Notices

Hardest Day Yet

Old 02-26-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hardest Day Yet

Hi. I'm having the roughest day so far. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks sober. It's all work-related and started at 9am, it's 3:30 now and has not gotten better.

I've been doing what I can to avoid the drink but it's getting worse as the day goes on especially as it gets later when I would definitely be drinking.

I feel kind of stupid for even posting this when many of you are dealing with horrible personal situations and maintaining your sobriety. My anger with all this work stuff has diminished and now it's just sad, tired and CRAVINGS.

Any uplifting words would be most appreciated.

MM
Old 02-26-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Some days are extremely awful, but overall it gets better and better. You've made it almost two weeks, so keep going. Find something fun to do after work.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Two weeks is fantastic! You can get through this tough day and tomorrow will be better and you will be stronger for having gotten through today.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it. you've almost made it to two weeks, do you want to throw all that away for a drink?
I've never woken up and thinking' I'm sure glad I drank last night'.
Your struggle is your struggle. I understand. I don't compare myself to what others are struggling with, I concentrate on myself. That's what matters.

Just don't drink today. That's all you have to do. Just today.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That short stretch at about two weeks was probably the worst for me in terms of thinking about reverting back to the old way of picking up beer and/or wine on the way home. The urge diminished each time I didn't do it and it quickly went away. Getting a tea at McDonald's instead helped a lot.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

2 weeks is great
Have you read this link yet?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two weeks is awesome! The link that Dee posted above is VERY helpful. I’ve used it quite a bit.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

marleysmama it aint easy but it is worth it.

I guarantee alcohol won't help with the stress.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh please don’t drink. It would just make whatever you’re feeling feel worse and also make tomorrow miserable (and likely many many days after tomorrow because it won’t be so easy to stop again, if you even can). It’s SO hard to get over these cravings, I know, but I also know that it gets easier and easier with time. You can do this! I know it might feel like you want to drink, but I know you really really don’t want to or you wouldn’t have posted. So don’t. If you have to, just get under the covers and hide until tomorrow and get another day in the books. Each time you get over a really hard hump like this, it’ll give you confidence for the next time. And it will get those sober muscles working so that eventually it’s not so hard to bat down these cravings. You got this!
Old 02-26-2020, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh and thanks for posting and not drinking!
Old 02-26-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey MM, does it help to know that it makes perfect sense that things are getting to you?
new sobriety is pretty raw, WE can be pretty raw and left with not many defenses.
i had a very angry-making workplace, and getting sober left me initially with no “default go-to”. with time, i got better in dealing with everything, found some things that helped me relax (i love the first few sips if my Rooibos Chai Tea with a touch of cream), and my brain/mind got better at not taking all the work-anger home. in ongoing sobriety, i could gradually stop feeding anger.
keep going and chances are you will find things not getting to you as much and find new, better ways of being.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great video on early sobriety.

Early sobriety video
Old 02-26-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
nez

There will always be hard days and easy days. The longer I am sober, the more easy days I have and the hard days get easier. When I encounter a hard day, I just remind myself that easy days are on the horizon. Hard days make me appreciate the gift that recovery is because my worst day sober is far better than my best day drinking ever was.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi MarleysMom. I'm glad you're here. Congrats on two weeks! Just my humble opinion, but can you get to a f2f meeting? Do you have a sponsor? I've been where you are. I've been around booze all my life, in and out of AA since the 80s. In the late 90s I had a year sober and then I was "cured". Haha! I went back out and drank off and on for the next 15 years. Four years ago, after the longest night of drinking ever, I woke up and knew it was time to stop. I went three years on my own, and then a year ago knew I had to go back to AA, or I would die, emotionally and physically. Sadly enough, the person that I had my last drunk with (a family member) passed away from cirrhosis two years ago. That was an revelation for me. Anyways, after three years of being a dry drunk, I went back to AA, got a sponsor and started working the steps again. Just my two cents. Keep coming back!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi MarleysMom, if you slipped up make sure that you come back here and move forward.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all, I'm so grateful for your messages. I pushed through and made it to 2 weeks!

I finished This Naked Mind this morning. What a great book, I'm sad I'm done!

I love tea now, and Ginger Beer (that someone here recommended). I had a Bedtime Yogi tea to calm me down and smoked WAY too many cigs.

THANK YOU again!

MM
Old 02-27-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks!

That's big!
Old 02-27-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

2 weeks is massive Marleysmama, I'm so glad you stuck it out and I promise you that it does get easier with time. Just take each day as it comes and stay focused on your sobriety. You can do this. xxx