Notices

Contemplation

Old 03-01-2020, 07:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Alcoholic provides a way to take a trip without leaving the farm. Speaking for myself, I have had to look at why I wanted to leave the farm in the first place. Much of it was manufactured and reinforced by the drinking, while much of it was not. Dealing with the issues of stress, anxiety, resentment, and fear are a big part of the process of quitting, at least for me.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I agree with your assessment that you have a problem. 70+ drinks/week would certainly be looked at by most as alcoholic drinking. The good news is you can get off this train at any time. I would develop a plan and get some help in the form of some kind of meeting. Talk to other alcoholics. Post here regularly. Most importantly call someone if you feel like drinking.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi. So, last night I had 3 drinks. Tonight I had 9. Thinking I need to drop it all together. I know it is going to get worse. I know it. I am pissed about it though.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi contemplation

you had two pretty much identical posts in two forums so I merged them here.

I didn't know what sober life would be like either - I imagined a great listless existence - no highs or lows just flat.

Then I was forced to quit - I nearly died, so...I quit.

After the transition period (which was rough but not nearly as rough than my drinking life) I started to remember a me before the booze and drugs - and that person came back to life.

I lot an addiction and regained a life. I think that's a pretty sweet deal.

That voice telling you you're not ready is just fear - its your Addictive Voice or what I call my inner addict.

Blackouts, nightly drinking,relationship problems, bad decisions, arguments.
Not much to miss there.

I assume you also have at least a couple of these - a little secret drinking there, some injury related drinking, some performance issues at work maybe and other responsibilities not met because you're ill in bed recovering. ...

You say you're scared you'll miss out on life if you quit - but aren't you missing out on life already the way you drink?

D
Old 03-02-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I am going to make today my day 1. I really do want to quit. I know my life, relationships, work performance, and many other things will greatly improve if I quit. I do fear it quite a bit though. I will keep coming back here for support. My plan is to take it day by day and not much more right now. I used to read a lot before the drink took over, so I think I will dust off my kindle and start doing some reading.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 03-02-2020, 03:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If you’ve never tried to quit drinking before, a good start is a 30 day reset. Most of my friends who found themselves drinking too much did a 30 day alcohol free quit. The ones who are not alcoholics were able to drink moderately after the 30 days. The ones who are, usually didn’t make it to 30, and had to make a larger and more permanent commitment.

Best wishes on your day 1. Hope you are feeling ok. If you start to feel really ill, best to visit a doctor. 8-10 drinks a day is nothing to trifle with.