I know many of us feel guilt and shame over past behaviors, so I wanted to share this with anyone who is struggling right now. I found it interesting that this just happened to be the first meditation I read when this is exactly what I’m battling at the moment.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

“We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it” (Alcoholics Anonymous).
Old 03-02-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Nice post Daisybelle and very true. Strange as it may seem, the AA program can turn those past liabilities into useful assetts. Sometimes the horror stories of the past can be really useful in helping someone else, even if it is just to realize they are not alone.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a beautiful quote, Daisy. I love Melody Beattie's writing.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh I really needed this today. Thank your
Old 03-02-2020, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Recently a thought popped in my head, I want to live this year like it's going to be my last.

I struggle so much with both regretting the past and the blown opportunities and thinking to how screwed I am in the future. Meanwhile the time that I do have some control over, now, is passing me by.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have a lot of regret over my behaviors in the past. But the only way I can move forward is to focus on today. Hard to do but very simple.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post
I’ve been ruminating a bit on past mistakes. I’m working on AA Step 8, so this could be why my past is currently on my mind.

This morning I just happened to pick up a book I’ve been meaning to start reading. It’s a daily meditation guide called Journey to the Heart by Melody Beattie. I think someone out here recommended it to me.

The March 2nd meditation is about valuing your past:

When you look back at your past, look tenderly and gently at all you have been through. Look with the eyes of the soul. See that each experience was necessary to bring you home to your heart.

I know many of us feel guilt and shame over past behaviors, so I wanted to share this with anyone who is struggling right now. I found it interesting that this just happened to be the first meditation I read when this is exactly what I’m battling at the moment.
This has always been a tough one for me, DaisyBelle.
For me, the shame and guilt subside a little bit when I realize the person I am at 0.35-0.4 BAC isn't the person I am sober and working my program of recovery.

That other guy doesn't exist as anything but a hazy memory - and a few Facebook statuses and regrettable messages. More importantly, that guy no longer exists within me unless I let him out.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nothing to say except this thread is awesome.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks daisybelle7.

"Ruminating on past mistakes".

Guilt was definitely a factor that contributed to my cycle of drinking. How great it would be if you could just put it all behind you.

At least I'm not as sucked into that chronic feeling of guilt that I was when always drunk or hungover. The guilt is still there, as the past can't be completely forgotten, but at least those thoughts can be processed rationally now.