Notices

Help

Old 02-29-2020, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Hi. I’m new to this site. I’m a massive alcoholic and actively in my disease. I’m about 7 hours without alcohol and I’m miserable!!! I finished off the Windex days ago and killed the hand sanitizer over a month ago. There is nothing in the house to curb my craving. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 03-01-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mary

try and relax - I know it's hard, but you're among friends here.
Have you got anything to eat - that can be a good way to deal with cravings?

some more tips here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

When was your last drink or ingestion of alcohol - do you think you need medical assistance?

D
Old 03-01-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mary, welcome. You are not alone. I suggest that making your way to hospital is probably the safest course of action. Withdrawal from alcohol can have serious consequences. There will be others along soon with more relevant experience.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Mary and welcome.
eat, rest, take a walk if you feel able. Stay and post on here, hour by hour, minute by minute if you need to
Old 03-01-2020, 12:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Help

My last drink was about 8- 10 hours ago. Don’t really know for sure. Yes, I’ve eaten and have had a ton of water. I have no choice but to sober up. I’ve gotta get off this maddening train at some point. It can only get better, right? I just want to sleep this off, but I can’t sleep.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Help

My last drink was about 8- 10 hours ago. Don’t really know for sure. Yes, I’ve eaten and have had a ton of water. I have no choice but to sober up. I’ve gotta get off this maddening train at some point. It can only get better, right? I just want to sleep this off, but I can’t sleep.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you drank windex, you need to go to the ER.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mary
I could never sleep the first night either, but things can can do get a lot better than day one.

this is an international community so there'll always be someone around - you're not alone

D
Old 03-01-2020, 12:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am concerned reading what you drank because it's likely you don't actually know when you last drank those things. They have very dangerous and reactive substances in them that can cause organ and brain damage. Especially the ammonia in Windex on top of your liver processing alcohol.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Help

I drank windex many, many days ago. I survived that.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Help

I drank windex many, many days ago. I survived that.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If your alcoholism has taken you to the point of drinking windex and hand sanitizer you really need to go to er then detox and then rehab! And I'm not trying to factitious or any thing like that because I know what it feels likes to go through alcoholic hell. But what you wrote had me mmediately starting to pray for you. Please get off of SR for now and get to the er. Do u have someone to take you there? I know everytime I had to go I could never drive myself because I just felt so bad physically, mentally and emotionally I could not even attempt to drive. Call an ambulance if you can't get a ride.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Mary is there any reason for not going to ER? It's just that suddenly stopping drinking is very dangerous for some alcoholics, and you seem to be very far along in the disease.

Medically assisted detox is also easier on you.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are you alone? You do need medical intervention. If you are in the States , call 911.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have drank hand sanitizer and mouthwash in desperate moments too. I was so anxious and paranoid that people were coming into my apartment and moving things around. Someone dropped a lid of tuna in the bathroom and left 20 dollars by my bed. I got secret cameras recording!

It turns out I was just being paranoid and my camera recorded me running around in a panic.
I then went to the ER. Got treatment for withdrawal. Detoxing from booze is so hard. Keep checking in!
Old 03-01-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Mary

It sounds like you are doing it really tough for a day 1. As others have mentioned, it is a really good idea to get some medical assistance if you have been a heavy drinker (which it sounds like you probably have been).
Days 1-3 are really awful to get through, and up to day 5 it is really dangerous to do it alone without medical advice - seizures are life threatening.
Doctors can also prescribe medications that will help stabilise you and let your body get back to normal (I took naltrexone to help with the cravings, and benzo-diazapam for the first five days as a sedative to calm the body and help with sleep).

It sounds like you are really committed to giving up drinking, but please do it safely. Get to your doctor or the ER straight away if you can - it will be so much easier on you and will be a much safer way to go.

Great to have you on this forum. Please keep posting (preferably after you have seen a doc) and read the many threads available which will equip you well for a good understanding of withdrawal and recovery - not to mention the fantastic advice and support of the SR family.

Take care of yourself. You are making a great decision to give up alcohol, but again, please do it safely!
Old 03-01-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mary, I'm so glad you found us and posted. The early days of sobriety will not be easy, but you can do this. If you are concerned about your withdrawals, you can always talk to your doctor or go to an ER. Other than that, eat well, hydrate yourself and try to get some mild exercise when you feel up to it.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, other than to say that it important for you to start stopping alcohol today. Don't put this off.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I didn't mean to be rude - but those chemicals can mess with your brain and your perception of time. Regardless, if you're withdrawing, a doctor's visit is in your best interest.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Mary. For the first several days, possibly longer, you won't sleep worth a darn. My vote is to not worry about that at all. Increasingly, those nighttime moments when you are not drunk and it is quiet, and your mind is calm, those can become precious moments of peace. Keep it really simple for the next few days. Pick your favorite food and go buy a ton of it. I ate raspberries and watermelon for days because that is what I wanted. You can do this. I hope you can get some medical attention and start to check out your options for support. In-patient rehab, out-patient rehab, ER help, AA meetings - I think you should look at all of it. Do what you can to get some assistance from professionals. You are ok. The world is still spinning and you don't EVER have to feel this way again. You are free now.