Notices

The opposite of addiction is not sobriety....

Old 02-29-2020, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The opposite of addiction is not sobriety....

The opposite of addiction is connected. This is the premise of a TedTalk I just watched, and it rings true to me. Have any of you watched it? If so, what are your thoughts?

I'm finding myself searching for any information I can find. Whether it's how to stay sober, why I'm addicted, etc. I know it's early days for me and I want to be armed with as many tools as possible. And I'll say thank you again to all you lovely people on this site who are helping others very day.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you mean the opposite of addiction is connection Kjma?

If you meant connection I'd agree. For my own part alcohol and intoxication isolated me from everything.

Getting sober has opened the world to me. I am becoming more connected to the world and to its people. No longer (getting there ) isolated and alone. Less afraid to be me. More connected to self.

If this is what Ted meant I'm with Ted.

But for me to feel connected I need sobriety.

Keep posting we are here for you.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Did you mean the opposite of addiction is connection Kjma?

If you meant connection I'd agree. For my own part alcohol and intoxication isolated me from everything.

Getting sober has opened the world to me. I am becoming more connected to the world and to its people. No longer (getting there ) isolated and alone. Less afraid to be me. More connected to self.

If this is what Ted meant I'm with Ted.

But for me to feel connected I need sobriety.

Keep posting we are here for you.
Yes, I meant connection. I have felt so completely isolated at times. I crave connection. I think we all do. I agree with you that I have to be sober in order to have authentic, and hopefully ever growing connections.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes!

It has been very humbling for me Kjma.

I'm still finding my way, but I love the way.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That makes sense. I’ve been a loner for the longest time. I have plenty of good friends that I keep in touch with now and then on social media. But they all live in different places after college. Now as a 43 year old man I feel isolated and don’t know how to make new friends. Loneliness is a big trigger.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ZIP

I'm no expert in life, but I can share this with you.

I ended my drinking career as an isolated drinker. When I finally began my out-patient program and mandatory group therapy and AA meetings, I finally started to re-connect with people.
Then, I started making some friends, who told me about their friends who volunteered a lot.
So, I started volunteering for charity-based sports events, like local marathons and worked my way up to bigger events like Hershey track and field competitions and NCAA track and field. And I rejoined my military veterans organization where I have a lot of friends.
I've completely changed my attitude about life... all due to sobriety. Like most things in life, you need big doses of effort. Effort to quit the booze and effort to let go of old habits. It's certainly doable.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Carl Jung was of the same opinion about 80 years ago.

" it can only happen to you when you walk a path which leads to a higher understanding. You might be led to that goal by [1] an act of grace or [2] through a personal and honest contact with friends, or [3] through a higher education of the mind beyond the confines of mere rationalism.

I am strongly convinced that the evil principle prevailing in this world, leads the unrecognized spiritual need into perdition, if it is not counteracted either by real religious insight or by the protective wall of human community."

Its a part of how a certain 'fellowship' works 😎
Old 03-01-2020, 12:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Craving connection is a likely cause of some of my ridiculous behavior while drunk.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah the talk with rat park? There's definitely something in it I think, ya
Old 03-01-2020, 03:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Yeah the talk with rat park? There's definitely something in it I think, ya
Yes! That's the one! A rat park certainly would have helped me avoid alcohol dependency.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Craving connection is a likely cause of some of my ridiculous behavior while drunk.
I wonder just how many of us could say this.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clarkkent11 View Post
That makes sense. I’ve been a loner for the longest time. I have plenty of good friends that I keep in touch with now and then on social media. But they all live in different places after college. Now as a 43 year old man I feel isolated and don’t know how to make new friends. Loneliness is a big trigger.
I'm willing to bet that sobriety will lead us to connectedness. Some of us used it to escape from loneliness (I know I sure did) but the crazy thing is, it exacerbates it. This site has shown me that there are people who truly do understand and care for others. This leads me to think that face to face meetings of whatever sober flavor are likely the secret door out-- the door that opens other doors to a big wide world of connectedness.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Carl Jung was of the same opinion about 80 years ago.

" it can only happen to you when you walk a path which leads to a higher understanding. You might be led to that goal by [1] an act of grace or [2] through a personal and honest contact with friends, or [3] through a higher education of the mind beyond the confines of mere rationalism.

I am strongly convinced that the evil principle prevailing in this world, leads the unrecognized spiritual need into perdition, if it is not counteracted either by real religious insight or by the protective wall of human community."

Its a part of how a certain 'fellowship' works 😎
What's the "it" ( the first word in this quote) referring to?

And I'm assuming you mean AA by 'fellowship'?
Old 03-01-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZIP View Post
I'm no expert in life, but I can share this with you.

I ended my drinking career as an isolated drinker. When I finally began my out-patient program and mandatory group therapy and AA meetings, I finally started to re-connect with people.
Then, I started making some friends, who told me about their friends who volunteered a lot.
So, I started volunteering for charity-based sports events, like local marathons and worked my way up to bigger events like Hershey track and field competitions and NCAA track and field. And I rejoined my military veterans organization where I have a lot of friends.
I've completely changed my attitude about life... all due to sobriety. Like most things in life, you need big doses of effort. Effort to quit the booze and effort to let go of old habits. It's certainly doable.
Thank you for sharing this. I think sobriety leading to connection was a missing piece of the puzzle for me.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have seen the video and it's been a while so I don't remember all of the details. I recall liking the general message in the video. There are a lot of positive pro sobriety anti addiction videos available on the web and I like to watch them occasionally to broaden my point of view.

That said I do not agree with the statement:

The opposite of addiction is not sobriety.

I think a more correct statement is:

The opposite of word for addiction is not only sobriety.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I haven't viewed the talk, but I'm sure it includes some interesting support for the claim, because Ted Talks are usually interesting, and probably some useful discussion results as well. But the claim by itself, does not resonate with me.

My goal is to be happy and content, and that goal is also the metric I use to measure my success. I think we could think of other things that might be the opposite of addiction as well, and those could also be interesting discussions. I've always felt some degree of connection, not so much with people, but a whole Hell of a lot with nature.

I'll close by saying MY opposite of addiction is the old standby; "Not being addicted" is the precise opposite of addiction. With that out of the way, I get to choose what I do with the rest of my life, something I could not do when I drank every day to excess. This makes me happy, content, and feeling quite fulfilled. So another opposite of addiction, might be the ability to choose and run one's own life.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Agree absolutely. I've heard it from various sources.

Perhaps the implied word to insert before connection is [healthy]. I didn't have true connection when drinking, let alone honest or useful.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
I have seen the video and it's been a while so I don't remember all of the details. I recall liking the general message in the video. There are a lot of positive pro sobriety anti addiction videos available on the web and I like to watch them occasionally to broaden my point of view.

That said I do not agree with the statement:

The opposite of addiction is not sobriety.

I think a more correct statement is:

The opposite of word for addiction is not only sobriety.
Fair enough. I can see what you mean. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Seeking connection with others for your own happiness is fraught with peril. People are inherently unreliable, dishonest and inconsistent. You're likely to become hurt and disappointed by others. Becoming self-reliant and confident in yourself forms the foundation that can lead to lasting stable happiness.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjma View Post
What's the "it" ( the first word in this quote) referring to?

And I'm assuming you mean AA by 'fellowship'?
It - sobriety.