Notices

Sick with a cold, feels like a hangover

Old 03-01-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick with a cold, feels like a hangover

I have a cold. I know, no big deal, but it’s been a rough few days and I’ve been kind of laid up from it. Today my husband gave me some cold medicine to help my cough and boy did I forget how much I hate cold medicine. It helped my symptoms a little bit, but also made me nauseous, very foggy headed, tired and just out of it. Basically, felt kind of hungover. And I haven’t felt hungover in 14 months, so this was a great reminder of one of the many reasons I’m so happy I don’t drink any more. Because I felt BAD today and I know I’ve felt so much worse and lost so many days to laying around feeling awful, not because I was actually sick like I am right now, but because I was a hungover mess. Ugh, I’m so happy not to live like that any more. Now if I can just get over this cold!
Old 03-01-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better!
Old 03-01-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keeping-- sorry you feel sick, but, man, aren't you glad it's ligit and not a hangover--- so many lost days to feeling like c*@# are some of my biggest regrets. No more, though! I.am.done.with.that.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Totally agree.

I actually also feel hungover for a few moments evey morning as well.

I produce natural melatonin and when I sleep enough, I can really feel it.

Hopefully you are like me in that the immune system is suddenly turbo charged.

I didn't get sick for about 1 year after I quit and every time I get sick now it is pretty much gone in less than 24 hours.

Lack of sleep and stress seem to go hand in hand and drop my defenses.

I do load up on vit c and those sour immune e boosting tabs when I feel ill.

I also have been trying to keep my gut charged with probiotics using yogurt and tabs.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me too! This weekend has been a bummer but I was able to finish up my work week and come home Friday night and get in bed and just rest to get better. When I was drinking I would have got home then start drinking wine to feel better and smoke cigarettes on top of it. It would take me so long to actually get rid of the cold. I still don’t feel 100% but I’ll take it over a hangover any day! Hang in there and feel better soon 🤒🤗
Old 03-01-2020, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon.
If you have a fever might be good to check in with your Doctor?

D
Old 03-01-2020, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Funny because, kinda like you said, after spending many days of my life with horrible hangovers, actually being sick ain't ****!
Old 03-02-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeepingUp View Post
I have a cold. I know, no big deal, but it’s been a rough few days and I’ve been kind of laid up from it. Today my husband gave me some cold medicine to help my cough and boy did I forget how much I hate cold medicine. It helped my symptoms a little bit, but also made me nauseous, very foggy headed, tired and just out of it. Basically, felt kind of hungover. And I haven’t felt hungover in 14 months, so this was a great reminder of one of the many reasons I’m so happy I don’t drink any more. Because I felt BAD today and I know I’ve felt so much worse and lost so many days to laying around feeling awful, not because I was actually sick like I am right now, but because I was a hungover mess. Ugh, I’m so happy not to live like that any more. Now if I can just get over this cold!
When I graduated from the treatment center I attended, they gave me a cross-addiction list which told me what prescription and over the counter meds I can safely take.

There are plenty of both types that I, as a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, cannot safely take.

Sometime over the years, that list has disappeared.

Fortunately, though, when I'm sick and at the pharmacy, I google "cross-addiction list" and several of them pop up - usually ones that have been prepared and disseminated by treatment centers.

I follow those lists rigidly in selecting what kinds of OTC meds I can safely take and I never stray from following the lists (which are almost all the same).

Perhaps you do this.

If you don't, I would do so, paying particular attention to what you recently took.

I hope you feel better soon.

Finally, as the saying goes: We used to pay good money to feel like this.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I’m feeling a bit better today, except STILL groggy from that medicine. I’m going to bed early tonight and hoping to be back on track tomorrow. I will definitely be more mindful of what OTC stuff I take in the future. And Dee, no worries. I don’t have a fever, but I’m keeping an eye on it. I’m not shy to go to the doctor if I’m not feeling well, especially right now. Funny how seriously I’ve started taking my health, even when I was still pretty bent on beating my body up with booze. Very glad to be past those days and on to brighter ones.